The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 8, 2022, 08:29 PM   #1
Z Factor

.44 mag EAA Bounty Hunter

I'm considering a trade for an EAA Bounty Hunter in .44 mag , 7 and 1/2 in barrel. Doing my due diligence and harvesting opinions, pro and con for this piece, Anyone's experiences would be greatly appreciated, as I know there is a wealth of knowledge out there, thanks in advance. Be safe and shoot straight.
Old May 8, 2022, 08:43 PM   #2
44caliberkid

I watch these on gunbroker and they used to sell for $300 a year or more ago. Last two that recently sold, one last week, have brought $400. I think they’re a $300 gun. They have an aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing that looses its finish easily. Lesser quality than an Italian clone, but you can’t get those in 44 magnum. Twenty years ago a few guys bought 357 versions for cowboy action shooting because they only cost about $250 and they worked adequately for that activity. I love all things 44 mag so I would own one, but I wouldn’t pay/ trade more than 3 bills for one.
Old May 9, 2022, 03:05 PM   #3
Crunchy Frog

It has a transfer bar ignition reportedly licensed from Ruger. Not much in the way of aftermarket parts like grips or spring kits. I don’t hear a lot of good reports on EAA customer service but you may never need support.
Old May 9, 2022, 08:11 PM   #4
Pathfinder45

Unless you are getting a particularly good deal, I'd suggest you just get a Super Blackhawk.
Old May 10, 2022, 02:21 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
It has a transfer bar ignition reportedly licensed from Ruger. Not much in the way of aftermarket parts like grips or spring kits. I don’t hear a lot of good reports on EAA customer service but you may never need support.
Why would they need to license that from Ruger? Not Ruger's invention. Prior art goes back to to Iver Johnson a century ago.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 10, 2022, 03:25 PM   #6
Crunchy Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Why would they need to license that from Ruger? Not Ruger's invention. Prior art goes back to to Iver Johnson a century ago.
I’ve read that elsewhere. It may be “lore” rather than fact. That’s why I said “reportedly”. I could be wrong.
Old May 16, 2022, 02:24 PM   #7
Sarge

Here's a report on a 45 Colt Bounty Hunter I owned a couple of years ago. I consider them a real decent revolver for the money, which can be improved by a little tweaking. But that also applies to most of the Rugers I've ever owned.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/eaa...ction-45-colt/