The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 03:17 AM   #1
harathor

Colt vs Smith

I have several smith's in 38 special and 357. m28 6 in, m65 4 in, and m36 2 in. I was thinking about getting a colt detective special, trooper, police positive or some other 38 or 357 they made. I want to use it to shoot and have fun with so not looking for a NIB. Any tips on what to look for and such. Thinking between 2-5 in barrel for it.
Thank you.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:57 AM   #2
jason_iowa

I would love to have a colt revolver or 2. Right now is probably not the best time to pick one up though as it seems most guns are priced high due to the panic buying.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:09 AM   #3
MacGuffin

The Colt Detective Special is THE classic .38 snubnose! I found a LNIB vintage '67 DS many years ago that has the smoothest DA trigger I've ever squeezed! I thoroughly enjoy snubnose revolvers. Admittedly, my S&W M38 Airweight Bodyguard is my go-to snubby when pocket carry is the method of the day. But, that Colt DS is a prized piece that is in the family to stay!

Best of luck!
Old February 2, 2013, 07:48 AM   #4
CajunBass

Look for a 4-6" Official Police in 38. They're still available around here for a reasonable price, and are good shooters.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 2, 2013, 08:01 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

There are two types of Colt revolvers and they are not equal. The Python, Official Police and Diamondback all have the 19th Century lockwork. So did the Agent, earlier Detective Specials and Troopers. The MK III Trooper introduced a S&W type lockwork. Later Detective Specials and the King Cobra and Anaconda used the newer Trooper type lockwork. You can distinguish the action by looking at the location of the side plate retaining screw. The older guns have the screw near the bolt hole (cylinder stop) and the newer guns have them closer to the front of the cylinder.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
therealtwitch

A local gun shop posted on their site that they had a colt dective special for $350. It was sold in the time it took me to drive to get it. That's the second colt I've missed out on recently. I may never get a colt. I've always wanted one
Old February 2, 2013, 12:49 PM   #7
harathor

I passed up a police positive and a detective special both 38lol speial i should have piced up.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:46 AM   #8
highpower3006

If you look around there are deals to be had. Although with Colts you kind of have to define "deal". I picked up this Python a year and a half ago for $850. Not exactly cheap, but a bargain for a 1964 production gun in 97% condition.

Picked up this New Service in .45 Colt last year for $400. Cheap because of the refinish, it is as tight as new.

Found this 1977 DS last November for $500. Kind of at the upper price range for one of these, but easily a 98+% gun.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:22 AM   #9
salvadore

Good looking New Service HP, I like my Colts.

Old February 3, 2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I picked up a 6" .38 Spl. Official Police last February for under $400. Very happy with it.

The action is just beautiful, smooth and light (with some typical trigger stacking) and it's a hoot to shoot.

A few months ago I picked up a Police Positive Special in .32-20. I've not had a chance to shoot it yet.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:46 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The old V-spring Colts are beautifully made and a delight to fire. I have no real basis for it, but I have always felt that they were more accurate than comparable S&W's. But as practical guns today, they have drawbacks. They do tend to require service more often than S&W's or Rugers, and parts are becoming very hard to obtain, even from Colt. Plus gunsmiths who want to (and can) work on them are thin on the ground, and they are easy guns to damage if the gunsmith doesn't know what he is doing.

So mostly my Colts stay in the safe when the Smiths go to the range.

Jim
Old February 3, 2013, 02:03 PM   #12
royal barnes

I pocket carry either a Colt Cobra or an Agent daily and shoot them enough to remain proficient which is about 50 to 60 rounds per month but if I want to put a lot of rounds down range for fun I pick up my Smith 66 4".
Old February 4, 2013, 08:55 PM   #13
harathor

Sweet those look great all of them. So if I want to do a good amount of shooting, not heavy loads just lots of standard 38 special and some 357 if the one i get is chambered in that. Would a trooper or a lawman be a good idea to fill this roll? And if I just use normal 38 special would the detective special stand up rather well to a good amount of shooting? And were any of the 357's made with 3 in barrels?
Thanks for all the advice and the great pics.
The reason I ask this is my gf likes colt a lot as well so think it may be fun to have one in the collection to keep all my smiths happy.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:11 AM   #14
CajunBass

Quote:
If you look around there are deals to be had. Although with Colts you kind of have to define "deal". I picked up this Python a year and a half ago for $850. Not exactly cheap, but a bargain for a 1964 production gun in 97% condition.
I was thinking in terms of $350-400 when I recomended the Official Police 38 earlier, and it's still a good choice, but HP-06 is right about this. A lot of people get scared off the idea of buying a Python by the $1500-2000.00 price tags on the boxed, perfect guns you see around, but there are still good "deals" to be had on Pythons.

I found this one just a few months ago, October I think, maybe September last year for $800.00. Also made in 1964, it's got some holster wear, and grips are worn from use, but it still locks up and shoots just fine.

So don't rule out a Python off the top. You might have to look hard for one in that price range, and most importantly I think is you have to be ready to strike as soon as you see one. If you don't, someone else will.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 5, 2013, 07:52 AM   #15
highpower3006

Quote:
You have to be ready to strike as soon as you see one. If you don't, someone else will.
This is a very sage piece of advice. So many times I see post where someone finds a really good deal and is either unwilling to spring for it without an approval from the internet community, or they have to go home and think about it. The next day it's gone because someone else came in behind them and bought it.

Do your research, BEFORE you start looking seriously. Then when you see a deal BUY it, don't dither around wringing your hands about if you can find another one for $25 less.

Last edited by highpower3006; February 5, 2013 at 08:07 AM.