The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2012, 02:46 PM   #1
jjmitchell60

Question as to 222 rem and 222 magnum dies?

I have a SAKO pre Garcia L461 that was 222 but some idiot reamed it to 223 (did not restamp it though) thus loosing any collecter value. It has select wood manlicher stock. I am concidering having it reamed out to 222 magnum and that way only have to stamp magnum under the 222 on the barrel. Ideally it should be indexed and taken back to a 222 but with it being a manlicher stock, really not feasable and keep original barrel thus the 222 magnum route.

Now my question, can I reload 222 magnum using standard 222 dies. I never full length size anyways being all I reload I do so for a specific gun. Any brass I get from one gun is put in a marked conatainer with the gun I shot it through listed on the container. So no chance of using brass from another gun so in that can I reload 222 magnum using my 222 dies?

Appreciate any advice.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Jimro

Short answer? Probably, but I wouldn't advise it. They have identical shoulders and shoulder angles, but different neck lengths and body tapers. So you could bump back the shoulder and resize the neck with a FL die, but I think you would get more body sizing than you really want on a high pressure round.

Jimro