The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 31, 2023, 08:26 PM   #26
9x19

I have a few firearms chambered in .17 HM2, and they are a much better pill for small game than the .22LR.. and it's pretty dang good.

I had a Summit receiver with a Beyer barrel for a time, but never really warmed up to it. That barrel is back on a 10/22 receiver (using a Volquartsen HM2 bolt).

I now have four semi-autos and one bolt gun, but I've been a fan of the round since it was introduced in the Ruger 77/17, and have owned numerous other guns chambered for it over the years.

Good luck and have fun.
Old January 31, 2023, 10:05 PM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
CCI Standard Velocity is the extent of my special 100 yard 22 LR ammo. I did see an article about Shot Show 2023 about Norma Extended Long Range 22 LR ammo: https://www.ssusa.org/content/best-o...%20300%20yards.
Cutting Edge made a similar claim about their solid high BC bullets--and I bet there are some shooters that are getting that. I bought a boatload of them thinking that if you can consistently hit 12" at 600 yds, you should be able to get near 1 MOA at 200 to 300. I've never succeeded with my reloads, though I have a few times got MOA or under with RWS factory ammo under absolute calm conditions (dawn or dusk).

Last edited by stagpanther; February 1, 2023 at 03:21 AM.
Old January 31, 2023, 11:02 PM   #28
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
But take another step and look at how much less drift there is, and even more importantly, is it something the shooter can use? or use easily??
It bucks the wind enough to be advantageous over other HV .22 lr rounds at 100 yards on small game and vermin. It has a similar trajectory and drift as a .22 WMR with 30 grain V-Max bullets, but averages better than $5 cheaper per 50 rounds. $80-90 a brick isn't that much more than some of the better .22 lr offerings.