The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1
mac266

.223 primer troubles

I'm having a slight issue, and I'm not new to reloading. I am, however, new to this problem!

I'm reloading .223 to have a practice AR-15 round (cheaper than duty ammo). When trying to load Federal brass, I can't get either of two brands of primer to seat (CCI and Federal).

Yeah, Federal primers won't seat in Federal cases. Whoda thunk?

I verified I'm using the right size primers, and both brands of primers seat just fine in my Winchester and PMC brass.

So what gives?

I don't mean they're a little tight, either. I mean they won't go in AT ALL! What do I do about this? I have a ton of Federal brass and it gives me nightmares to think about throwing it away.
Old January 23, 2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Is this Federal brass from their M193 military loads? If so, they will have had crimped primers and you will need to either cut the crimps away with a primer pocket reamer or to swage them aside with a primer pocket swaging tool. If you have many to do, the Dillon 600 is by far the fastest tool to own and is worth it for quantities of any serious kind. It will force any primer pocket to be large enough in short order.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 23, 2010, 06:51 PM   #3
mac266

This is not military brass. I have a swaging tool for military brass, and easily recognize the primer crimp.

Good question, I should have clarified that in my first post. But, not it, try again.
Old January 23, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Have you tried running them through the swaging tool? I've seen a couple instances in which Federal brass, because it is softer than most, will deform at the head easily and give either a loose or a squeezed-tight primer pocket, depending on the bolt face shape, just because they were loaded a little warmer than was best for them.

Also note that the softer rims bend easily in a semi-auto and that can force them to be off-square in a shell holder, making priming problematic.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:01 PM   #5
mac266

Hmmm...no, I haven't tried to run them through the swager (since they weren't crimped), but that might loosen them up a mite.

On the other hand, these are once-fired from factory loads. I'd hope the folks at Federal wouldn't make such a hot load as to deform their own brass!
Old January 23, 2010, 07:06 PM   #6
hodaka

Federal is the only brand of brass that I don't pick up at the range.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:52 PM   #7
sway

yea what hodaka said. when i started reloading .223 i had different brands of brass i used and the only one that gave me trouble were the federals, i could never get the primers to fit correctly. i avoid picking up federal brass for reloads.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:11 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Another non-federal brass man here. Every time I've dealt with it, it has given me problems. I won't even consider using it.
Old January 23, 2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Red_Eagle

Have you tried uniforming the primer pockets? I use the tools Lyman makes, and it's eliminated alot of my problems in this area.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage
Old January 25, 2010, 09:40 PM   #10
steven-223

you can use a deburring tool to cut the crimp out
Old January 26, 2010, 02:05 AM   #11
Hammonje

Never had an issue with FC brass. I clean the pocket, trim edge with RCBS deburring tool, and seat CCI 41 primer.
Old January 26, 2010, 08:44 AM   #12
thallub

What the Hodaka, Mrawesome22 and Sway said. I would use Federal brass only if it is the only thing available. Federal brass takes a lot more work. You have to re-work the primer pocket using a primer pocket uniforming tool and/or a deburring tool.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:32 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

As Mac said, he has a swaging tool. That should do it (though the prettiest and easiest to seat into primer pocket profiles I've seen are cut by Wilson's tool for their case trimmer; it's just more time consuming). I use my Dillon 600 on a lot of brass as a matter of routine, just to keep it uniform. Swaging does upset the brass around the perimeter of the primer pocket a little, and that can flatten part way back inward on firing, so it sometimes takes a second swaging after the first firing.

Opinons on Federal brass are all over the map. Like the fellows above, Dan Newberry says he considers it unsuitable for reloading. There have, indeed, been reports of factory loads that deformed the brass (usually, loosened the primer pockets). AR extractors bend rims even on hard Military brass in some loads, so bending the Federal is no challenge.

On the other hand, you run into match shooters who've had Federal brass serve them well, particularly in .308. They claim the softer brass doesn't work harden to the point of cracking as easily as some other brands. They are not loading to maximum pressures, either, and that's likely the main trick with it. I've never had trouble with low pressure Federal pistol brass, either. Federal .45 ACP holds up as well as any other for target loads and has required no special treatment.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:34 AM   #14
sourdough44

Even if you don't 'see' a crimp there I'd still proceed as if there is one. After that the primer should seat no problem.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:10 PM   #15
MR 8x57js

mac266
What is the headstamp on the brass your having problums with?