The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Airman Basic

Brass in big lots?

Have any of ya'll tried these folks:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ts&words=brass

No connection, just wondering.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Auctions have got to be where the commercial once-fired outfits get their supplies. I can't explain the small bags, but figure brass scrap goes for about $2.25/lb, which would be about $0.03/case for 5.56 brass. I don't think I'd want to pay much over $0.05/case if I were going to have to knock out primers and tumble and separate it for sale for $0.015/case. So, I might keep bidding up to $4/lb, but after that, forget it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 30, 2013, 12:31 PM   #3
lamarw

I wonder if it isn't Berdan primers on most of this brass.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
mikld

From what I've read about these auctions, they are legitimate government fired ammo (not berdan primed) mostly 5.56, 9mm and 7.62x51. One question I would have is about shipping. On the larger lots it specifies that product must be picked up at auction location...
Old April 30, 2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Sure shot wv

I've been talking to a buddy about going in together on huge quantities of brass recently. We found a few ranges that strictly do not allow shooters to reclaim their brass. Once it's fired it goes to the range and they sell it. Normally they sell it for whatever scrap value is but we've been talking to them about a deal for buying a large quantity. I found out yesterday that they've done this before for people. I don't know how much they have but they seemed confident they could fill an order for us for almost 1000 pounds of brass.

I've never bought anything on this scale before or dealt with an auction before. The way the ranges sounded we talked to said our request wasn't uncommon. So maybe try a range if your looking for a large quantity. Hopefully it works out for me and my buddy.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Beentown71

The prices really have jumped since the last auctions. They were going for about $3-$4 a pound. I was going to bid on some .223 local and they went for more than $6 a pound. Crazy...

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old May 1, 2013, 08:50 AM   #7
chiefr

I have acquirred and reloaded many thousands of once fired mil brass in the same calibers you mentioned. It is sold as scrap and can in some instances be purchased at near give-away prices.
I have also acquired mil brass in 38spl, 45Acp, 30-06 & 30 carb. in the past.

If you are on a base, sometimes you can purchase brass outright at the local DRMO.
I have been very satified with mil brass, but one must accept the case prep associated with it. IE, primer pocket swaging & trimming.
Also some lots in 223 are made with softer than normal brass which will result in more than your share of stuck cases.

One last note, do not be dissapointed if you find bent, stepped on or crushed cases in your lot. It is sold as scrap.