The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 16, 2005, 08:35 PM   #1
tomlj75

what is the posibility of an 18-20 point buck

my father and a couple of other park ranger swear up and down that they have seen an 18-20 point buck in the park where he works, i have never hunted that land before, but i think i will try it this year if an 18-20 pointer is possible. any help would be appreciated
Old January 16, 2005, 09:12 PM   #2
bill k

Only in my dreams.
Old January 17, 2005, 03:43 AM   #3
NSO_w/_SIG

totally possible

probably a typical 8 or 10 point with a bunch of stickers, not that far fetched.
Old January 17, 2005, 03:45 AM   #4
mete

A 19 point buck was taken in my neighborhood in NY state but it would be considered non-typical.
Old January 17, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5
Jseime

eeek

by the time they get that many points they are uuuuuuugly :barf: . they look like mutants id go for a nice big 5X5
Old January 19, 2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Rojoe67

likely non typical?

I guess it's rare but many have been taken..... also rare an albino doe who lives in a fast growing neighborhood (mine) She ran through my yard on 2 different days and even posed for a few photos before jumping a fence and swimming across a small creek. To top that it was in mid day and at least 10 neighbors and I watched her on the first visit.... Dogs barking didn't even phase her.... very cool
Old January 19, 2005, 11:27 AM   #7
stever

There was a 30+ point buck taken in Westmoreland County, PA this year. I saw a photo taken from a news clip at the forums on www.huntingpa.com
Old January 19, 2005, 08:08 PM   #8
pinkfloydman

actually, in a small hunting camp in alberta canada, the guides tell you to wait and not shoot at the 12 pointers, casue those are average, the biggest ones get into their 20's, and yes, their typical
Old January 20, 2005, 09:44 AM   #9
NSO_w/_SIG

A typical 20 some point? Come on now we are getting a little out of hand. That is 10 to 12 typical points on each side of the rack. I've never seen, heard, read or even dreamed of such a thing.

Of course there have been deer documented with points into the hundreds, mostly all of them are sticker points though or something else real funky, but never out of all the magazines and books I have read, videos I've seen or deer I've killed have I ever heard of much less seen such an animal.
Old January 20, 2005, 10:28 AM   #10
Rmouleart

A 28 point buck was taken a few years ago off great bay road in New Market, The guy shot the buck with a arrow at close range, the buck ran off, not to be found bye the hunter, but bye a resident, the buck died in the middle of the street, come to find out it was the archery hunters deer do to the arrow did not shoot through and his name was on the arrow That buck looked like a Xmas tree LOL. If there was twenty trucks there the next day hunting a small peace of woods that skirts the bay. I guess maybe they thought there be another, ya right LOL.Aim small hit small. RAMbo.