The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2017, 03:03 PM   #1
tpcollins

Question about the Mossberg 500 20 ga youth shotgun

I'm looking to buy this used shotgun for my grandson. I don't know all of the specifics yet but it looks to have the gold trigger pump with 2 barrels. The deer barrel has iron sights and I would assume it is not rifled but rather a smooth bore thats either choked or has a screw in choke. I'm not sure what the other barrel is other than probably an upland bird barrel.

Price tag is $250 - good deal or not? Thanks.
Old August 31, 2017, 03:10 PM   #2
Doyle

The deer barrel will not have any choke nor choke threads. $250 isn't a bad price if it is in good shape. Those barrels normally go for around $75 or so on Gunbroker if you decide you want to sell off one of the barrels to help ease the cost. The longer barrel will likely be the 26" vented rib barrel with a screw-in choke.
Old August 31, 2017, 03:25 PM   #3
tpcollins

I got a response from the seller. He said the deer barrel is rifled and the bird barrel has a screw in mod choke. I'm waiting for him to verify it has the 12 1/2" LOP to verify it's a youth model.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it.
Old August 31, 2017, 03:28 PM   #4
ShootistPRS

$250 is a great price for a 500 with an extra barrel. The only problem I have had with mine is the plastic safety button broke. I replaced it with a metal on the I made and it hasn't ever failed me.

Under my normal use the safety button would never have broken but one of the courses I took required the use of the safety. All the repeated use was more than the plastic could handle.
Old August 31, 2017, 03:28 PM   #5
FITASC

Just saw a 20 youth in Walmart about 20 minutes ago......Price was about $189 or so, so with the second barrel, that price is reasonable if the gun is in good shape.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Blindstitch

I bought a mossberg 500 20 gauge Super Bantam 2 years ago for $210 used and it was mint. Works great although I never used the slug barrel. The super bantam stock has 2 recoil pads and a spacer so you can grow into it. 12 inch length of pull grows to 14 I think.

As for youth model stock Gun parts co sells rear stocks for $15-25 that would fit. Otherwise find a new deal and maybe go with a maverick.
Old September 2, 2017, 05:12 PM   #7
tpcollins

Well I went and bought this morning for $225. The bird barrel has a vent rib, mod screw in choke, a front bead and a brass post at about a foot or so behind the front one.

The rifled deer barrel has been Magna-Ported. :-) I just ordered an extra full choke for turkey hunting. This is a really nice package for my grandson.

Last edited by tpcollins; September 3, 2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old September 2, 2017, 07:30 PM   #8
FITASC

Porting is not a big deal -for most it is a negative as it makes things a LOT louder......for those turkeys, just sticking in a particular choke without seeing how it does can be a frustrating waste of money. ALWAYS pattern/test your gun with your intended ammo at the range to see how it does.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 3, 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...front bead and a brass post at about a foot or so..." That's a skeet/trap barrel. Not a bad thing.
Magna-Porting works well, but really isn't needed. Mind you, felt recoil is a subjective thing. More about the kid than anything else. Said kid's size is irrelevant too. Anyway, you can start him with target ammo and reload slugs, if that's an option.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:41 PM   #10
GarandTd

$225 is a great price for that combo. You did well with a shotgun that will serve your grandson well. If the plastic safety is a concern aftermarket metal ones are available for not alot of money.