The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Round Varmint Handguard for AR15?

The thought of an AR15 upper in .204 Ruger has become very appealing to me. I started looking at uppers, and I saw that one company offered a typical M-Lok handguard with a long rail, and they also offered a round varmint handguard, which is just a tube.

What's the advantage of a round handguard? It's not very handy.
Old June 14, 2020, 09:51 PM   #2
stagpanther

Quote:
What's the advantage of a round handguard? It's not very handy.
Well, for one thing a round smooth hand guard doesn't have piccatanny teeth--handy if you do a lot of freehand shooting while hunting.
Old June 17, 2020, 08:22 AM   #3
Double K

Some people probably like them because they look less tactical or military, I like the UTG forearms because there smooth unless you add the rails.

Old June 17, 2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Tallest

I think the strongest argument that can be made for it being varmint geared because it's round is that you don't tend to need tactical attachments for varmint hunting. However... the primary reason I ditched my first round tube hand guard was that it had no bi-pod mounting option, which I found to be inexcusable. Woodchucks at 400 yards often require a bi-pod.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old June 17, 2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Double K

I hear you, same reason I replaced the forearm on the rockriver coyote in the picture, no bi-pod attachment, now it has a little rail out near the end that doesn't drag on a rest but's still there in case I need it for the bi-pod.
Old June 17, 2020, 10:51 AM   #6
Swifty Morgan

I contacted White Oak Armament about their handguards, and they said round was no more accurate than a handguard with a useful shape.
Old June 18, 2020, 10:01 PM   #7
O4L

IIRC the smooth round handgaurds came out when the quadrail handgaurds were very popular. The smooth version was lighter and much less bulky.
Old June 19, 2020, 07:38 AM   #8
Chipperman

Some round handguards are free floating which can be an advantage over non free floating for accuracy