The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 24, 2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Chainsaw.

Does synthetic absorb moisture?

I only have one BP gun, my first, a cheap knock off 1860 army. I enjoy shooting it but as Im sure you can imagine, it doesnt get shot much. I have a pound of pyrodex synthetic powder, when I purchased it I shot several cylinders with no issue. Well this weekend I had several weak shots and one fizzle. The powder stays in the original can in my flam cabinet inside my garage. I live in the mossy northwest but have never had a problem with my other powders.
Sooo. All that to ask the question in the title, does syn BP absorb atmospheric moisture?

Would a desiccant bag in the pound container help?
Old June 24, 2018, 07:02 PM   #2
Pahoo

Yes but normally not much.

Quote:
All that to ask the question in the title, does syn BP absorb atmospheric moisture?
The short answer is yes but so do most BP replacement propellants and smokeless. Don't know that it creates a big problem on either. On BP and Pyrodex as most of the stuff starts happening after ignition. …..

Try this yourself; Take a zip storage bag and pour some of your BP propellant in it. Seal it tight and lay it out in the hot sun. Give it some time and check it for condensate inside the bag . …..

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 25, 2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:15 PM   #3
Chainsaw.

Oh good trick Pahoo. Ill try that.
Old June 24, 2018, 09:17 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

My father gave me a bunch of old Pyrodex. The price tag said something like $9.99 (less than $10 for sure). Two of them had been opened. It had been kept in his outdoor shop where the A/C was only turned on while he was in it. Seemed just fine with no hesitation.

But I’ve read of people having issues with subs and I do put a dessicant pack in my Triple 7 powder. Certainly can’t hurt anything.