The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 2, 2022, 10:14 AM   #1
jrsgunbooks

Bay state 1915 shotgun H&R

I was given a broken H&R Bay state 1915 .410 for free.
It is in rough state, it needs a new barrel and wood, the only good part is the receiver.

I have the wood on order but as far as the barrel goes, some online sources are saying I could put a 12 or 20 gauge barrel on this receiver.

This would be a good option because the 12g and 20g barrels are available and inexpensive.

However, I am worried these bay state shotguns are not interchangeable with gauges and calibers like the toppers/48's that superseded them.

Anyone have info on this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jrsgunbooks; April 2, 2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old April 6, 2022, 04:38 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I don't have one, but looking at photos I found online and looking at the Numrich Gun Parts component image, there seem to be no separate parts for different chamberings except the barrel. I'm pretty sure that, like the Topper and Handi Rifle, these were designed so as many of the same parts as possible were used in the whole line, regardless of chambering. That holds down manufacturing and inventory costs, and this is, after all, supposed to be a reasonably economical rifle. (I think I bought my Topper 12 ga. new for $69 back in the early 1980s.)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle