The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 30, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1
deadeyedeadyote

Strange question, need assistance!?

Hi everybody and thanks for taking the time to read this. I live in upstate NY near Buffalo and own a shotgun registered to me but I may be moving down to NYC for a career in the next year or so and dont have the time or money to go through their process for getting a rifle/shotgun permit. I was wondering if it were legal to store it in a storage space in westchester county and keep like the barrels (since i have a cantilever rifled slug barrel which cost more than the whole shotgun with the shot barrel alone). Does anyone know if keeping parts of a firearm in the 5 boroughs of NYC illegal? Do you think I should just keep the whole thing in storage disassembled? I really don't want to sell it but I will if I absolutely have to
Old July 2, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Folks, answer the question - if you know it. We are not going to allow editorial comments and city/state bashing.

I deleted one such. Further ones will have penalties. We are trying to be polite and stay on point.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

While I cannot profess any knowledge of the current NYC laws (sorry), I cannot see a barrel alone being a problem, as it is not a firearm.

However, NYC has a reputation for not being "reasonable" about their firearms laws, even to the point of not accepting permits issued in NY, outside of NYC. (lived in NY state for 18 years, and this was the case then).

If you are going to store the gun, seems foolish to keep the barrel with you, to me, anyway. The odds of the barrel being lost, or damaged during moving (or after), or even stolen while you are living in NYC are irrelevant, IF you don't take the barrel with you. Also, if you store it outside NYC, their laws don't apply.

My advice is store the gun, and all barrels & accessories, in a secure location. Someplace covered by insurance, so that if the worst happens, you can at least get something back.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Stressfire

Quote:
While I cannot profess any knowledge of the current NYC laws (sorry)
Nor I, but do you have a trusted friend or relative who could "baby"-sit for you?
Old July 7, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
mightyoakwildlife

NYC Firearms Registration

If a thief were to discover an entire shotgun, it would likely become a trophy of his efforts. A partial shotgun, unusable in it's discovered state; perhaps not. If you take the time to disassemble your shotgun, you may as well take the allowable pieces home with you. Any measure of discouragement to theft is better than none.

You may keep your parts, but not all of them. The barrel, buttstock, forearm, etc. is allowed, without registration or permit. The receiver, and only the receiver, is restricted. If posessed in NYC, it MUST be registered with them.

As you probably already know, the "permit" will set you back one full morning, part of the afternoon, and approximately $235.00. There is no additional "cost" to register your rifles and shotguns, although they MUST be registered.

Storage units are very cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and interior temperatures change rapidly here in the Northeast. Dampness and condensation are your firearms' enemy. Storage units are generally uninsulated steel/aluminum boxes with concrete floors.

Where will you be using them? Do you have a reliable friend/relative/hunting partner outside the five Boroughs with whom you can store the receivers? In their secure home, can you store the entire firearm? I'm not too fond of the idea of unsupervised storage of firearms, like a rental unit, so I suggest the home or business of someone you know. Sucks to have restrictions such as these to deal with, but you do what you must.
Old July 7, 2012, 07:45 PM   #6
youngunz4life

answering OP

it shouldn't be an issue and I don't believe it to be illegal.
Old July 16, 2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Tininjun

"You may keep your parts, but not all of them. The barrel, buttstock, forearm, etc. is allowed, without registration or permit. The receiver, and only the receiver, is restricted. If posessed in NYC, it MUST be registered with them.

As you probably already know, the "permit" will set you back one full morning, part of the afternoon, and approximately $235.00. There is no additional "cost" to register your rifles and shotguns, although they MUST be registered."

Could not have said it better. accurate and ON POINT

here is the info for NYC rifle/shotgun permits

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pe...ormation.shtml
Old July 16, 2012, 11:13 AM   #8
poptime

Seems like a reciever might fit into a bank safe deposit box?