The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2014, 04:40 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

Winter Projects / Maintenance -- After hunting season

So, my (big game) hunting season officially ended last night.

Now it's time to recondition the gear, get everything back in working order, plan for next year, and get back to work on winter (firearms) projects.

What all do you fellows have to keep you busy this winter?
(Whether or not your season has actually ended, or even opened, yet -- I know our seasons are some of the first to close and, in other parts of the country, many don't even open until at least Thanksgiving.)

For me, the "casualty list" is a bit worse than usual. I can't think of any tools or equipment that need help, other than firearms:
6 sling swivels need to be repaired in some manner. I don't know why they all decided to have issues this year, but they did.
Two rifles and a shotgun have an ongoing rust issue that I am determined to take care of this winter.
3 rifles need to have their zeroes verified due to maintenance or repairs.
One rifle needs to be refinished (due to many factors - including a bedding job that I didn't seal the wood afterward).
One rifle may need to be re-stocked. I'm tired of fighting the poorly fitting bottom metal, and being afraid to take the action out of the stock, because it takes 3 hours to get it back in and adjusted just-so.
And, I'm sure I forgot a few... It was a rough year for my rifles, even though they barely saw any use - some "broke" without even leaving the house - and there are a few things that need attention (like the re-stocking job), that have been on the back burner for up to 5 years.

Other projects include:
Finishing my 444 Marlin project.
Repairing two old Winchester shotguns (or determining that one is too far gone).
Firing the first shot from a basket-case AR upper that I've been working on since March. So many problems. So many headaches. I just want it to work....
And, trying to get serious about finding a proper load for a 6mm wildcat that I've been ignoring for ... 3(?) years. (Which happens to also be the rifle that may get re-stocked.)

So... What have you got?
Old November 15, 2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Panfisher

I rebuilt my wife's box blind a few weeks ago but am thinking about putting a roof on it. Got a little clearing of brush to do if I am up to it after chemo. Always some reloading to do.
Old November 15, 2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I have to do a full tear down of a Type 38 arisaka sporter after the 9 day gun deer season in wisconsin (nov. 22-30). Then it gets a new scope when put back together.

I have a Marlin 983s 22 magnum to put a scope on since it has a high cheek making it hard or near impossible to use the iron sights.

Then there's the Enfield #1 mark 3 that I picked up cheap with cut down stock that shoots great. Thinking of putting a boyd stock on it, maybe a scope or peep sight. Who knows.

Somewhere in this ice fishing will happen. But for now the focus is on having everything ready for deer camp Thursday morning.
Old November 16, 2014, 05:35 AM   #4
hooligan1

Three riflesbto be thoroughly cleaned including mine which seems to be caked with deer blood...
Frankenmauser you had a stretch of maintenance woas, but that'll keep you busy this winter, I'm gonna pick up a used rifle for youngest son and work on that this winter when not working.
Old November 17, 2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Deerhunter

Tree stands. They all need to come down once the season is over. New bolts in all of them. New cables on the hang ons and some new straps.

Then if I get around to it
New stock for the Ruger 10/22. I picked it up lightly used with a side folder on it. I want a regular stock or maybe a collapsible (make it shorter for my youngest daughter) and a scope for it

Scope, rings and rail for the Marlin 45/70

Scope for the AR

Then eventually I want to pick up / build and AR in either 300BLK, 6.6 or 7.62x39 for pig hunting. So that will be another project
Old November 19, 2014, 02:18 AM   #6
Scorch

Well, in addition to building rifles for customers (the usual occupation of gunsmiths in the wintertime), I am also restoring a Winchester 1894 and building a Mauser 98 custom rifle for myself. Probably throw in a Ruger 10/22 target rifle build if I have time. So, you know, just idling, not up to much this winter.
Old November 19, 2014, 05:24 AM   #7
Brotherbadger

Put down some lyme on a small plot. The soil is still way too acidic, so it's time for major action.

Reload some ammo. I do about 80% of my yearly reloading in the winter. It's the easiest time to justify as I won't feel bad about wasting a nice spring/summer day inside. My main project will be to find a load that will reliably cycle my AR.

Build a 300 blk upper.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "