The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 2, 2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Jakeway

Cattleman II piercing primers

I have a new Uberti Cattleman II with the retractable firing pin. I've only fired it 25 times so far, and all the primers have very deep craters. Two of them actually pierced to the point you can see light shining through.

These aren't powerful loads: Winchester Cowboy Action 250 gr LFPRN.

The firing pin has very squared off edges, not the typical rounded firing pins on other guns.

Have others experienced this, either with Cattleman II or the original versions of Uberti SAA?

(I'd post pics, but I haven't found a photo posting site I like since Photobucket started charging.)
Old May 2, 2018, 04:48 PM   #2
mehavey

How much pin protrusion beyond the recoil shield is evident?
(Use some automotive feeler gauges to judge)

"...As a general rule, centerfire rifles and handguns usually measure between .050” and .060”.... "
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=10379

.... and....

Quote:
(I'd post pics, but I haven't found a photo posting site I like since Photobucket started charging.)
Try https://postimages.org/
Old May 2, 2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Wyosmith

No firing pin should have square edges. Try stoning them off so you have a radius. That will probably fix the problem.
Old May 2, 2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Quote:
No firing pin should have square edges. Try stoning them off so you have a radius. That will probably fix the problem.
+1
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 2, 2018, 06:56 PM   #5
Jakeway

Closeup of firing pin profile, light showing in pierced primer, outside of pierced primer, and two that didn't pierce but were close. They all looked like this.

Old May 2, 2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Tidewater_Kid

The edge should be rounded on that firing pin. Factory defect in my opinion.
Old May 2, 2018, 07:13 PM   #7
mehavey

That is the squarest firing pin I've ever seen ... ever !
Fingers & Wyosmith have got it right: jeweler's file and round it off.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:36 PM   #8
Hellgate

It's hard to imagine that got through parts inspection then fitting & final inspection. That's a defective part. Too bad it is not mounted on the hammer. I can see the recoil shield getting scratched trying to file it round.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old May 3, 2018, 06:10 AM   #9
mehavey

Cock the hammer back...
https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content...er-400x295.jpg
...and you've got plenty of clearance.* **

* Better yet, drive the pin out and do things free-hand

(I'm surprised at the picture. Even that pin looks square to start.) (????)

Last edited by mehavey; May 3, 2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old May 3, 2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Jakeway

It looks like they put the pin into a fixture and ground the end to make it the proper length. Not only is it squared off, but very flat and shiny on the face. I look a diamond file and rounded it some, then used a very fine stone from my knife sharpening kit and smoothed out any burrs. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and test it some more.
Old May 4, 2018, 08:31 AM   #11
Trum4n1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeway View Post
It looks like they put the pin into a fixture and ground the end to make it the proper length. Not only is it squared off, but very flat and shiny on the face. I look a diamond file and rounded it some, then used a very fine stone from my knife sharpening kit and smoothed out any burrs. Hopefully this weekend I can get out and test it some more.
Let us know how it does! Hope it performs a bit better now in this regard.
Old May 4, 2018, 08:46 AM   #12
Hellgate

I need clarification: is the firing pin mounted on the hammer or in the frame with a spring that retracts it when the hammer is pulled back (at safety, half or full cock)?
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old May 4, 2018, 12:39 PM   #13
Jakeway

You can do a search on YouTube that explains it better, but it's a new form of safety (release din 2016) that looks like a fixed-position firing pin mounted on the hammer, but in reality the firing pin "floats" loose inside the hammer. There's a rod or pin that rides in a channel cut inside the hammer; when the trigger is pulled and held pulled, a spur on the trigger pushes the rod upward inside the hammer, which forces the firing pin to be extended fully. The firing pin stays out as long as you hold the trigger. When the hammer falls, the trigger fits through a hole in the frame, striking the primer on the cartridge.

This allows you to safely carry six rounds in the cylinder, because if you drop the gun or strike the hammer, the firing pin stays retracted inside the hammer and doesn't touch the primer with enough force to fire it.

In the picture above, I had to pull the trigger in order for the pin to stick out so you could see it.

Having said all that, I think I'll still only load 5 rounds and leave the hammer on an empty chamber.
Old May 5, 2018, 08:00 PM   #14
Jakeway

My dies and reloading supplies for the 45 Colt came in this week, so I rounded off the firing pin a little bit, loaded up 10 rounds each of five different powder charges with 200 grain LRNFP bullets, and headed for the woods. Primers looked good and I think I found a good loading. I need to get used to the sights and the trigger pull (This is my first centerfire handgun of any kind, and I only shot it 25 times before today) but I think this loading will work for awhile.

One target is from 10 yards and the other from 20. The large black circle is 11", the light orange ring is 6" and the orange bull is 3". The one picture might show on your screen sideways; the ten yard target is centered but a bit low.

Old May 5, 2018, 08:17 PM   #15
mehavey

Quote:
...rounded off the firing pin...
Primers looked good...
Good show
Old May 6, 2018, 10:24 AM   #16
Hellgate

Perfecta mundo!