The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2018, 07:01 PM   #1
MarkCO

Federal Gold Medal Grands

Federal recently brought out a new paper (red) and plastic (skived white) family of 12g shotshells called Grands.

I have tested them quite a bit on pattern boards, Trap, 3Gun, Sporting Clays and they are legit. Some of the best shells I have shot. The shot column is a bit shorter, the pellet count on the pattern board a little higher and the recoil is a little softer than the other shells (Win AA, Rem STS/N27, Rios, Fiocchi, B&P, etc.) I have used. If you have not tried them yet, get yourself a case (or 5). They have a $2/box rebate, easy to do online, on them.
Old June 4, 2018, 07:14 PM   #2
FITASC

And what were your patterns and what gun and choke did you use?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 4, 2018, 10:33 PM   #3
JT-AR-MG42

Googled the ammo and I'm very pleased to see what looks like a
new production 12C1 (the original, two piece) wad being used.
It was the only wad I loaded in paper (the higher cost was worth it to me) and am hoping the wad will be sold as a component.

JT
Old June 5, 2018, 10:00 AM   #4
MarkCO

FITASC, I have used 9 different shotguns, most with 3 or 4 chokes in testing this. I found that, for the most part, to get an equivalent pellet count inside the 30" calibration ring on my pattern board, I could drop a choke size and with my Browning, 2 choke sizes.

I have not heard if the new 2 piece wad will be offered as a component, but I hope so too.