The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 16, 2018, 03:17 PM   #1
horseman308

Mixing pure lead to hard-cast for BPCR boolits

I've got a small stash of hardcast bullets in various calibers I don't own and don't need to load for. I was considering melting pot down to mix with pure lead so I can cast more for my Sharps and to try some paper cartridges for my Pietta NMA. About what ratio of hard-cast to pure should I go for?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old July 16, 2018, 06:04 PM   #2
44 Dave

Only pure lead for the NMA, the Sharps does not get lead shared off when loading,may use a little harder bullet.
Old July 16, 2018, 11:42 PM   #3
Hellgate

Just melt down the hardcast and mold bullets for other than a BP firearm. Save the pure stuff for the NMA and maybe mix 1 part hardcast to 10-20 pure for the Sharps. Check what other Sharps shooters would do on the BP silhouette sites or the long range BP shooters sites.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 17, 2018, 04:20 AM   #4
HiBC

For cap and ball,other muzzle loaders pure lead is the right thing.

For your Sharps.. You know,you probably are not talking about a lot of metal.
No need to get too carried away overthinking it.
If you do not have lead hardness testing tool,and if you don't know the alloy of the "hard cast" bullets you have,some guesses and assumtions will have to do.
Now,for future reference,Mike Venturino's "Shooting the Buffalo Rifle" And a couple of Paul Matthews books will give you plenty to work with.

A common commercial cast bullet alloy might be 20 to 1,lead to tin.
You might look up Lyman # 1 or #2 alloy,to get some ideas.

What you have is an unknown.

At this point,you don't know what your rifle likes.That matters in the mystery of BPCR.when you go for ultimate accuracy.

But the Olde Buffalo Hunter got by.

Wild guess,30 to 1 might be near what you need,+ or -.

Odds are good,your bullets are about 20 to 1.

So,try 2 lbs bullets to 1 lb lead,load some and see what happens.

Lube matters with BPCR,and the SPG lube is a good choice.

Good Luck!
Old July 17, 2018, 06:28 AM   #5
horseman308

Thanks guys. I should have given more info. I use 20:1 in my Sharps now; I just happen to know exactly what goes into that recipe.

I've been using pure lead RB's in the NMA for a while but just got a bullet mold to try making paper cartridges. I wondered whether I could use the hard-cast in the paper cartridges (doubtful) or melt and recast them a little softer (maybe....). I use Emmerts lube in the Sharps and crisco in the NMA.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old July 17, 2018, 09:07 AM   #6
maillemaker

I also currently use 20:1 in my Sharps, and while the accuracy is better than pure lead, I have not been incredibly impressed with it so far (Pederoli 1859 Cavalry).

I want to use wheel weight lead mixed with pure lead. Bought a Lee Hardness Tester and have been meaning to experiment to find the correct wheel weight ratio to equal the hardness of the 20:1.

Steve
Old July 17, 2018, 11:15 AM   #7
rodwhaincamo

There is a lot of stress upon loading projectiles in a cap and ball revolver. Pure lead runs around BHN 5 and one shouldn’t go too far above that because of the stress on the loading lever, screw, and frame. Eventually something will bend or break.

If I’m not mistaken Kaido’s bullets were something like 7-8 BHN.
Old July 17, 2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Hellgate

Hopefully you got a rebated bullet like the LEE 200gr conical that will make a fine paper cartridge. Still use pure lead on that too.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 17, 2018, 07:18 PM   #9
ThomasT

If it were me as long as the hardcast ratio isn't too high I would mix it. But don't flux the lead and see if the tin and antimony will float to the top so it can be skimmed off. Or better yet find someone to buy the unwanted bullets from you and use the money to buy the alloy you like to use.
Old July 18, 2018, 06:07 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

You need to visit this site

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63