The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2006, 11:30 AM   #26
biglabsrule

Ill be up at 4:30, I've been going deer hunting from a climber stand for weeks now. Been normal seeson for 2 weekends and went out during muzzleloader. Still haven't seen anything worth taking, just shot a coyote this last weekend, one shot droped him and he only ran 20 ft before he was down...

edit: oops just thought about this, this saturday was the 4th, so I took a coyote and saw 2 does later in the day.... but I'm looking forward to this next saturday now, it's great they just keep rolling around, think I have a few more(3) during regular season
Old November 9, 2006, 01:44 PM   #27
nickE10mm

Mark Twain Nat'l Forest for me....

I'm hunting new ground this year.... looks to be several hundred acres of virgin untouched land... no houses or property lines and only accessible by boat .... very nice. I'm planning on being up by 4am, leaving our dock down the hill by 430am or so and then navigating through to the back of the long cove on Table Rock Lake in the dark, cold and FOG (lately). Once we beach the boat, it will be a steep climb to get up onto the plateau where I will find a spot with the wind at my face and the sun at my back and hunker down for a few hours. The idea is to be at my spot by 545am or so. Depending on if it rains the right before like its supposed to, I may even venture around for some still hunting to explore even newer territory. I'll have my trusty longslide 10mm stoked w/ 200gr DT XTP's of course..... however, my step-brother said that there are some longer shots available in that area so I'll probably bring the .243 also.... I'm planning on making a backpack and staying out dawn to dusk. I can't freakin wait.

Car's all loaded up and I'm cuttin out of work an hour early to get on the road down to Lampe, MO in just under two hours. Life is good.
Old November 9, 2006, 02:20 PM   #28
Twycross

I'm gonna try to be out and in position before dawn. Unless I get lucky, I'm probably going to wind up hiking a good ways farther than I've ever been into this chunk of canyon.

On a side note, we just got our first snow here today.