The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 17, 2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Hal

Revolver vs semi auto - yet again - accuracy

Here's one I don't recall ever seeing.

Given your every day average, not custom, not tricked out, not worked over, stock out of the box gun.

Which have you found to be the more accurate?

Hands down I've found Smith and Wesson revolvers to be far more accurate than any semi auto.

My pet theory on this is that a revolver has to be put together with more precision to function properly. The better accuracy is a side benefit.
Old February 17, 2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I think that in todays era of CAD/CAM manfacturing they are probably closer then ever before in terms of potential accuracy.

There are few ( if any )handfitted parts in any gun these days. Auto or revolver. Just huge assembly lines cranking out as many as possible. The good news is that machined parts tolerances are better then ever and allow that kind of work

A good revolver will beat a bad auto but, a good auto will beat a bad revolver.
Old February 17, 2014, 01:48 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
Hands down I've found Smith and Wesson revolvers to be far more accurate than any semi auto... My pet theory on this is that a revolver has to be put together with more precision to function properly.
If one compares relatively high-powered centerfire handguns, another big factor is that a solid-frame revolver's barrel is rigidly fixed to the frame, so barrel lockup is not a factor.

Barrel-to-slide and, to a somewhat lesser extent, slide-to-frame fitment have a major influence on the accuracy of a centerfire autoloader with a barrel that unlocks from the slide; this includes almost every commonplace and modern 9mm, .40S&W, or .45ACP pistol. Solid-frame revolvers sidestep these issues completely.

Many small-caliber and/or low-powered semi-auto pistols (e.g. .22LR, .32ACP, .380ACP) also utilize fixed barrels. This explains why some inexpensive .22LR target pistols will outshoot large-caliber pistols that cost 3 times as much. The extra cost reflects additional work to fit the barrel, slide, and frame together with greater precision- work that is not necessary on the fixed-barrel .22.
Old February 17, 2014, 01:55 PM   #4
WVsig

In 99% of off hand applications it will be all about the Indian not the arrow... Most guns are mechanically more accurate than the shooter.

If you are shooting off a mechanical rest whats the fun in that? LOL
Old February 17, 2014, 02:01 PM   #5
mavracer

It all depends if since most auto's barrels are not rigidly mounted and the sights are mounted to the slide the average revolver will be more mechanically accurate since barrel frame and sights are all locked together in one rigid assembly. However as with most things gun related there are exceptions many 22 autos have their sights mounted directly to the barrel assy and given no chamber variations of the revolvers cylinder they have a slight advantage.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 17, 2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Jayhawkhuntclub

Lots of facets to this question. A book could be written on it (probably has been). But the most accurate hand gun I own is a Ruger Mark II (scoped). It will consistently shoot sub 1.25" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with CCI SV ammo. I do think that you are right. A revolver must be well made to compete with a good auto. That said, I have seen some amazingly accurage S&W and Ruger revolver. I have a scoped single six hunter that will shoot 5 shot groups under 1.5" at 50 yards all day. That aint bad either.
Old February 17, 2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Colt46

I think the revolver allows you to tailor loads better

probably a very minor consideration in the overall argument, but it's something.
Old February 17, 2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Jim March

Any gun that has the barrel and both sights locked together as one unit with no moving parts AND that setup doesn't move will have an accuracy advantage over something that doesn't.

Almost all revolvers meet that basic criteria. Some semis do as well - Ruger's series of semi-autos have the bolt as a small reciprocating part inside a longer barrel assembly that is fixed and holds both sights fixed to it. Those will shoot. All high-end target pistols worth anything are set up the same way.
Old February 17, 2014, 03:36 PM   #9
WVsig

Quote:
Any gun that has the barrel and both sights locked together as one unit with no moving parts AND that setup doesn't move will have an accuracy advantage over something that doesn't.

Almost all revolvers meet that basic criteria. Some semis do as well - Ruger's series of semi-autos have the bolt as a small reciprocating part inside a longer barrel assembly that is fixed and holds both sights fixed to it. Those will shoot. All high-end target pistols worth anything are set up the same way.
Fixed barrel and sights are just one part of the equation. In the real world of shooting guns again I will argue it is the Indian not the arrow.
Old February 17, 2014, 03:43 PM   #10
g.willikers

Like minded friends and I used to use water filled gallon and quart jugs for target practice, at 100 yards.
The S&W revolver I had at the time made it very doable, and even easy for the gallon jugs.
But doing that with auto loader pistols is much harder, for some reason.
Old February 17, 2014, 03:49 PM   #11
AK103K

Quote:
Given your every day average, not custom, not tricked out, not worked over, stock out of the box gun.

Which have you found to be the more accurate?
From a pure, target shooting group size stand point, I shoot tighter groups with my K and N frame S&W revolvers, and I shoot them more accurately at longer distances as well.

Of all the autos Ive owned, Id have to say my HK P7M13 was the one closest to the revolvers, accuracy wise. Not saying the others arent accurate, they are, and they're fine for realistic use, they just dont seem to have that level of target accuracy the P7 had.
Old February 17, 2014, 03:50 PM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
Like minded friends and I used to use water filled gallon and quart jugs for target practice, at 100 yards.
The S&W revolver I had at the time made it very doable, and even easy for the gallon jugs.
But doing that with auto loader pistols is much harder, for some reason.
What type of guns did you and your friend learn to shoot on? What platform did you have more trigger time on? Were the barrel lengths and sight setups identical? Trigger pull weights?

Just wondering.... ?
Old February 17, 2014, 04:01 PM   #13
SHE3PDOG

This probably has way more to do with which you learned on or practice more with. The more comfortable you are with one platform over the other, the better you will likely shoot it. That being said, a good shot is a good shot on pretty much anything as far as accuracy is concerned all of the basic shooting priniples can be applied to everything.

As far as mechanical accuracy goes, it would be difficult to scale. Would you compare two guns from the same manufacturer at the same price point? Or maybe shoot a bunch of different guns and find that good shooting revolvers or semis cost far more than the other.

As far as I'm concerned though, it is the indian, not the arrow.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 17, 2014, 04:05 PM   #14
mavracer

Quote:
Fixed barrel and sights are just one part of the equation. In the real world of shooting guns again I will argue it is the Indian not the arrow.
Oh sure there are a good many braves that a good arrow is wasted on, but there are plenty of Indians here that can appreciate a truer arrow.
Old February 17, 2014, 04:09 PM   #15
Skans

In the Under $500 category, I'd say that long (5") barreled revolvers win. Probably due to the long barrel more than any other factor, with light recoil especially in .38 Special, being a secondary factor. A .38 snubbie isn't particularly accurate. I'd bet a Hi-Point can beat the pants off of the little snub nose.

However, when you get into the $1000+ range, then semi-autos quickly catch up and can surpass the revolver in terms of accuracy. That's about where you start to find your better 1911's, good Hi-Powers, heavier Sigs, etc.
Old February 17, 2014, 04:11 PM   #16
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
I agree with your basic premise, but with an important caveat.

A lousy shooter will often shoot smaller groups with a more accurate gun. Whether he or she can equal an expert shooter is arguably a different question.
Old February 17, 2014, 04:16 PM   #17
mavracer

Quote:
A .38 snubbie isn't particularly accurate. I'd bet a Hi-Point can beat the pants off of the little snub nose.
You're on
Old February 17, 2014, 04:25 PM   #18
AK103K

Quote:
You're on
Yup! And Im next after you.
Old February 17, 2014, 08:59 PM   #19
jmr40

If you compare guns with somewhat equal sight radius I've found it to be about a toss-up between revolvers and a quality semi such as my 1911's. Most semi's are designed more for combat and sacrifice some accuracy for reliability. For that reason I've probably shot more revolvers more accurately.

When you start comparing some of the long 7-8" barreled revolvers with their much longer sighting radius they almost always win. Just easier to shoot them.
Old February 18, 2014, 06:06 AM   #20
treg

Quote:
In the real world of shooting guns again I will argue it is the Indian not the arrow.
However, the Indian can only be as good as the arrow.
Old February 18, 2014, 07:07 AM   #21
Hal

Quote:
As far as mechanical accuracy goes, it would be difficult to scale. Would you compare two guns from the same manufacturer at the same price point? Or maybe shoot a bunch of different guns and find that good shooting revolvers or semis cost far more than the other.
Either or.
Or even category to category.

Say machine rest 100 S&W M10's and 100 Glock 17's or 19's.

Or machine rest 100 Ruger GP 100's and whatever Ruger model 9mm would correspond to that.

It'd be interesting to see which one has the mechanical edge - if any.

Years ago, shortly after I bought my Kimber Target for ~ $700, I bought a used but unfired S&W M19-3 for $265.
The Kimber was/is everything said about Kimber and accurate - but - the old simple & much cheaper S&W was far and away more accurate.
Old February 18, 2014, 08:28 AM   #22
WVsig

Quote:
Years ago, shortly after I bought my Kimber Target for ~ $700, I bought a used but unfired S&W M19-3 for $265.
The Kimber was/is everything said about Kimber and accurate - but - the old simple & much cheaper S&W was far and away more accurate.
From a mechanical rest or in your hands?
Old February 18, 2014, 09:05 AM   #23
WIN1886

I have yet to shoot anything that is as consistently accurate as my old S&W Model 41 semi automatic .22 pistol !
Old February 18, 2014, 09:12 AM   #24
Hal

Hands - but - there's no question the S&W is the more accurate of the two.
I suppose I could put both into a rest to prove a point, but, I just accept it as the way things are.
Old February 18, 2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Don P

Quote:
A .38 snubbie isn't particularly accurate. I'd bet a Hi-Point can beat the pants off of the little snub nose.
I'll take the third slot in line for this one
It all comes down to WHO is holding the gun in hand, tell Jerry Miculek the above.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.