The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 30, 2022, 01:12 AM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Fast draw practice pistol?

Several years ago, I remember reading in one of the printed gun magazines about a SAA clone from either Uberti or Pietta that was a full-scale, full-weight, NON-firing version that was created specifically to allow fast draw competitors to practice with a gun that was always safe. If I remember correctly, the cylinder wasn't bored through, and it was locked into the gun so you couldn't swap in a live-fire cylinder.

I can't find any information on it now, and I don't remember which of the Italian clone makers produced it. Does anyone know? And does anyone know if they are still available?
Jeepaholic
Old October 30, 2022, 08:08 PM   #2
Hawg

I've never heard of any of the Italian repro makers making a non firing model. Maybe it was one of these? https://collectorsarmoury.com/old-we...on-firing-gun/
Old October 30, 2022, 08:56 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
I've never heard of any of the Italian repro makers making a non firing model. Maybe it was one of these? https://collectorsarmoury.com/old-we...on-firing-gun/
Nope.

I've seen those. They're pot metal junk. The review I read was specifically about a real firearm, made by one of the Italian SAA clone makers, that had a solid or plugged cylinder that was non-removable. The gun was intended expressly for completely safe dry fire practice.
Jeepaholic
Old October 30, 2022, 09:16 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It might have been this: https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc...olver-c244.htm

If so, my memory is playing tricks on me, because I definitely think I remember that the revolver in the review I saw was non-firing, not blank-firing.

I'm also not interested in paying $500 for a blank-firing replica when you acn buy real guns for the same or less. My understanding is that Pietta makes these blank-firing replicas primarily for sale in the U.K., where they aren't allowed to own the real thing.
Jeepaholic
Old October 31, 2022, 11:10 AM   #5
Pahoo

Daisy

Would that CO2 Colt copy by Daisy, work for you? Don't know if they still make them but can be found. I have one that I use, during safety instruction.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 31, 2022, 12:32 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
Would that CO2 Colt copy by Daisy, work for you? Don't know if they still make them but can be found. I have one that I use, during safety instruction.

Be Safe !!!
Umarex makes one and it's only a few oz. less than a Colt. https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-Peacem...00RPPFWIS?th=1
Old October 31, 2022, 02:01 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
Umarex makes one and it's only a few oz. less than a Colt. https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-Peacem...00RPPFWIS?th=1
I have one of the Umarex BB-firing models. It's nice for what it is, but something recently revived my curiosity about the non-firing version that is (or was) built on an actual firearm chassis. I may be remembering incorrectly and the article I read may have been talking about the 9mm/.380 blank-firing replicas ... but I don't think so.

I'm curious about the Pietta blank-firing version now ... but I'm not $500 curious. If I were to win the lottery, I'd buy one in a hearbeat, just to see what it really is.
Jeepaholic
Old November 9, 2022, 11:55 AM   #8
bladesmith 1

Is the game of " fast draw " still played ? It does seem to fit in with your " certified instructor - NRA Chief RSO/CMP RSO classifications. Just wondering.
Old November 10, 2022, 12:28 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm unaware of any gun like gun made just for fast draw practice.

BTW, at one and a half to two seconds Audie Murphy was among the fastest of the Hollywood fast draw movie cowboys. He practiced enough to be faster than his instructor and only one Hollywood guy, Rod Redwing, was faster (1 second). Hugh O'Brien who played TV's Wyatt Earp once offered $500 to anyone in Hollywood to outdraw him. Murphy countered by raising the bet to $2,500 with the proceeds to go to charity. The challenge went unaccepted.

Audie was in the flick, Red Badge of Courage and co-starred with Bill Mauldin, creator of the Joe and Willie cartoons. In the film Audie was supposed to confess his fears to Mauldin the Loud Soldier. "I'll be damned if I can confess my fears to this rear echelon ink-slinger (cartoonist)." It had to be rewritten where Mauldin character confesses his fear and then the Audie character admitted that he was afraid too.