The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 28, 2017, 08:23 AM   #26
Rifletom

rebs,
I'll try. With the butt-stock on the rear bag[if one is used],you gently squeeze the bag with your free hand and hold while the cross hairs stay steady on target. Between that and sand bags up front, you should be pretty steady at this point. Watch your breathing also.
Old April 28, 2017, 09:30 AM   #27
Danoobie

This is well worth a try...
Old April 28, 2017, 06:04 PM   #28
rebs

Quote:
rebs,
I'll try. With the butt-stock on the rear bag[if one is used],you gently squeeze the bag with your free hand and hold while the cross hairs stay steady on target. Between that and sand bags up front, you should be pretty steady at this point. Watch your breathing also.
I have a rear bag that I put rubber bands around the ears to hold them tighter to the stock, is that an acceptable method ? I am shooting and AR. Your method of squeezing the bag seems like it would be a better way to go.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:56 PM   #29
Rifletom

I don't think the rubber bands will hold steady enough. Try the method I mentioned and see how that works. By lightly squeezing the rear bag and getting a good, steady hold, I believe you'll see a positive difference.
Just take your time, and get used to it.
Old May 3, 2017, 09:27 PM   #30
Joe-ker

+1 Rifletom. I made my own lead sled/gun vise whatchamacallit but it won't accommodate AR's so I've been using the sandbag squeeze method and it works great. And thanks to the OP I will definitely be placing something under my bipod from now on.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:49 PM   #31
Ignition Override

Do military snipers rest bipods on sandbags?

I'm reading a book by Brandon Webb, who took over training for the SEAL Sniper School. Am only part way through this excellent narration.