The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2014, 12:13 PM   #1
maillemaker

Ream out small-pistol primer 45 ACP?

It seems to me, upon looking at cross sections of .45 ACP brass, that there would be nothing wrong with reaming out small primer .45 ACP brass to a bore that can accept the standard large pistol primers.

What do you think?

Steve
Old March 15, 2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Rico567

This might be done. I say "might," not having thought about it much at all. I suppose the biggest problem would be to ensure concentricity of the new, enlarged primer pocket. I guess I see it as someone who just discards the small primer .45s.....sort of a 'why bother' attitude.

- Mark Twain
Old March 15, 2014, 01:02 PM   #3
mikld

I'm like Rico; haven't thought about it much. I guess if there were no more small pistol primers to be had, forever, I might look into reaming. I would like to make sure there is enough metal left in the case head to contain the pressure. I would just use a lathe with a floating tool holder in the tailstock to enlarge the pockets...
Old March 15, 2014, 01:57 PM   #4
mmb713

I think it would be a whole lot easier to just use small pistol primers in those cases. Or do like I do and just never buy 45 Auto ammo with small primers.
Old March 15, 2014, 02:12 PM   #5
tangolima

Why?
Old March 15, 2014, 02:13 PM   #6
Gdawgs

Sounds like a waste of time to me.
Old March 15, 2014, 03:52 PM   #7
4runnerman

just buy small pistol primers. My load with small and large are the same loads.
Keep them seperate in bags and there is no hassel.
Old March 15, 2014, 04:02 PM   #8
boondocker385

I keep finding them and just sort them out.

Last edited by boondocker385; March 16, 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old March 15, 2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
What do you think?

Steve
I think you've thought about it more than me

Heh, and that's okay. Fun to think about, but more hassle than I'm going to go through.
Old March 15, 2014, 06:50 PM   #10
maillemaker

The why is because I have no way to reload the small pistol primer brass. My Lee Pro 1000 is set up for the large ones. I could get the parts to make it do the smaller ones, but then I'd have to switch out the bits to change over from one to the other.

It also annoys me to pick out the small ones from the large ones. I figured if I could make a fixture for the drill press and run a cutter into the pocket to enlarge it I could convert them to large.

Steve
Old March 15, 2014, 07:17 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
It seems to me, upon looking at cross sections of .45 ACP brass, that there would be nothing wrong with reaming out small primer .45 ACP brass to a bore that can accept the standard large pistol primers.

What do you think?
I wouldn't bother. Segregate them out. Load them with the appropriate prime, or trade.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 15, 2014, 07:43 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Necessity is the Mother of all inventions. You got to do what you got to do. Or FWIW: You could run a sale / trade add here (TFL) and make someone an offer they can't refuse to get a little of what you wish you had.
Old March 15, 2014, 08:10 PM   #13
4runnerman

Small Hint--By a $15.00 hand primer
Old March 15, 2014, 09:04 PM   #14
Marco Califo

I do not think it would be safe. You are assuming that the small primer brass is otherwise the same in every dimension, just more metal. Then you would need to remove exactly the correct amount of metal. No way Jose!
It is also, IMO not worth the time and effort.
Sort 'em. Save them until you get a hand primer.
Old March 15, 2014, 10:58 PM   #15
guruatbol

There's a small ammo mfg in St George Ut called High Country Ammo and they will buy the small primered brass and sell you the large ones.

They offered to trade me any brass I take to them.

They are on St George Blvd.

I don't think modifying the cases is a good idea.

Mel
Old March 15, 2014, 11:48 PM   #16
mmb713

Buying the parts to be able to seat small primers and swapping out those parts is still going to be cheaper and faster and easier than drilling out primer pockets, if it's even possible. You'll likely end up loading for a cartridge that takes small primers someday anyway so the easiest and safest thing to do is use small primers in them. Or trade them and never buy 45 Auto ammo with small primer pockets.
Old March 15, 2014, 11:59 PM   #17
jmorris

Anything can be done, lots of things shouldn't be done.

Better idea than reloading steel or aluminum cases but still not for me.
Old March 16, 2014, 07:30 AM   #18
pctechdude

Actually I reamed out a small primered 45acp case just to try this out, as other have stated its slow and tedious work. Not to mention any time I have tried it you cannot ream enough material around the flash hole to seat a large primer in below flush. They all stick out. As been noted load em separate or just toss them etc...so unsafe and not worth risking yourself or your gun over.
Old March 16, 2014, 11:48 AM   #19
mikld

Geeeeze! We all know it's easier to just buy small primers. We all know reaming would be too much work to be worth while. But if every idea is met with the same "don't bother" attitude, nuttin' would change! Who ever heard about using beer cans for gas checks? Who'da thunk you could use a metal preserver as a bullet lube (alox)? And nobody would even think about powder coating bullets. If all shooters kept that attitude, we'd still be shooting flinters with black powder...

Keep thinkin' "outside the box"!
Old March 16, 2014, 12:06 PM   #20
maillemaker

Quote:
Actually I reamed out a small primered 45acp case just to try this out, as other have stated its slow and tedious work. Not to mention any time I have tried it you cannot ream enough material around the flash hole to seat a large primer in below flush. They all stick out. As been noted load em separate or just toss them etc...so unsafe and not worth risking yourself or your gun over.
Well, this is the winning answer. I know there is enough material to accommodate the diameter of the large primer, but I did not know that they went to different depths. If the large primer will not seat flush, then it's game over for this idea.

Steve
Old March 16, 2014, 12:12 PM   #21
maillemaker

I guess the hand primer is the way to go.

I already use my Lee Pro 1000 as a deprimer machine by fishing the cases out on the start of the down stroke after depriming, so they don't move on to the charging/priming station.

I'll just stick the hand-primed ones it at the same stage and let it move to the charging station as normal.

Steve
Old March 16, 2014, 01:15 PM   #22
Vance

Drill bits have a beveled tip to facilitate cutting. The edges of the hole you drilled will not be as deep as the center of it. What you need is a milling bit that will cut flush so your hole is the same uniforn depth. That way you can get the edges of the hole deep enough so the primer will seat deep enough. You would probably need to enlarge the flash hole also.
Old March 16, 2014, 01:33 PM   #23
maillemaker

Quote:
Drill bits have a beveled tip to facilitate cutting.
Yes, I know, which is why I was talking about reaming instead of drilling.

Anyway, I have ordered a Lee XLR hand press and a die holder for .45 ACP from MidwayUSA. $36 delivered.

I was just at Gander Mountain this morning and they had a bunch of primers. I should have picked up a few hundred smalls.

Steve
Old March 16, 2014, 02:04 PM   #24
guruatbol

You can grind down a drill bit to make a milling bit. Make sure to make the center of the drill bit more inverted so the cutting edge on the outside of the bit will do the cutting and the material doesn't get in the way.

Mel
Old March 17, 2014, 11:57 AM   #25
mikld

Drill bits have a beveled tip to facilitate cutting. The edges of the hole you drilled will not be as deep as the center of it. What you need is a milling bit that will cut flush so your hole is the same uniforn depth. That way you can get the edges of the hole deep enough so the primer will seat deep enough. You would probably need to enlarge the flash hole also.

They call them "end mills". Available in as many different sizes/diameters as drill bits. An end mill will give a flat bottom as deep as needed...