The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 15, 2021, 09:28 AM   #26
Bart B.

What are all the external forces (and their directions) on the cartridge before the primer fires?
Old June 15, 2021, 10:05 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
What are all the external forces (and their directions) on the cartridge before the primer fires?
Good question, I'm guessing the primary alignment is between the neck and bullet in the freebore (and it's alignment to the bore) and alignment of bolt/case head to the bore(?)
Old June 15, 2021, 10:36 AM   #28
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Good question, I'm guessing the primary alignment is between the neck and bullet in the freebore (and it's alignment to the bore) and alignment of bolt/case head to the bore(?)
I'm asking about the forces on the cartridge from springs and gravity.
Old June 15, 2021, 11:15 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm asking about the forces on the cartridge from springs and gravity.
Hmmmmm since you said prior to primer strike--that would rule out the firing pin spring I would think, other than the extractor I can't think of any other spring involved, so I'm guessing it's relative to the squareness and concentricity of the breech face to the bore as the extractor holds the head of the case to it?
Old June 15, 2021, 11:37 AM   #30
Bart B.

Extractors don't hold case heads against the bolt face.

Check the details of your extractor minimum clearance to the bolt face then compare that to case rim thickness.

Doesn't a bolt face ejector push the chambered cartridge forward to its headspace limit?
Old June 15, 2021, 11:55 AM   #31
stagpanther

Quote:
Doesn't a bolt face ejector push the chambered cartridge forward to its headspace limit?
Meaning the shoulder datum in the chamber? yes, that makes sense. I didn't think the "case lies at the bottom of the chamber scenario" made much sense.
Old June 15, 2021, 12:50 PM   #32
Bart B.

Remember the firing pin spring pushes the cartridge forward to its headspacing limit before the primer gets dented and fires.

Often hard enough to set rimless bottleneck case shoulders back a few thousandths before firing.
Old June 16, 2021, 07:16 AM   #33
hounddawg

back to the original post

I have found the aluminum bedded stocks and aluminum chassis stocks to be very accurate out of the box.
Old June 16, 2021, 01:09 PM   #34
4V50 Gary
Staff

RE: oversized chamber I concur. Not so much about the cartridge lying on the bottom of the chamber but b/c of the inconsistency of the cartridge position w/respects to everything. Consistency is the KEY to accuracy.

Re: stocks. Again consistency is important. It could be the best bedded action in the world but once disassembled, can it be reassembled such that it is consistent to its state before diassembly? That's where Accuracy International reduces it to a science. Whether a stock is from Accuracy International or another maker, how consistent is it?
Old August 14, 2021, 07:06 PM   #35
std7mag

Best stock is really subjective. It depends greatly upon intended use.

For pure repeatable accuracy, the laminated wood stock is going to be really hard to beat.
It's the choice for benchrest, and quite a few ELR, and F-Class shooters.
A young lady from McKinnley, TX police dept just set cold bore world record at over 2,400 yards using a laminated stock.

Chassis are fairly impervious to weather conditions and make add ons easy to install.
Weight can be an issue sometimes.

Composites are very enviornmentally impervious. They can come in many different shapes & forms to fit the individual. Priced from fairly reasonable to way too expensive.

The injection molded stocks are fine, with a caveat. They need either some form of bedding block, or pillar bedded.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 14, 2021, 08:43 PM   #36
Nathan

Wide flat forend, forend and butt should be flat bottomed and parallel for good bag tracking.

The stock has to be stiff enough to support the recoil of the rifle. When the rifle fires, you have an eccentric load on the stock. A weak stock will increase vibration amplitude. A stiff stock will have less amplitude.

Materials matter for dampening also. Laminate and composites have some built in dampening, I believe, but I cannot prove it.

Also, the stock has to be able to hold the action. Glue in is just one way. They can be “popped” out, but barrels are changed in the stock! Bedding with high torque which usually requires pillars to make a great mounting.

Last edited by Nathan; August 15, 2021 at 10:36 AM.