The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old December 21, 2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Snake River Jake

Nobody buying on Gunbroker.com

I've been cruising around the gunbroker.com website looking for some reasonable deals on Colt 2nd Gen and have noticed that with very few exceptions nobody is buying.
So I dug out my recent copy of Blackpowder Values and compaired what the asking starting bid is to the value.
In most all cases the sellers are asking way higher than the top values.
Guess they have not heard there is a recession going on.
Same was true at the last big gun show here. Prices were still out of sight and most people were shaking their heads at the price tags and walking on down the aisle.
Old December 21, 2008, 01:26 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

i just registerd on gunbroker last week... all psyched up.... was very dissappointed at the pricing...
Old December 21, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Riot Earp

Sellers will be forced to lower their prices if they want to sell, remain in business, etc.

Be patient.

A local dealer recently discounted their used cap & ball revolvers after no one "bit" on their insanely-high prices. It took them a long while, but they finally got the message.
Old December 21, 2008, 01:46 PM   #4
pohill

I have sold four used BP revolvers in the past month or so basically for what I paid for them. I figured I bought them at a good price, used them, had fun with them, improved them a little, now it's time to pass them on. I'm definitely not going to get rich selling used BP guns.
Old December 21, 2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Wuchak

That has been the norm at GunBroker and gunshows for years. If you are registered on GunBroker you can search completed auctions. You can see where the same overpriced item has been relisted for months. On GB you don't pay unless you sell so some dealers just put it out there and have it automatically relist until it sells to someone who doesn't know any better.

Gunshows I gave up on a long time ago. The last few I went to I didn't even get my $8 admission in entertainment by looking. In 1/2 hour I was done and thinking I should have spent the money on a movie and gotten an extra hour of entertainment.
Old December 21, 2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
some dealers just put it out there and have it automatically relist until it sells to someone who doesn't know any better.
Sooner or later somebody will. I haven't bought anything off GB for several years. I've missed a few good buys by not going there much tho. Wasn't long ago a CVA mountain rifle went for 125.00 and I've seen where some original guns went for a lot less than they should have.
Old December 21, 2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Walther22lr

I cruised the "recently sold" section of Gunbroker.com and you are right. The prices are a bit on the high side for the 2ng generation Colt Black Powder pistols and there is not a lot of movement as far as buying and selling of them that I see.
I looked up the AR-15 and SAR-1 guns in comparison to see how they were doing and there is a lot of action as far as buying and selling there. I think its just a factor of what people are interesting in buying at this particular time right now. BP guns are a bit low on the list as far as buyers are concerned for now I think.
Old December 21, 2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Indian Outlaw

Business is booming (no pun intended) at the local gun shop. Since the election, they have sold their entire inventory of "assault" rifles. Their black powder guns aren't moving at all though.
Old December 21, 2008, 02:31 PM   #9
reddheadnla1974

I agree, some of the prices that they have for a used gun is higher than a brand new gun at say cabelos. I like going back yo the same people that I have already bought from and know that I can trust. You just have to keep a close eye out. Sometimes you can actually find a good deal.
Old December 21, 2008, 03:20 PM   #10
CraigC

Anymore it seems that dealers are trying to get rich off every sale. Every once in a while you can find a fair deal. Gun shows are a big joke too. Somebody must be paying thoes exhorbitant prices but I ain't. Tough for me to take something home with a smile on my face if I feel like I've been robbed.
Old December 21, 2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Playboypenguin

I just won't buy guns unseen on the internet. I am sure many, but not all, people share that reservation. I use gunbroker.com as a reference only.
Old December 21, 2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Hawg

I've bought guns there in the past and bought quite a few off the SASS NET more recently. I've never been burned or disappointed.
Old December 21, 2008, 04:04 PM   #13
Indian Outlaw

Bought an 1858 Remington off gunbroker early this year. It was listed as "excellent condition". Neither the trigger nor hammer were functional. The gun was broken internally.
Old December 21, 2008, 04:33 PM   #14
Hoss Fly

Like Hawg i've been buying & tradin for guns on auctions & SASS for more than a few years ( at LEAST 30 - 35 buys/trades ) & have never been burnt on any (a little disapointed a couple times but nuthin worth grippin about)

Boss ( knockin on wood ) Hoss
Old December 21, 2008, 11:01 PM   #15
vranasaurus

I bought my RRA CAR A4 brand new on gunbroker 4 years ago and paid $950 with the quadrail handguard, hogue rubber grip, and GG&G Flip up rear sight which I still think is a good deal.

There were tons of good deals years ago and now not many.
Old December 22, 2008, 01:31 AM   #16
Elvishead

I've bought ammo.

If I did buy a gun from Gunbroker.com it would be FTF only.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:20 AM   #17
fawcettlee

Mega lower

found one on GB when it is sold out everywhere. Not too bad a price either, considering the price other Megas are going for online.
Old December 22, 2008, 02:53 AM   #18
ISC

All my best deals have been on the internet. I haven't bought a gun that I handled prior to buying in years. Only about 5 of my guns (<5%) were seen before I bought them. The others were bought online or from ads in SGN.

The only lemons were the Yugos I got that wouldn't cycle.
Old December 22, 2008, 04:00 PM   #19
longranger

I have bought 11 rifles and 2 pistols. 9 of the rifles were new in the box at exceptional prices, the AR stuff is outrages. I can do alot better at the local gun shop than at G.B.
The 2 used rifles I bought I sent back, one guy refunded my money including shipping and FFL dealer fees and let me keep the rifle! It was a 1902 R.R.B I turned into a fine shooting BPCR.
Both pistols were used and worth every penny I paid for them.
Buyer be aware of what your buying!
Old December 24, 2008, 01:10 PM   #20
kirpi97

Can't say I have ever purchased anything off of Gun Broker, but I have used it to check prices. I have purchased several weapons over the internet. And most of them through individuals here on firingline. Who knows, with all the trading that goes on, I may have one of yours.

But what I find even more important is all the wonderful friendships that develop. Being an old pocketknife collector, it is the relationships that matter most to me. And to find a community of trusting good old boys that still honor the handshake, means the most to me. I have not been disappointed.
Old December 25, 2008, 02:47 PM   #21
540mope

i too use Gunbroker to check prices...and some of the prices make my jaw drop.
when i recently considered selling a S&W revolver i checked asking prices for similar models on GB. geeeez...i would have been ashamed to ask for that kind of money for the same gun.
Old December 25, 2008, 11:58 PM   #22
Wagonman

I have had good luck with GB. I just bought a S&W645 for $455 total with 4 mags
Old December 27, 2008, 08:53 AM   #23
sharps387

Gun Broker

I have a black powder/traditional archery shop and deal on gun broker. The only problem with GB is that the bidders or lookers think everyone is a private party and that they can haggle with you on price. Not on GB in my book. At a gun show or in my shop, yes. But, the haggling must remain sane when it comes to price offered. We do try to make a living at this.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:38 AM   #24
Eghad

I have purchased a few guns on Gunbroker and have been with one minor exception. I even bought from a seller who just started and got a good deal and the gun was just like he said it was. However it pays to look at reviews or make a call or two to the seller if he is new.

I check prices locally and on other auction services as well before I buy.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Gunbroker if a good deal pops up and my seller research indicates a legit deal.

the things you have to take into consideration when pricing a gun.

1.will you have to pay a state tax on it
2. Shipping costs
3. transfer fees

No state sales taxes on a gun can save you some dough. I have a FFL holder who will do a transfer fee for $10.00. If it is from FFL to FFL they usually use the USPS which saves some shipping fees.

If I save $20 or over I will usually do it that way depending on how great my need is.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; December 27, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old December 31, 2008, 08:50 PM   #25
rixret

I would rather support my local dealer if I can find what I want, however, I have made some decent buy's on GB,GA. Yeah, most everything is overpricedbut we still buy what we want somehow. Nearly every gun show I go to here I end up not buying anything, way overpriced and don't see much selling going on. Bottom line though, It's the economy.