The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2012, 08:46 PM   #26
Crashbox

I've never used Unique but I did buy a pound of it as an emergency backup just in case I ran out of everything else. I do use Herco which in my opinion is a slightly slower, "magnum-friendly" version of Unique but that's just my opinion and nothing more.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:08 AM   #27
darkgael

Powders

Quote:
What is the comparison between Unique and Bullseye
Both are made by Alliant. Both are flake powders. Bullseye is a much smaller flake than Unique and meters better.
On a relative burn rate chart Bullseye is rated as substantially faster burning than Unique and is less suitable for use in magnum cartridges.
It is a classic for the 45 ACP.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:31 AM   #28
kimbers rule

I have a ton of unique that I bought before the last pres. elect. I use Bullseye in a Lee progressive press to load 45acp and it works good. Was wondering how Unique metered in auto powder measures?
Old November 5, 2012, 01:10 PM   #29
Jimro

My experience with Unique in a volumetric powder measuer is that charges over 4.0 grains were plenty uniform hovering right around +/- 0.1 grains. I was using the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, so your mileage may vary with the Autodisk, but I don't expect by much.

Jimro
Old November 5, 2012, 10:12 PM   #30
crowbeaner

Buy a keg of IMR SR4756; thank me later.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:54 AM   #31
darkgael

IMR

Another very versatile propellant is IMR 7625. It is very much "Unique-like" but meters better.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:37 PM   #32
rodfac

I use Win 231 or HP 38 for all handgun calibers in light to medium loads...the same as I used to use Unique. Win 231 measures far more uniformly than Unique, and burns cleaner. Charge wt's with 231 are a full grain or so less than Unique for the same velocity, so if you're budget minded, you'll be getting more loads per pound of powder with it as well.

I use it in: .32-20, .32 H&R, .32 Long, .30 Luger, 9mm, 40 S&W, .38 Spl and .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, all of the .44's, and both of the .45's. Universal it is!! It's delivered top grade accuracy in all of the above, equal to Unique or Bullseye.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.