The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 20, 2006, 07:08 AM   #51
youp

There is a lab sharing our living quarters that will bite you if you would come in ununvited. You would be advised not to reach into my truck or boat either. Mike will make up to you, his time and way. If you try it you had better have a fast hand. He is not trying too hard to bite, but will protect what he thinks is his. I did not train him this way. If you mess with enough dogs you will discover that you actually do little training beyond come, sit, stay, and maybe a few hand signals. A great hunting dog was born to be great and a sorry dog was born to be sorry.
Old February 20, 2006, 09:39 AM   #52
superpelly

Shorthair --- Nice looking dogs.
Old February 20, 2006, 09:53 AM   #53
HangFire83

I am very pleased with our family's german short hair. He's easy to clean since the short hair isn't a magnet for burrs. He is a little rowdy around kids but he has never let us down in the field. Also, the slight web in his paws makes him fairly nimble in the water.
Old February 20, 2006, 11:22 PM   #54
Shorthair

Quote:
Did you ever watch that hunting show called, Hunting With Hank?
Don't think so. But I agree with the premise, and would add "kids" to the list of things never to be spoiled.

Quote:
From my post #25
I read the post, was only commenting on the statement identified.

Quote:
Shorthair --- Nice looking dogs.
Thanks, but they aren't perfect. Time training pays off in the field, that goes for all the time. If you think you can train your dog once, or that he'll just kind of figure it out when you take him afield, no breed, line or individual dog will fail to disappoint.
Old February 26, 2006, 10:07 PM   #55
Jseime

Quote:
Vicious, unsocialized hunting dogs have no place in the fields.
or any other place for that matter.

Our farmyard mutt is a golden lab who goes by flash (or stupid depending on circumstances). He was never trained to hunt but has a natural instinct for it it seems. He loves to run and retrieve things and holds them quite gently in his mouth which is a bonus (although he does slobber a lot). He also loves the water. Chasing birds seems to be his biggest joy in life aside from laying on your feet and sleeping.

Any experience that i've had with golden labs is that they are quite smart and extraordinarily affectionate. Flash loves his people and hasnt bitten anyone in his five years of life. A warning though, labs chew everything they can get a hold of until they are three years old. Flash doesnt chew anymore he just carries shoes around and slobbers on them.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:19 PM   #56
firestorm9mm

here is my bird dog a brittney spaniel she is great with the kids and hunts harder than I do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angel 005.jpg (51.3 KB, 22 views)
Old March 2, 2006, 01:38 AM   #57
Ranger Al

I am still confused.... I know Labs are super smart dog (but didn't want what my buddy have a lab). I am tempted to go with Springer due to their size and would have to deal with their coat. Although, GSP is still a dog I wish I could have. Who know, maybe I'll get both! I just hope the wife wouldn't make me live outside with them! lol
Old March 2, 2006, 06:05 AM   #58
Lloyd Smale

I guess i look at it this way. My dog is 95 percent my friend and part of the family 5 percent a hunter. Ive have many differnt breeds of dog and my current dog is my first lab a chocolate. I will NEVER have another dog other then a lab again. Hows that for strong feelings. You will never find a kinder gentler more loveable dog then a lab. Now mine can be a dumb ass and chews everything he can but has wormed his way into my heart and is the first dog i can honestly say truely is my best friend.
Old March 2, 2006, 11:01 AM   #59
roy reali

Too Popular

There is nothing wrong with labs, except their popularity. They are ranked number one on the AKC popularity list. This has caused many to engage in poor breeding practices.

I have a friend that trains field dogs. He has had labs show up that did not have any birdiness in them at all. He would plant a pigeon in a release box and the dog had no idea what it was or what to do.

There are labs that are great hunters. But with this breed a potential owner really has to do their homework to make sure his dog comes from a hunting line. Less popular breeds tend to keep their hunting instincts intact.

Overbreeding is big problem. Look at German Shepards, another popular breed. Police departments have to import dogs from Belgium or Germany to get ones that still work the way they were intended to. Americans have overbred them into uselessness.

While I generally detest government interventions, I think we need some control over our dog breeding programs. In many countries dog breeding is highly regulated. I realize that soinds unamerican, but those countries do develop superior dogs.
Old March 5, 2006, 04:07 AM   #60
maas

topgun i have to agree i think black looks better also. also all i have to say is WOW!!! i never thought so many people liked the german shorthair/wirehaired pointers i always thought they were kind of a cult secret. around here (northern california) its rare to see a shorthair and un herd of to see a wirehaired pointer. when my grandparents got their first one they had to go to idaho to get it.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 5, 2006, 11:05 AM   #61
roy reali

Re:maas

Being rare or uncommon are good things in the dog world. Improper breeding usually does not affect the less common breeds. I have noticed that in the last few years that German Shorthairs are creeping up on the AKC popularity list. That is not a good thing.

I do think our dog breeding programs should be regulated to some degree.
Old March 7, 2006, 06:39 PM   #62
jhgreasemonkey

I Had A Bluetick Hound When I Was A Small Kid. It Was Very Gentle. Also Incredibly Smart. It Could Open Doors With Its Mouth. And My Dad Taught It To Fetch The Paper And Deliver It To The House Every Day. The Only Drawback I Can Think Of Is That It Would Love To Run Long Distances. We Lived On Acreage So It Was No Big Deal But It Could Be A Problem If You Are Going To Keep It Contained In A Small Area. One Day I Hope To Get Another One.
Old March 9, 2006, 12:57 AM   #63
NevJohn

Well, I dont hunt anymore, but that doesnt mean I dont have any birddog. Below is a picture of my little Brittany pup, Bailey, 8 mos old. This pix taken over Presidents Day weekend, out in Calif Desert. Here she is with my son's Dalmation, playing retreive with a tennis ball. This pup is "birdie" though, even though she hasnt been trained for hunting. She works "off leash" with verbal and hand commands; but of course, still have aways to go.

I got her to be my companion, as my wife (and me, I must admit) also have Doxie's. When she's around the Weiner's, she is a terror. When it is just us 2, then she works quite well. Hopefully her training with command more and more. My wife has spoiled her so much!!

SW642 .38spl
Old March 21, 2006, 01:34 AM   #64
Scorch

Over the last 26 years I have had (in this order) an English Setter (great dog for quail and pheasant), a Weimaraner (softest mouth I ever met, good for pheasant and waterfowl), and Brittanies (energy and enthusiasm), which I feel are the best for the type of hnting I do. I have also hunted over labs, GSP, Viszlas, and Chessies. Take a look, play with some, see which ones you like, and get one. I don't know that there is a BEST bird dog, except for the one pointing a bird right in front of you.
Old March 22, 2006, 09:17 AM   #65
Mikkel

Get yourself a German Vorsteh dog. They are smart, can and will hunt anything and tough as hell. Also a very good family dog, ive raised mine with my two year old son. No problems.

http://www.deutsch-kurzhaar.ro/literature.htm
Old April 12, 2006, 07:13 PM   #66
Anthony2

Long post but proves the quality of the breed.

IMHO, whatever breed you choose be 100% certain the dog is purebred.

I myself have a GSP he weighs in at 90lbs. and is the best dog I have witnessed in the field...Unfortunately when they are exposed to people they become very protective of said people.

My GSP is literally twice the size of all the other GSP's around here and is all muscle...I will give you two prime examples of what to look for in a hunting dog.

1- Our neighbor owns a wolf/german shephard/malamute mix named Timber(read: very big, stupid and tempermental dog) Now for the past 2 yrs this dog has grown a little and has yet to get past the playfull stage. About two weeks ago I was walking my GSP behind my home and Timber decides to approach me...my GSP some 50yds. out immediately comes to my call and sits down at my feet...Timber continues his approach and my GSP makes no movement other than a barely audible growl...Having been attacked to the point of bleeding by Timber, while I am no small fry I am still intimidated by such a large dog...At this point he is literally within about 6 inches of my GSP and begins to growl and bark at me!
Now I am a little worried both for the safety of my GSP and Timber(If he attacks me or my GSP I feel required to euthenize him) I tell my GSP to "Get him" although I was more wishing than expecting it to happen.
Well, long story short my GSP with at least a 60lb weight disadvantage...knocks Timber to the ground...and lunges for his throat!

Thankfully the thick coat of Timber protected his life...At this point I tell my GSP to "release" and "go get in the pen" Very much to my amazement he releases the now visibly and audibly scared Timber and walks the 1/4 mile back to our house and enters the pen!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
2-Last spring my GSP sat stock still in what appeared to be a laying down or crouching point...For over a half hour I watched out the window wondering what was going on...Finally curiousity got the better of me and I had to investigate. What Happened? A baby pheasant had walked through the yard and somehow or another had managed to get within reach of the GSP...When I got to the dog the baby pheasant was in his open mouth and the dog was stone still with the most helpless look I have ever seen.

Not to mention, everytime he enters a field at least one bird gets pointed.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me