The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 5, 2018, 07:04 PM   #101
9mm

The range I am a member at only goes to 35 feet or 10.5 yards.. I like to put my targets in the middle and testing my carry guns I max out the range. I have shot 15-25 yards at another range for testing my carry guns max range. Not all SD shootings can happen under 7 yards.. I like to know where the bullet drop and sights hit at longer ranges..
Old July 16, 2018, 08:37 PM   #102
mgulino

I usually shoot the XD9 at distances from 7-15 yards. I stretch the distance out to 20-25 yards for the revolver.
Old July 17, 2018, 06:33 AM   #103
craddleshooter

If for personal defense start at 7 yds with a B-27 target. It's kinda a head, shoulders, torso type target. If your groups aren't that good move it to 3-5 yds until you are consistently shooting tight groups (don't worry about whee the groups are at this time. After you ar eshooting tight groups, move the target back to 7 yds or so. Onc you are getting tight groups then you work on shot placement which is sight alignment, grip, trigger pull, etc. If you know someone that is an experienced shooter, enlist their help as a coach to watch you as you shoot to see what you are doing correctly and incorrectly.
Old July 20, 2018, 04:49 AM   #104
ROCK6

I go from an arm's length out to 25 meters, to include weak-hand racking/shooting, numerous magazine changes, FTE/FTF drills, shooting from your back or side, multiple targets of varying distances, shoot-n-move drills, using barriers/cover, etc.. It's a tool for a job that will never be defined until it happens.

ROCK6
Old July 20, 2018, 07:29 PM   #105
craddleshooter

I train at these distances: 3 yds, 5 yds, 7 yds, 10 yds, 15 yds, and 25 yds. Note, these are in yards, not feet. The reason I train at these distances is because these are the distances I will be at when I do firearms qualifications.

However, what are you training for? Is it self-defense? If so, anything past 7 yards is more than likely overkill, and the way I would train is to try to get off rounds quickly and in center of mass. Target shooting so you can hit a one inch by one inch square SLOWLY is not good training for self-defense. You want to be quick, accurate (on Center of Mass), and be able to get many rounds off quickly. There are many other drills that I would recommend if interested, but you only asked about distances.

If you are trying to target shoot, then any distance would be an interesting challenge. If you have a competition you are going to join, find out from them where the targets will be and how large. This will give you the answer you are looking for.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on
Old July 22, 2018, 11:14 PM   #106
3Crows

I usually shoot at 10 to 15 yards. All calibers. I practice for head shots.
Old July 23, 2018, 10:57 AM   #107
the possum

I haven't been to a shooting range in like 18 years. I just shoot in Dad's back yard or around the farm at targets of opportunity. Most of my practice is focused between 7 to 30 yards, but I also like to know where I'm hitting at 50 and 100, just in case I only have a pistol on me if a coyote shows up. When the fields are bare I even plink out to 900 yards or so. Needs to be pretty dry to see pistol bullets kick up dust at that distance.
Old August 8, 2018, 12:08 PM   #108
RaoulTheDuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoits View Post
Tail gator,
IYO what is a good group at various distances, starting at25 feet?
I'd like to know this sort of thing as well. For instance, what's a good grouping a 7 yards for a glock 20?
Old August 8, 2018, 12:32 PM   #109
pblanc

I now belong to a club that allows the use of target stands that can be set up at any distance up to 100 yards.

I used to shoot at a public range that only allowed shooting from the stand and did not allow one to use target stands. The shortest range had target back stops set up at 25 yards, so that was the shortest distance one could shoot at if one followed the rules.

I have shot at a number of private indoor ranges that have mechanical target followers that can be positioned anywhere up to 25 yards.

I am not a very good pistol shot at ranges of 25 yards or greater. I don't plan to hunt with a handgun, so 25 yards would seem to me to be about the maximum plausible range that I might be forced to shoot a handgun in self-defense. Most of my handgun shooting is geared toward self-defense so I typically shoot at ranges anywhere from 3 yards to 25 yards, but probably 75% of the time I am shooting at a 7-15 yard distance.

As for what is a good group size for a Glock 20 at 7 yards assuming good ammo, I would say one ragged hole would be very good. I certainly know shooters who could accomplish that in slow fire. Obviously, rapid fire would be different. For myself, I would probably be happy if I could keep all the shots within a 2 1/2-3" group shooting free hand.
Old August 8, 2018, 11:25 PM   #110
COSteve

All my shooting is at longer ranges in keeping with my motto of, "Aim small, miss small" so I shoot pistol at 25-50yds minimum and rifle at 200yds minimum.
Old August 9, 2018, 12:29 AM   #111
Cirdan

The indoor range I go to only goes out to about 35 feet. I used to shoot at 21 feet (7 Yards), which some consider "self defense" range. In other words, most self-defense shootings are much closer than that.

Finally decided that was too easy (blowing out the x ring), and I wasn't improving. Now I shoot at the max.
Old August 21, 2018, 11:17 AM   #112
texgunner

On paper, 7 to 15 yards. On steel I'll shoot out to 50 yards.
Old August 21, 2018, 12:02 PM   #113
LineStretcher

If your handgun is your personal defense weapon then I suggest 5ft, 15ft and 21ft. You can and should know how you and the gun perform at greater distances so you'll learn your limitations but I would not be overly concerned with anything beyond 25 yards. Hunter guns like my Super Blackhawk can easily shoot accurately to 100 yards but it is not what I would consider a personal defense weapon. I also do not consider my 1911 Kimber a good carry weapon but I do think it's a good backup home defense gun so I practice with it at the same distances as my Sig P238 .380 which is my primary personal defense carry gun.
Old August 21, 2018, 05:04 PM   #114
gwpercle

The older I get , the shorter the range has become.
Back in the day...25 and 50 yards !
Now that I'm old , blind in one eye and half blind in the other , the range is down to 7 , 15 and 25 FEET !!!!
Getting old is tough !
Gary
Old August 27, 2018, 10:28 PM   #115
warnerwh

Almost always yards. I have spent time at 50 and 100 yards but very little. No defense shooting for me. I think I will have no problems at such close range in defense without sights even. I have spent quite a number of hours point shooting though and defense shooting is boring to me.
Old August 28, 2018, 07:37 AM   #116
mrdaputer

I shoot at a outdoor range and use my metal targets at 25 yards or more to be on the safe side
Old August 28, 2018, 10:46 AM   #117
LineStretcher

My local indoor range has automated targets that can be set at any distance. The self defense class there uses 9, 15 and 21 ft. The class is taught by active and retired Reno PD and Sheriff's. I was there the other day and they were teaching 6 rounds slow fire at 9 ft then 12 rounds slow fire at 15 and finally rapid fire at 21 ft. Max rounds per mag was six to teach mag changes. They didnt teach timed sessions which I do to up the stress level a bit.
Old August 30, 2018, 07:21 PM   #118
Ben Dover

I shoot at 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards. Mostly at 7.

Targets are large variety of "realisitc" Speedwell. These are pictures of actual people. Most that I use are "Hostage" targets requiring headshots.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.