The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 30, 2018, 04:24 PM   #26
TailGator

My wife has a CWP and her own carry pistol, and enjoys going shooting, less frequently than I do but often enough to know the character of my different pistols and have her favorites. She frequently looks over my shoulder and give me an, "Ooh, what's that?" when a handsome piece is on the computer screen or in a magazine. And one evening a few years back, she told me "Go ahead and order that reloading press you want. Happy anniversary!"

Yep, a keeper. For lots of reasons.
Old August 30, 2018, 05:13 PM   #27
Skans

When I first got married, I think my wife was a bit on edge about my guns. But, I keep them all locked in a safe (except one I keep out for personal defense), and that keeps her happy. She has little interest in them, except occasionally thinking that she wants one for self protection. I told her to get her permit and take a decent course and I'll let her pick one out or we would go buy her one. At this point, I think she's just glad I have a hobby! My tools annoy her more than my guns do.
Old August 30, 2018, 07:07 PM   #28
blackwidowp61

Things were good early on. She grew up on a farm and was around guns and hunting, but didn't participate. Then I came along. At the time, I only had a 10-22 and an 870 12ga. I got her to shoot the 10-22. After a while (after the bells rang) I started adding on (not in order); she bought me a Ruger MK2. Then I got a 760 in 06 (deer hunting), an 1100 in 12ga (hunting and trap & skeet). Then the kids came, a girl, then twin boys. As the sons got older, so did the collection; 2 more 10-22s, a 742c in 06, a 740 in 06, an 1100 in 20ga, a Ruger Redhawk 357 mag, an 1100 12ga trap gun, an 870 410 skeet gun, a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag, a Beretta 92fs 9mm, a CZ 75 in 9mm, a 700VLS in 22-250 and 2 M1 carbines. I was hunting, shooting trap and skeet, target shooting and just general mahem, I had a 12ga reloader and have a Rockchucker. She even went deer hunting with me a few years.

My daughter never seemed to show much interest in the guns and shooting while the boys took to hunting, fishing and shooting as soon as they could hold a gun or a fishing rod.

When it came time that my daughter left home, she asked me if she could go shooting with me before she left. Just about dropped me in my tracks. Well, I took her to the range and she shot a 12ga and the 10-22. Then she insisted that she wanted to shoot the 760! I let her have a go at it and she shot that thing like a pro! She had it in the bulseye every shot! I was so startled and proud of her, I let her take the 760 and 100 reloads with her. She had so much fun telling me how she shot the pants off those boys out in Montana! (She gave credit to my reloads of course!

Then, all of a sudden, something changed. Now its "you don't need that" and "if you get another gun, we're getting a divorce". ????

By the way, we've been married for 44 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

Last edited by blackwidowp61; August 30, 2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:41 PM   #29
KyJim

I've been married almost 39 years. Early, my wife was neutral about guns and I got her out to the range a few times. Then a family friend was killed by an "unloaded" gun by one of his friends who was intoxicated. My wife became hostile to guns, but I refused to compromise on the issue. Sometimes you have to make compromises when you're married, but you also have to be true to yourself. She's not as vocal about it now and only occasionally mentions anything.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:38 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My late wife hated guns, but we married late in life. She knew that I owned and carried guns before we married, so she set aside her prejudice and didn't say anything. I was never able to persuade her to at least learn to shoot one, but for Christmas one year she actually gave my a really nice pistol case ... so I knew that she had accepted the fact that owning guns didn't mean I'm a raving lunatic.

(I may be a raving lunatic, but if so it's not due to the guns. )
Old August 30, 2018, 11:37 PM   #31
Crankylove

My wife grew up in a gun loving, target shooting, hunting family. She used to go to the local police range with her dad (now retired LEO of 25 years) to shoot full autos, loves buying and shooting guns (here and mine), and enjoys helping my at the reloading bench.

She doesn’t carry, but likes the fact that I do. She doesn’t hunt, but is fine with me enjoying it, and loves watching our kids do some target shooting with their dad and grandpa, just like she did when she was younger.

Definitely a keeper.
Old August 31, 2018, 05:31 AM   #32
Husqvarna

Mine is into horses so we never talk about money spent on hobbies
Old August 31, 2018, 06:50 AM   #33
Targa

When we were first dating my wife was indifferent on shooting firearms, she never gave it much thought but was/is a conservative and staunch supporter of the constitution, I would imagine that my retired Army father in law had a role in that while raising her...
Anyway, I took her shooting, gave her the basics and then attended a CCW/Safety class with her. Now she always wants to shoot and wants us to take up skeet shooting and get into archery....what have I done..
Old August 31, 2018, 09:10 AM   #34
pkevinb

I have a supportive wife. She purchased her first gun this year, a Ruger EC9S which she intends to carry. My wife doesn't care for shooting rifles due to the noise, but I'm going to get her out to shoot my .22. I took up shooting Trap recently and she is interested in doing that and this fall she wants to go to a turkey shoot with me.

My wife is someone you would never suspect to shoot and own a gun because she is a school teacher. She really wishes that she could carry to work, but obviously can't though she is friends with another female teacher that shoots as well as a few women at church that shoot and carry.
Old August 31, 2018, 09:19 AM   #35
Don P

The wife shoots competition with me so I'll leave it at that
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 31, 2018, 08:46 PM   #36
Bottom Gun

Mrs Bottom Gun carries her own sidearm when we are out in the forest and one of her favorite pastimes is precision rimfire shooting.
We were just out yesterday doing some informal target shooting with .22s and she was regularly shooting 5 and 10 round groups into ½’ to ¾” at 50 yd.
She has good taste in rifles too. I let her try one of my Anschutz rifles and she now refuses to shoot anything else. That was a good excuse to buy another 1416.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old August 31, 2018, 09:41 PM   #37
Colorado Redneck

My wife used to shoot a 357 several times a year. Shoots better than me. Now her rheumatism bothers her to the point she lost interest. But she encourages me in my hobby. Buying shooting gear, supplies, etc is fine with her. She likes that my hobby gets me outa the house several times a month. She quilts, visits friends, sees the kids, and enjoys alone time without me there. So as an old retired geezer, her attitude and support makes life really good for me. And she loves the wild game when I get that.
Old September 1, 2018, 04:24 AM   #38
mag1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
The wife shoots competition with me so I'll leave it at that
Who wins?
Old September 1, 2018, 10:41 AM   #39
45Colt_Man

My wife bought our first handgun. A Ruger .357 Blackhawk used. I was on the lookout for a .44 magnum but couldn't find one, so she bought me a large frame .45 Colt Vaqero. We now a safe full of .45 Colt Rugers. Did finally build an Old Model .44.
I'll be looking at guns on the internet and she'll ask if we have one of those if I say say "No" her response is "well order it.
She has been known to disappear and come home with a new firearm. She's a keeper.
Kids and grand-kid's own and shoot firearms also .
Old September 2, 2018, 04:14 PM   #40
Slotback

Mine accepts it. She has not one iota of interest in firearms.
Old September 2, 2018, 11:06 PM   #41
2wheelwander

No interest

Couldn't care less
Old September 3, 2018, 04:53 AM   #42
dontcatchmany

My wife has her second concealed carry permit (the first one had expired and she retook the course).

Se used my Ruger sp101 for the ccw course with 38 spcl.

When she got her concealed permit, she immediately purchased a Ruger LCP (I think) in 327 magnum. Can not get her interested in semis.

However, she never shoots. I have a handgun range in my back yard and she has not ever indicated that she wants to shoot.

The couple of times we went to the range prior to her permit she proved to be a very good shot from 10 yards.

I am going to keep offering for her to come out back and shoot with me, but no luck as yet. Meanwhile I shoot several times a week with various guns and no major complaints except for the brass casings on the concrete back yard.
Old September 3, 2018, 05:45 PM   #43
larryf1952

When we were newly married, my gorgeous wife showed an interest in shooting. She loved to plink with my 10/22 down on the sandbars in the river. She could hold her own with me any day of the week. She even learned to shoot the first centerfire pistol that I ever bought...a Mauser P08 Luger. Then, a Ruger Security Six in .357. She didn't care for that one, though. Too much recoil.

She never griped or whined when I came home with a new gun, or when I got into reloading. I never spent money on tobacco or alcohol, so I guess that she felt fortunate. From time to time, she'd accompany me to the range to shoot a .380 or a 9mm. Through the years, her interest waned. She stopped going shooting with me, or to gunshows. But, she still never gave me any grief about my guns, having them in the house around our kids, or how involved I was with my hobby.

Only during the past few years, as my collection has grown significantly, has she begun to raise an eyebrow when I come home with something new. "You need an intervention", she would say. But, that would be the end of it, and not another word would be said. She's a committed pro-gun and pro-2nd Amendment supporter.

We celebrated anniversary #45 a couple of days ago. Things turned out OK for me.
Old September 3, 2018, 11:22 PM   #44
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I actually married a country girl who's parents were outdoor sports types.
I suppose if I mistakenly married a urban girl I could expect allot of flack about guns. As life turned out. Certainly was my lucky day the day I made my Mary's acquaintance walking home from Hibbing Community College one Fall afternoon in 1964.
Old September 4, 2018, 12:17 PM   #45
FindANewSlant

She is . . . neutral to iffy on it. She wants to be a LEO, but my interest in guns alarms her just a little bit. She and I are college students, so my interest in things like AR-15s bring memories of all the school shootings recently. She's okay with it but I can tell she gets a little uncomfortable when I talk about it.
Old September 4, 2018, 10:11 PM   #46
Longhorn1986

My wife shares my enthusiasm for both shooting & fly fishing. Generally, if I bring home a new firearm or fly rod, the response is "Where's mine?"

She does favor handguns over long guns and 9mm over .45 ACP. Unfortunately, her arthritis in her hands has limited her shooting sessions as of late. I wish she could join me on the range more often.
Old September 5, 2018, 12:43 PM   #47
jackstrawIII

My wife understands that I'm a man. And as such, it is normal/right for me to have an interest in weapons. She also appreciates that fact that our guns (and our abilities to use them) allow both her and I a better chance to defend our home and our children if necessary.

As long as I don't break the bank, she's fine with it. Marry well, my friends.