The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 29, 2021, 07:56 AM   #51
bac1023

Quote:
That’s a beautiful 27, make it a 4” for around $1500.00 and I’d be all over it. Oh, and if someone handed me a MR73 I’d love to shoot it and see what it’s all about.
Go 3.5". They're the coolest looking and generally the most sought after.

Like this Pre-27 from 1950

...or even cooler yet, this Registered Magnum from 1938.

Old May 29, 2021, 08:01 AM   #52
bac1023

Quote:
Pretty 27. I have almost the same gun but not nearly as handsome, it's an early 28. I have to say it's my hands down favorite revolver.

Dumb question, is there not US made equivalent or better to that French revolver?

Tony

Maybe Freedom Arms, but they're SA and just so different in every way.

Old May 30, 2021, 06:34 AM   #53
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Go 3.5". They're the coolest looking and generally the most sought after.

Like this Pre-27 from 1950

...or even cooler yet, this Registered Magnum from 1938.

Roger that, but I’d bet $1500.00 won’t get you to part with that beauty.
Old June 7, 2021, 03:56 PM   #54
dajowi

I had a French Manurhin PPK .22 that was really nice. But that is an auto.

I had was a Dan Wesson Masterpiece .22. On target and beautiful.
Old June 7, 2021, 06:45 PM   #55
PzGren

I have had a long and very good education and am enjoying the fruits thereof in the form of the best guns for the job. Very few people can shoot above 95% and for them it is about prestige. For me it is about quality and performance.

Once again; Suum cuique.
Old October 29, 2021, 12:16 PM   #56
HenryT

Absolutely stunning handgun. The shape, form, and finish is as close to a vintage Python bar none. However, they need to change the firing pin from the hammer to the more modern look within the body chassis. To me, the firing pin riveted to the hammer is an eyesore especially when the the hammer is cocked.
Old October 29, 2021, 12:29 PM   #57
HenryT

Aside from the hype of GIGN vouching for this handgun for promotions effect, the irony is that if GIGN ever encounter a terrorist group trying to deter the situation, the MR73 would be the least effective sidearm for the job. As far as hyping it as the most durable revolver in existence, how in the world that can be proven. Who in the world would possibly shoot a million rounds through it. It is all a mind game folks. It is like a vintage Leica film camera with all the mystique and old world German over-engineering built into a camera that is really obsolete compared to a digital camera. However, having said all that, I surely would like to own one because they managed to get inside my head because I'm addicted to owning one of a kind classic handgun and the MR73 surely has the prestige and history behind it to produce such a sidearm even though it is outdated in real world usage....especially touting it as a law enforcement combat sidearm which surely it is not.
Old October 29, 2021, 12:39 PM   #58
Jim Watson

I never thought of the firing pin as an esthetic element.
But now you have brought it up, I think the flat faced hammer whacking a frame (Body chassis, really?) mounted firing pin looks kind of naked.
Old October 29, 2021, 01:33 PM   #59
Butzbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
It's a beautiful revolver but.......
I always loved winning the bullseye matches with my old Ruger Mark I over those competitors that were shooting their fancy dancy Hammerli 208's and Walther GPS's!

And out of curiousity, what was the French SWAT using 6 shot revolvers?
What I read was that for the shield man on a French SWAT Team they were looking for one handed go bang 100% of the time. So, they landed on a revolver built like a cross between a watch and a tank.

Full disclosure: I have never been the shield man on a French SWAT team.
Old October 29, 2021, 11:33 PM   #60
Kurbsky

MR73 is very overpriced. Good quality buy you don't get a good value for the price
Old October 31, 2021, 08:39 AM   #61
rodfac

A very expensive toy....great finish, probably very smooth in operation, but...not any better in the hands of any shooter than an average S&W. Basically, a status symbol.

IMHO, guns are tools, this one, at that price, reminds me of a gold plated hammer...gold plated, but still a hammer. More power to you if you enjoy that level of craftsmanship, but it's not any better, in use, than a Smith. BTW, great Smith 27, BAC. And in a very useful bbl. length, but send it along with the Baughmann front sight...as I tend to shoot high with the bead type>>>>

Lastly...as to French opinions on weapons....hmmmmm....I'll pass.

YMMv...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 31, 2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old November 1, 2021, 01:23 PM   #62
HenryT

2 things I didn't like about the MR73

Don't get me wrong, I plan to get one as soon as it is restocked here in the US.

* They should relocate the firing pin onto the body instead of riveted on the hammer. To me, it is an eyesore with the hammer cocked and the firing pin showing. It is just not as neat as the hidden firing pin on all modern revolvers.

* They might have addressed this issue on the newer models. Their claim to the durability of shooting upwards of a million rounds of high-power 357 rounds through the barrel is a bit of a stretch. I observed a friend's MR73 (the combat model) about 20 years ago and noted that the forcing cone has a flat cutout just like the vintage S&W K frame and a lot of instances where people using 125g 357 loads have cracked the forcing cone. This flat cutout was necessary to create room for the barrel hinge on the K-frame. Likewise the MR73 has the same flat forcing cone on the 6'O clock position. The current MR73 might have addressed this, but I don't have one to eyeball the difference. I'm only bringing it up as a potential issue, especially in the MR73 where they vouch for its durability, but commonsense tells me the forcing cone was a weak link.
Old November 1, 2021, 01:36 PM   #63
wild cat mccane

I totally doubt this claim.

However, if proofed with Norma, Norma doesn't make a 125gr 357mag round, let alone a "full powerhouse" 357mag round.
Old November 1, 2021, 03:38 PM   #64
Two Shanks

I really like the negative opinions about the MR73 by people who have never seen one, never shot one and can't afford one.
Old November 1, 2021, 04:43 PM   #65
wild cat mccane

I am sure they are nice. I'm positive no "target" gun barrel is surviving 1 million rounds as advertising "full powerhouse" 357mag. That is just fantasy.

I am positive there wasn't a single MR73 used or even present during the 2015 Paris attack which included the team that "uses" the MR73 and two other French swat groups. This tells me everything we read about this in gun magazines (which interestingly published the French MR73 swat team connection around the same date).

Interestingly, I saw a GP100 7 shot 6" (6" always being the cheapest of the 66, 686, and GP100) listed for 1,200 dollars at Vizards. This may make the GP100 the highest priced increase of any pistol in the last year. So the MR73 might be worth it if that stays true.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; November 2, 2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old November 2, 2021, 05:34 PM   #66
PzGren

Quote:
I really like the negative opinions about the MR73 by people who have never seen one, never shot one and can't afford one.

Fact is, that there is a very small fraction of gun owners that really know how to shoot a handgun accurately and it appears that some academical underachievers here on this forum believe that a high post count entitles them to a negative opinion on something that these loosers cannot afford.
Old November 3, 2021, 08:09 AM   #67
wild cat mccane

Still wondering if anyone believes a target barrel can live 1,000,000 "powerhouse" 357 mag rounds?

Cause that's the claim in this thread.
Old November 4, 2021, 08:02 AM   #68
wild cat mccane

Hey friends,

There has been very strong opinion in here that people can't know or don't understand the MR73 because they aren't in the know or rich.

Maybe you all could go help the gent in the newest MR73 thread asking for a picture of the MR73 forcing cone looking like a k frame S&W or not on a new MR73.

Would really help the knowledge base of us poor and less in the know folk?
Old November 4, 2021, 08:58 AM   #69
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Still wondering if anyone believes a target barrel can live 1,000,000 "powerhouse" 357 mag rounds?

Cause that's the claim in this thread.

I haven’t seen that claim, where have you ?
Old November 4, 2021, 09:02 AM   #70
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
A very expensive toy....great finish, probably very smooth in operation, but...not any better in the hands of any shooter than an average S&W. Basically, a status symbol.

IMHO, guns are tools, this one, at that price, reminds me of a gold plated hammer...gold plated, but still a hammer. More power to you if you enjoy that level of craftsmanship, but it's not any better, in use, than a Smith. BTW, great Smith 27, BAC. And in a very useful bbl. length, but send it along with the Baughmann front sight...as I tend to shoot high with the bead type>>>>

Lastly...as to French opinions on weapons....hmmmmm....I'll pass.

YMMv...Rod
Totally agree with you!

Enviado desde mi MAR-LX3A mediante Tapatalk
Old November 4, 2021, 09:58 AM   #71
wild cat mccane

Classic12, if you google "MR73 million rounds" you will get this claim. Examples from experts repeating it:

Truthaboutguns, Tactical-life, thewheelgun, guns.com

Makes you wonder a bit. Those are expert gun sources. But not a single one stopped to say, wait, a target barrel that lasts 1,000,000 "powerhouse" 357 magnum...I've literally never heard of this being possible AND in a magnum round???? hmm...

Even those attacking people in here for not being good enough to know about the MR73 haven't laid evidence to this claim...because it is physically impossible.

Quick idea on loading, 1,000,000 rounds is 166,666 openings for a 6 shot revolver. Hum...

Much like every other mythical claim about the MR73. Nope. Sorry. No special secret anti terror group uses the MR73, let alone one with a scope like the pictures we seen in the magazines. If it did, why wasn't one used in Paris 2015 when that group was the primary team?

Just totally circular references that aren't founded in reality to begin with.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; November 4, 2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old November 4, 2021, 03:51 PM   #72
amd6547

Criticizing the MR73 for having the hammer mounted firing pin shows just how ludicrous this thread is.
Old November 4, 2021, 03:56 PM   #73
HenryT

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...34#post6891534

Does this sound ludicrous to you ? Please check your's if you own one. You'll sleep better if your's have alleviated the problem.
Old November 4, 2021, 10:38 PM   #74
Two Shanks

Quote:
Even those attacking people in here for not being good enough to know about the MR73
No one is saying that. You're just making stuff up. Purporting to be an expert on MR73 and you have no first hand real life experience with one. An MR73 is probably doable for just about anyone who has a job and a little credit.
Old November 5, 2021, 08:16 AM   #75
lamarw

The price of both decent quality revolvers and pistols have gone up a sizable amount over the last two years.

The fall auctions for Rock Island Auction, Morphy's. Amoskeag, Montrose and other auction houses are held later this month and in December. The price of firearms are way up there and make three to four thousand dollars look very reasonable for a Manurhin MR73.

Then there are folks who can afford the high end shotguns.

Last edited by lamarw; November 5, 2021 at 08:25 AM.