The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 2002, 03:49 PM   #1
Jeff, CA

First 870. Left shell latch loose - is this a problem? When built? Accessory barrels?

Well, I finally got an 870. I promised myself a while back if I ever saw another one on the used rack for under $200, I'd grab it. It's an express, 25" or 25 1/2" vent rib barrel. Well-used, and it looked like it had never been taken down for a full cleaning, but in top condition otherwise.

1. The receiver isn't stamped "Magnum", so according to the note on the barrel, it's a 2 3/4" only?

2. When I took it down, the left shell latch came out. The trigger assembly seems to hold it in place OK when it's assembled. Should I have it restaked?

3. It has a flex-tab carrier and no dimples in the magazine tube. Can anyone tell approximately how old that makes it?

4. Remington's web site lists a smoothbore, IC, rifle-sighted "express deer barrel" (about $130), and if I read my parts list codes correctly, a smoothbore, Rem-choke, matte finished "special purpose deer barrel" for about $60 more. Am I right on this? Any experience with either of these barrels? Any opinions on which one to choose? I'd rather have the choke tubes in every barrel myself.

Old December 14, 2002, 08:59 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I'd have the latch spring restaked. There's always a chance the original stake areas are deformed, and this will sometimes allow the latch to move around enough to make trouble.

As far as I know, all current Remington barrels are chambered for the 3" Magnum shells. These barrels will fit and work on your 2 3/4" gun. Although the gun is safe to shoot the 3" rounds, they will not eject since the gun has a non-Magnum ejector. For a reasonable cost, a Magnum extractor can be installed.
Unless you have a need to shoot 3" shells, I'd just save the money and stick with the 2 3/4" shells.

If you like the interchangeable choke tubes, I'd spring for the extra bucks to get the more expensive barrel. A short, rifle-sighted, interchangeable choke barrel is about as close as you can get to a "do anything" gun.

By switching chokes and shot sizes, with this setup you can:
Hunt deer with slugs or buckshot.
Hunt turkey with shot.
Defend your "digs" with buckshot.
Murder various game birds with the appropriate choke.
Kill innocent endangered animals like "Skeet".
Assassinate squirrels.
Old December 15, 2002, 06:36 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on new toy.

TTBOMK, all Expresses are set up for 3" mags. Does the serial Number have an M as the last symbol? Unless you're after waterfowl, turkey or like pain, whether it's capable of handling 3" mags is moot.

Get the shell latch staked. Some do work loose, and it's a 5 minute job for the smith. One did the latch on my TB for free.

As for a bbl, yours has Rem choke capability, right? You're set for everything but HD, CD and Deer hunting with slugs already.

One good bbl to add to your setup would be a 20" matte bbl with rifle sights and choke tubes. A rifled tube aids with slugs, and one can pattern with his/her HD load of choice and pick a tube that gives the best pattern at a given distance.
This is what my Deer 870 has, and it's quite a good setup. That second bbl you cite is it.

After that,all you need to do is buy ammo, use up, repeat.

HTH....
Old December 15, 2002, 01:04 PM   #4
Jeff, CA

The serial no. does have an "M" at the end. I take it that means it can handle 3"? I do plan to stick with 2 3/4 as advised, but if this gun can handle 3", it will fill the only gap left in my shotgun battery if I should ever need it.

The barrel is set up for Rem-choke, and came with an IC tube.

Dave, what's a TB?

Old December 15, 2002, 01:29 PM   #5
johnbt

The early Express guns did not say Magnum on the receiver, but were. My uncle has one.

Mine is marked Magnum and was made in 1993.

If yours has the original barrel there is letter code on it that gives the month and year of production.

John
Old December 16, 2002, 04:50 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, Jeff, A TB is a trap B grade 870, the letter refers to the level of wood and on some shotguns, a little overbore for the C grade.

Yours will handle 3" mag shells.

With an 870 and two bbls as described, there is NO gap in your battery.

Add a couple more tubes, I'd get at least a Modified and a Full, maybe add a Cylinder for some closer shots.

Now buy ammo, use up, repeat....
Old December 16, 2002, 09:18 PM   #7
Jeff, CA

Thanks all.