The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
rogerxvr

lee auto-prime 11

Do they still make the auto-prime 11? I lost my parts to do small rilfe primers... any HELP?
Old August 9, 2011, 03:07 AM   #2
10-96

Yes, I saw them at Midway, Midsouth, and I think at Natchez. The one's out now seem to all have square plates that I guess more betterly match most square primer box trays. It takes some eye-balling to get the large Federal try to line up with the old round Lee plate without dropping one or two primers.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 9, 2011, 07:31 AM   #3
mehavey

Do any of the newer AutoPrime parts (i.e., the body and the squeeze handle) fit the older model? (The squeeze handle is the thing that seems to be the most vulnerable to breakage over time.)
Old August 9, 2011, 07:05 PM   #4
rogerxvr

the auto prime mounts on top of the press.
Old August 9, 2011, 08:18 PM   #5
snuffy

Quote:
the auto prime mounts on top of the press.
The lee RAM PRIME mounts on a single stage press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=728999

The lee safety prime also mounts on a press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=548630

The auto prime is a hand held primer. Like the new auto prime XR.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=413473

No, the handles do not interchange from the older round tray auto prime. Only the shell holders are the same.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 9, 2011, 08:34 PM   #6
TXGunNut

XR still getting mixed reviews. Glad I have a few old ones while they work it out.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 10, 2011, 10:36 AM   #7
snuffy

Welllll, I have a new XR, and it works quite well. It IS a better designed priming tool, it addresses the SUPPOSED problem of a whole tray of primers exploding because the one being pressed into the shell pops. Some ham handed gorilla may have hit the priming lever to get a primer to pop, I never have, that's for sure!

There's an elevator on the front that raises one primer above the level of the rest of the tray while one is being pressed into the shell. Also, there's a partition that further separates the main primer supply in the tray from the one being elevated.

It seems to be easier to press each primer with the new one.

My statement above is partially incorrect. The body of the old auto prime WILL work on the new XR. The tray, and cam assembly will go in and work. But one thing they changed on the new body is the top is wider to accommodate the WSM family of cases with their wide bases. On the old version, a dremel tool had to be used to open the top to allow the case to slide into the shell holder.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?