The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 9, 2018, 08:37 AM   #1
TXAZ

Does it matter? Remington seeking financing for Bankruptcy

There is an interesting issue with Remington looking for financing to go into bankruptcy : Does it matter?
Remington has made some classic firearms including the iconic 700.

So the question is, with all the other manufacturers out there, would it matter to you or the industry if Remington leaves the business?

Remington needs $$$’s to file bankruptcy

My guess is it won’t matter much, as companies ***seeking financing to go bankrupt*** usually don’t emerge as their old self, and are often parted out and sold off.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; February 9, 2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Link issue
Old February 9, 2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Curious. At the 2017 SHOT Show, Colt had their usual, huge display despite having just weathered yet another financial crisis. Remington also had their usual, huge display.

Fast forward to SHOT 2018. Colt's display was comparatively tiny -- not as small as some of the single-table operations, but a mere shadow of the area they had in 2017. The Remington display for 2018 was the same size and layout as 2017. And they introduced a new VP for handgun sales. I'm not sure what, if anything, that all means, but I'll toss it out to feed the discussion.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:32 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

No Remington products on my long list. Much the same problem as colt IMO. Little innovation in my lifetime.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:40 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ
My guess is it won’t matter much, as companies ***seeking financing to go bankrupt*** usually don’t emerge as their old self, and are often parted out and sold off.
True, but perhaps one of the main reasons for the maneuver is to spin off some of the brands that Remington's parent company has absorbed, such as Marlin and H&R. Quid pro quo; you give us money, we give you Marlin.

This wouldn't hurt the feelings of most Marlin fans.
Old February 9, 2018, 09:46 AM   #5
Charlie98

Quote:
Remington is already made up of pieces and parts of old companies. In the end, it doesn't really matter... bankruptcy at the corporate level usually just mean restructuring existing debt, the company remains, maybe having to sell off some of their assets but in reality just continuing on as before.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 9, 2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Marco Califo

Bankruptcy is a financing tool. Used with cunning and skill by our prez, and many others.
There also different flavors (chapter 7 liquidation, chapter 11 deptor in possession reorganization). Those are for individuals, there are corresponding rules for businesses. Savage went through BK a few years ago, then came back with the Accutrigger and Axis line. I say a financing tool because it is usually used to get rid of hopelessly excessive dept, that usually resulted from mergers, acquisitions, equity fund buy outs, and general stupidity.
I own Remington shotguns. My last shotgun purchased was Italian. Remington could reorganize and operate: that requires new money. That seems to be the case here.
Winchester and Herters also went through BK, and devolved into "brand names" owned by profitable companies. The USSR went through national BK. The evil empire morphed into the evil Russian commonwealth.
No. It does not matter. The Italians can make better shotguns cheaper. The sky is not falling.

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 9, 2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling/typos
Old February 9, 2018, 11:03 AM   #7
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Curious. At the 2017 SHOT Show, Colt had their usual, huge display despite having just weathered yet another financial crisis. Remington also had their usual, huge display.

Fast forward to SHOT 2018. Colt's display was comparatively tiny -- not as small as some of the single-table operations, but a mere shadow of the area they had in 2017. The Remington display for 2018 was the same size and layout as 2017. And they introduced a new VP for handgun sales. I'm not sure what, if anything, that all means, but I'll toss it out to feed the discussion.

Big Green must’ve still had room on the Credit Card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 9, 2018, 12:41 PM   #8
hub1home

It sure matters to me. I like Remington. It is always bad when we lose a major gun manufacturer.
Old February 9, 2018, 12:57 PM   #9
Marco Califo

On the other hand, if they 1) amputate the debt, and "management", and 2) get back to making good guns with controlled overhead cost. They COULD resurge like Savage.
Old February 9, 2018, 01:16 PM   #10
lamarw

Could it be an attempt to further separte more of its operation from Ilion, NY?

I have read things are going well in Huntsville, AL or is that just white wash?
Old February 9, 2018, 03:12 PM   #11
Doyle

Lamarw brings up an interesting question. Is bankruptcy a way to easily get out of union contracts that it has with the Ilion employees?
Old February 9, 2018, 03:53 PM   #12
SPEMack618

Personally, my belief is that Remington, under the umbrella of the Freedom Group and what not has ran itself into the ground.

The 770 and 783 weren't all that great, even in the budget rifle market.

Trying to order a 700 is an exercise in frustration. As is trying to find a 870 that isn't an Express.

The R-51 was an utter failure.
Old February 9, 2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Mike38

I'll be the first to admit that I do not understand big business, financing, investments, bankruptcy, etc. etc. But, how often do we see this? A group of investors (Freedom Group) buys up a huge company that may or may not be in a bit of trouble, buys them cheap. Runs the company into the ground, only worried about the almighty dollar, then breaks it up into smaller pieces and sells it off. The investors still make money after the dust settles. They are happy, and to hell with anyone else.
Old February 9, 2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Marco Califo

Mike38, that is about right. Often the former companies become mere brand names, thay can be bought sold and traded (Herters, Gander Mountain, Winchester). They just exist for the marketing value in the name when it used to be a good company.
For instance, lets say the Canada rifle company buys Remington's brand name, and starts slapping Remington on their Rifles, the new Reminington Excis. If if is a good rifle, we might stary buying them. To hell with Rem management, bond deals, and steel makers who lost a big chunk of accounts receivable.
Old February 10, 2018, 09:11 AM   #15
TXAZ

Mike38, let me help your understanding of large corporations (been with them for 40 years and seen several “breakups” and divestitures from the inside) and restructuring/ financing.

The goal of any investor is to maximize cash flow, value or other financial value to the shareholders. Intentionally running a company into the ground is asking for lawsuits and possibly criminal charges. Restructuring is not.

If the parts of a company are more valuable than the whole, which can be true for companies in trouble, (particularly if there is a bankruptcy, major lawsuit or dischargable debt involved) then selling off the healthy parts and leaving the debt or liabilities in the parent or a spun-off entity can allow the healthier components to succeed. Workers (some, many, most) keep their jobs. Sometimes there are wage concessions involved.

Yes someone get stuck with the debt/ loss. That’s often stockholders or large plaintiffs. Used to be more often it was workers or retirees’ pension accounts.
There are legal firms that are excellent at restructuring and lawfully making the debt or large lawsuits go away. As such, stockholders and investors are usually required to acknowledge/ are given notice that their investment could fail.
Hope that helps.

Old February 10, 2018, 09:33 AM   #16
Jim Watson

Apparently Remington management has discovered the Colt Secret of how to siphon off money from successive generations of investors and creditors without actually doing anything physical.
Old February 10, 2018, 09:58 AM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
The goal of any investor is to maximize cash flow, value or other financial value to the shareholders. Intentionally running a company into the ground is asking for lawsuits and possibly criminal charges. Restructuring is not.
True for most folks; however capital groups like Cerebus typically come in on the cheap, make a buck as fast as possible and then sell off whatever remains. These type of companies did a lot of that, especially back in the 80s.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 10, 2018, 10:04 AM   #18
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
True for most folks; however capital groups like Cerebus typically come in on the cheap, make a buck as fast as possible and then sell off whatever remains. These type of companies did a lot of that, especially back in the 80s.
Same for Cerebus, Carl Icahn, and others. They just have a much shorter investment horizon.

Old February 10, 2018, 10:12 AM   #19
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I do not understand big business, financing, investments, bankruptcy, etc. etc. But, how often do we see this? A group of investors (Freedom Group) buys up a huge company that may or may not be in a bit of trouble, buys them cheap. Runs the company into the ground, only worried about the almighty dollar, then breaks it up into smaller pieces and sells it off. The investors still make money after the dust settles. They are happy, and to hell with anyone else.

I don’t believe that’s the case at all with Remington, they were an old company that made outdated product. They tried to expand their product line by adding handguns and bought other smaller companies , unfortunately for them the AR market was saturated as is the CC handgun market .

so now what? Downsize, focus on their core? What kind of demand is there for mid quality rifles and shotguns? Ruger and savage seem to be-able to sell cheap rifles that guys want as does Mossberg with shotguns.

Time to fold up the tent or go real small.

Old February 10, 2018, 11:11 AM   #20
Don P

Quote:
So the question is, with all the other manufacturers out there, would it matter to you or the industry if Remington leaves the business?
To a degree yes. Anytime a firearms manufacturer goes south that's just one less in "our" corner.
Supposedly when freedom Group bought up Para it was to be a good thing. And just like that Para was no more and the speculation was and is, that it was to help Remington get back into the hand gun market being the R pistol was such a disaster. The 1911 they have out is just way over priced for a production gun, IMO
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 10, 2018, 11:56 AM   #21
Mike38

So one of two things happened here. Freedom Group screwed up big time and them and all their investors are going to take a hit, or this was planned all along and everyone on FG board of directors will be swimming in cash and the small investors still take a hit. (I'm betting it's the latter) Yea, sure, there are laws preventing this, but since when has legality gotten in the way of the almighty dollar?

Or the third possibility, I still don't understand.

Last edited by Mike38; February 10, 2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old February 10, 2018, 01:45 PM   #22
peterg7

^ Freedom Group doesn’t exist anymore, it’s Remington outdoor company. With Remington Arms a subsidiary, don’t know if that includes ammo company.

Old February 13, 2018, 11:06 AM   #23
artsmom

In my opinion, there were too many whiz kids running that whole Remington conglomerate and not enough adults that knew the firearms industry. These would be the kind of people to yank Marlin and Bushmaster out of their towns with the thought "Anybody can make a gun, it's all done with computers anyhow!" They are the type of folks to kill of H&R and hire other whiz kids who believe that they can make a cheaper better version of the 51 pistol or leave the Nylon 66 in the dust with abominations like the R51 Remington Viper, because "cost engineering trumps all!"

This isn't confined to Remington or even the firearms industry. My brother works at a place where the engineers can't read micrometers or calipers unless they are digital. My sister works at a place where the supervisors don't know their people or what they do on the floor.

Rant aside and to answer the original question: Yes, it does matter. It matters for the employees and also to those of us who would like to see a better Remington with GUNMAKERS leading a gunmaking concern.

Last edited by artsmom; February 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old February 13, 2018, 11:52 AM   #24
ndking1126

Quote:
On the other hand, if they 1) amputate the debt, and "management", and 2) get back to making good guns with controlled overhead cost. They COULD resurge like Savage.
The article I read said Cerebus would no longer own Remington after the restructuring. I really hoping the new owners bring it back to the company it used to be. As others have said, hopefully the owners care about the guns being produced, not just investing purely to make money. We'll see.
Old February 13, 2018, 11:53 AM   #25
Marco Califo

One of the ramifications of the BK filing is warranty coverage. Other companies have abandoned their pre-BK warranty liabilities (Savage). Lifetime Warranties appear on the books as liabilities. They need to have a $$ recorded. In accounting, assets minus liabilities equals equity. When things go bad, you get negative equity (think owing more than your house is worth) in a broken company.