The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 23, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1
maxdps

Need help picking a new gun!

I wanted some input before I buy my next gun. I am looking for a long range rifle that is the most accurate while using the cheapest ammo.

Yes that is probably a very bad compromise but let me explain a bit. I shoot a lot of rounds(or at least what feels like a lot of rounds when I look at my ammo bills...). I have no problem going through 20,000 rounds a year.

I shoot on my own property across a valley in the mountains of Colorado. I shoot targets anywhere from 100 yds to the longest distance I can hit 2000+ yds when I get lucky with my .50 cal. I have several .22's that get a lot of use because of the price of the ammo. However I am wanting something with a lot more accuracy down range. I own an AK that gets a bit of use also because of the ammo cost, but it too is not a great long range weapon.

Last year I bought an Anzio Ironworks .50 cal rifle that I love however every time I pull the trigger I am thinking about 5 dollars flying down range. So now I am looking for something I can shoot a lot of ammo through at long ranges.

I don't care about the price of the gun. To me the gun is a good investment. As a matter of fact I would prefer a quality gun. It just needs to fire the cheapest accurate ammo possible.

To further qualify what I mean by cheap, what is the most accurate long range gun and ammo load that you can find ammo for less than .25cents a round?

I realize this is asking a lot, and I realize I'm not going to be shooting 1 inch groupings. However most of my joy in shooting right now comes from setting up targets across the valley at 1000, 2000, 3000, or more yards and seeing how many shots it takes to hit them.
Old September 23, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
big al hunter

Wow....for those ranges and cost savings? For a good ballistic coefficient and a heavy enough bullet to travel that far, 338 caliber. 338 win mag ammo is available at most locations. I would go custom built on a rem 700 or win 70 action, heavy barrel, free floated, New trigger. For the least expensive ammo that is accurate as you can get, hand load your own. you can get a starter kit for 250$. That is going get cost of ammo as close to .25 per round as possible, but that is still going to be closer to 1$per round. And you can match the ammo to your rifle.

Last edited by big al hunter; September 23, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
The Long Shot

There is no way in hell you can buy off the shelf match ammo of any centerfire cartridge that meets your requirements for less than .25 cents. You can reload as big al hunter said.

With cost considered, I'd recommend the .308. There is a wealth of off the shelf match ammo and reloading components for it. With the .308 you can target shoot out to a mile. Also, it'll really test and improve your skills. It's fun because it's challenging. With both the OBR and P308 i can hit a 16 inch steel plate at a mile every time.

For a complete gun, I'd recommend either a pof-usa p308, or a larue obr. I personally prefer a p308. For long range make sure that you hand pick your gun, checking for any imperfections.

If you would like to build a gun, just get high quality parts that fit what you would need.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:58 AM   #4
maxdps

Well after a ton of research I went and bought a Savage 10fp in .308. The 308 seems to be the only cartridge that I will even get close to 25 cents a round with loading my own. For the price of the gun (Ordered one for 600), I figure I can try it out and see if I am happy with its capabilities for the price. They seem like very capable guns and loads out to 1000 yards and I really really don't want an expensive round to shoot.

If I like it I will probably start upgrading the gun and buy a reload kit.

Thanks for your suggestions!