The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 22, 2002, 02:02 AM   #1
cnemeth

Coach gun for clay pigeons?

I'm considering buying a shotgun to use in CAS. I really like the Stoeger Silverado coach gun. Since this would be my first shotgun, and probably the only one since I've gone way over my gun budget for the time being, I would also like to use it for shooting clay pigeons. How effective would a coach gun be for informal trap, sporting clays, etc? Or, Would I be better off with gun like the Stoeger Uplander with a longer barrel and possibly with screw in choke tubes that would still be acceptable for CAS?

Thanks
Chris Nemeth
Old July 22, 2002, 05:23 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Chris, it's not the best choice for clay games.

But, unless one is really focused on winning at trap, skeet,sporting, etc, a simple SXS can be lots of fun at the range and also at CAS, I guess.

A short bbled, open choke SXS is probably a good quail/grouse gun, good for skeet and some sporting targets.Not as good for trap, but that's life...

If you like the gun, get it and have fun.
Old July 22, 2002, 10:30 AM   #3
Ceol Mhor

Just make sure to use black powder shells in it.
Old July 22, 2002, 11:18 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Coach gun for clay pigeons?

Fun challange.

Would be good for the rare stakes game where the shooter stands on top of the trap house.

Reflex and mounting drill.

Much like high house walk up games.

Sam