The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Doublestack

Loading for 310GR. LWNFP w/ 2400

Hi all.

I have a whole lot of conflicting data concerning Alliant 2400 powder, and the new True Shot (by oregon trail) 310 grn LWNRP. It is basically the shape of a small beer can! The alliant site lists 13.5 grns of 2400 with a 300 grainer for a velocity of 1150 fps. I needed to load 16.5 grns of 2400 with the 310 grainer to achieve the same results. Seems like a lot more powder for only 10grs. more bullet weight. Other reloading manuals have loads for a 255 gr. bullet with as much as 22 grs. of 2400! (Lyman 47th). My Lyman 48th only goes as high as the Alliant site (13.5).

I have been shooting these over a chrony with a Ruger SBH. I am hoping to find a good deal on a used SRH soon, as I hear they are even stronger than the SBH. I just loaded some rds. with 17.0 grns to test fire as soon as this damn rain stops. I am looking for 1200-1250 FPS without excessive pressure. don't ask me why. sounds like a good velocity for a 310 grn. bullet. One never knows when a bison might crash through the front door and need immediate stopping! .

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is, do any of you have any manuals for this load combination. Oh yeah, If you have a used SRH in great condition you want to get rid of for a good price, let me know. I have been searching all the classifieds in a few forums.

Thanks in advance,

DS

Last edited by Doublestack; February 14, 2008 at 10:42 PM.