The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 21, 2018, 11:46 PM   #1
raimius

Suppressed .22 bolt actions

So, after trying out a Ruger American with a can, I have to say, suppressed .22 bolt guns are a ton of fun.
I tried some of the CCI Quiet stuff, and it is pretty much Hollywood quiet, but it doesn't group worth a darn in my rifle. Federal standard velocity was making 1.5in groups at 50yds pretty reliably.

What's the consensus here on how to make the most accurate, stupidly quiet guns?

Old July 22, 2018, 08:40 AM   #2
BillM

Like any 22 rimfire rifle, it will have a preference for some ammo. My Savage FV-SR
with Liberty Kodiak LT can LIKES Aguilla sub-sonic. Well under 1/2" at 50 yds if I
do my part--loudest sound is the bullet hitting the target. It does almost as well with
CCI sub-sonic. Doesn't shoot Remington subs worth beans.
I keep some of the Aguilla around, but usually stock up on the CCI--as it will also operate
the action on my SBX barreled 10-22 and shorty 22-45's. The Aguilla will not.
Old July 22, 2018, 08:34 PM   #3
B.L.E.

My 1885 Winchester low wall single shot has shot one hole groups at 50 yards using Wolf MT, and it's so quiet that I often shoot it without hearing protection, even though my rifle is not equipped with a suppressor.
CCI standard velocity is nearly but not quite as accurate.
My understanding is that Wolf MT is not sold anymore, however SK Standard Plus is said to be the same ammo.
I have only gotten so-so accuracy with Remington, Federal, and Winchester ammo, good enough for hunting but not good enough to win matches.
Old July 23, 2018, 05:07 AM   #4
Mobuck

The "quiet" is too much of a good thing IMHO.
Try CCI sub-sonic HP. In my RAR, it's as accurate as the optic allows. The "clink" of the striker is the most significant sound of the firing sequence. From the RAR, groups with CCI sub-sonic are 1/2 the size of Aguila sub-sonic (which is pretty darned good itself).
Old July 23, 2018, 01:00 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...Hollywood quiet..." Gun shots in TV and movies are not real gun shot sounds. They're made by sound techies.
"...most accurate..." Same as any .22. Try a box of as many brands as you can. The price means nothing.
Old July 23, 2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Jim Watson

True, Mobuck.
I have a Walther with 27" barrel and with the old old CCI standard velocity in non-glossy green and white paper boxes, it was about pellet gun quiet. As accurate as I could hold the barleycorn sights, maybe 2.5" at 100 yards on my best days.

Current production SV is louder. I need to try some of the special purpose stuff.
Old July 23, 2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Old Stony

Winchester standard velocity is pretty accurate out of my Ruger bolt with a can. The CCI sub sonic does pretty well too...but occasionally I find one that seems very underpowered, like maybe not enough powder?
Old July 23, 2018, 07:06 PM   #8
2wheelwander

Gun Tests did an article on supressed .22's this month. IIRC the Savage was the favorite, CZ close behind.
Old July 23, 2018, 08:47 PM   #9
B.L.E.

Quote:
I have a Walther with 27" barrel and with the old old CCI standard velocity in non-glossy green and white paper boxes, it was about pellet gun quiet.
An extra long barrel almost equals a suppressor in .22 rimfire and there's no extra paperwork to go through. My 24" barrel rifle is not that loud with standard velocity ammo.

Sort of like the 32 inch long Metro barrel extension tube for 12 gauge shotguns. At the very least, the muzzle is 32 inches farther away from your ears.
Old July 24, 2018, 07:50 AM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...Hollywood quiet..." Gun shots in TV and movies are not real gun shot sounds. They're made by sound techies.
Yes, we know. That’s the whole point of his comment.

“Hollywood quiet” is a common term in the silencer world. It refers to a silencer/host combo (usually a suppressed bolt-action .22) that’s so quiet it approaches the fake sound a suppressed gun makes on TV and movies.
Old July 24, 2018, 07:29 PM   #11
Unconventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
Yes, we know. That’s the whole point of his comment.

“Hollywood quiet” is a common term in the silencer world. It refers to a silencer/host combo (usually a suppressed bolt-action .22) that’s so quiet it approaches the fake sound a suppressed gun makes on TV and movies.
It's no use. I don't think he revisits any threads where he has posted.

Anyway, regarding the OP, I have one of those cheap Little Badgers in .22lr and when I shoot it suppressed (not very often) I use my Octane 9 HD. It's the most accurate .22 I've ever shot. I have a cheap 3-9x scope on it as well.

I'll use the term "stupid quiet", but I might get told that "there's no such thing".

I've tried the Aguila Colibri and compared the sound both with and without the suppressor. The suppressor makes no discernable change to the volume, but it does change the tone. Without the suppressor it was like a ping pong ball against a paddle. With the suppressor it was like a racquet-ball hitting the floor. It simply sounded lower and more hollow.
Old July 25, 2018, 06:12 AM   #12
Mobuck

The CCI "Quiets" are 710 fps while the sub-sonics are around 1020-1050(from a 16" barrel). The difference in performance (beyond a few yards) is drastic.
Old July 25, 2018, 08:27 AM   #13
zeke

Another fan of CCI 1050 fps subsonic, especially the copper washed segmented version. Extremely accurate/quiet when suppressed in 16 in Savage. Have not shot any pests with it yet, but expect good performance.

The 710 fps "Quiets" have the trajectory of throwing a rock.

Last edited by zeke; July 26, 2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old July 25, 2018, 08:51 AM   #14
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconventional View Post
It's no use. I don't think he revisits any threads where he has posted.
Yeah, he posts the same incorrect information over and over again no matter how many times he’s corrected. Maybe when TFL switches over to Xenforo he’ll start revisiting threads since it will automatically notify him when someone quotes his post.
Old July 26, 2018, 04:46 AM   #15
raimius

Quote:
The 710 fps "Quiets" have the trajectory of throwing a rock.
HAHA, YES! I can see the round arc before impacting at 50yds, as long as I'm using a white target.
Old July 26, 2018, 06:56 AM   #16
Road_Clam

This thread is just PERFECT timing ! Just last night I bought a mint used Ruger American 22LR with the intent of hosting my Sig 762SRD Ti suppressor. Bought about 600 of the CCI "Quiets" and 500 of the Aguila subsonic . I also have the Revolution 45 suppressor in .45 but I need a special oddball thread adaptor to run this can as the Rev45 threads are .578 x 28 .

Last edited by Road_Clam; July 26, 2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old July 26, 2018, 10:21 AM   #17
Sharkbite

Road clam, is your Sig can able to be taken apart and cleaned?

I ask because 22lr deposits lead into the can. It needs to be cleaned out or you can ruin the suppressor.

Im not sure what kind of sound reduction you will get with a 30cal can on a 22lr
Old July 26, 2018, 04:32 PM   #18
smee78

I have a Marlin stainless 882 I had threaded and it is super fun with subs. It is amazing how quiet these bolt guns are with a can installed. I have not sat down and put the gun on paper but it will shoot minute of coke bottle.
Old July 26, 2018, 06:36 PM   #19
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Road clam, is your Sig can able to be taken apart and cleaned?

I ask because 22lr deposits lead into the can. It needs to be cleaned out or you can ruin the suppressor.

Im not sure what kind of sound reduction you will get with a 30cal can on a 22lr
My Sig can is sealed. No worries, i've learned that shooting cast lead is not a problem as long as you shoot a minimal amount of cast, then shoot jacketed supers to "blast clean" all the lead deposits. I used a bore scope through my can before and after shooting cast and this method works awesome.
Old July 27, 2018, 08:42 PM   #20
Road_Clam

Got to the range today with my new Ruger American, shot both Aguila subs and CCI Quiets. Interesting data. Aguila was the clear precision at 50 yds, but at 100 yds they both shot about the same. You would have thought the Aguila would have grouped tighter at 100 yds, but not really the case. I have to do something with the trigger it's tough. I measured the pull and it's about 5-1/2# pull. Ended up needing about another 11.5 MOA of elevation from 50 yd zero to reach 100 yds. WHISPER fart quiet with my Sig 762SRD Ti can. Flawless action cycling. WAYYYY too much fun with this rifle, glad I went with the Ruger after doing some research. Raimius, i'm curious how your American shoots the subs ?

Last edited by Road_Clam; July 27, 2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old July 28, 2018, 12:42 PM   #21
raimius

Federal Target Match is doing a reliable 1.5in at 50yds. CCI Quiets are more like 6-8in groups at 50, which is disappointing. My scope turret just decided to unscrew rather than let the cap go, so it's going back to Leupold for a while.
Old July 28, 2018, 06:25 PM   #22
B.L.E.

Quote:
. CCI Quiets are more like 6-8in groups at 50
In my rifle they weren't that terrible at fifty yards.

There is a lot of drop though, I used the bullseye as the aiming point.

Same range, same size target but shot with Wolf MT

Wolf MT at a different range, this one indoors so there are no crosswinds to worry about, also, I think the diamond shaped bullseye helps to precisely line up the scope crosshairs.
Another factor that may have caused that high flyer in that outdoor range group is head and tail wind. A tail wind will make a bullet hit high and a head wind will make a bullet hit low. Cross winds will push a bullet to the left or right, and will also make it hit high or low. In a right hand twist barrel, a crosswind from the left will push a bullet to the right and down, and a crosswind from the right will push a bullet to the left and up. This climbing and dropping in crosswinds is one of the reason bench rest shooters like a rifling twist that's only just enough to stabilize the bullet. Bench rest competition is largely a wind reading contest.

Rifle was a Winchester 1885 single shot (low wall) with a 24 inch barrel and a Leupold 2-7X rimfire scope.

Last edited by B.L.E.; July 29, 2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old July 28, 2018, 09:32 PM   #23
Mobuck

In my 16.5" threaded 10-22 the Aguila SS solid nose is the best grouping ammo I've found. Switching to a new RAR compact threaded, I got decent groups with the Aguila sub-sonic but found that CCI sub-sonic HP cut those 3/4-1" 75 yard groups by 1/2.
Old July 30, 2018, 06:20 AM   #24
Mobuck

Road Clam, that's a huge can on the little RAR.
Old July 30, 2018, 06:47 AM   #25
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
Road Clam, that's a huge can on the little RAR.
Agreed. Considering where I am at currently with db suppression with my .30 cal suppressor on the RAR I highly doubt it's worth another $400 + the 6 month wait time for the stamp on purchasing a dedicated 22LR can. I also have a smaller Revolution 45 can that is serviceable . Going to try that can on the RAR as soon as I get my thread adaptor.