The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 16, 2002, 05:46 PM   #1
Drjones

Bandoliers?

Does anyone have and use a bandolier for SG shells? I know its a little "Ubertactical" (Saw that here and had to use it! ) but seems practical. HOPEFULLY I'd never need that many shells, but seems like a great way to keep TONS of extra shells at hand. (60, actually!)

I've been considering a sidesaddle for my Mossi, until I read about the screws stripping out, I've read about the nylon/elastic stock pouches flopping, (I have a PG only, anyway...took off the full stock it came with.) so I think a bandolier is honestly a good idea.

Opinions? (For Self-Defense purposes...)

Drjones
Old July 16, 2002, 06:36 PM   #2
Mo_Zam_Beek

Geeezus - if it is that bad - stick em in a SAW pouch. Plus they are loose and easier to reload. A band-oh-leer seems a big ol fumble f*ckin event to get a reload.

IMHO
Old July 16, 2002, 07:40 PM   #3
Andrew Wyatt

Actually, bandoliers aren't that bad if you buy a good one.

Blackhawk and eagle both make excellent ones.

You'll probably need that much ammunition if you have a PG on your shotgun anyway

for keeping ammunition on the gun, a butt cuff is the way to go.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:07 PM   #4
CWL

I second the ammo pouch, you can get ones that hold them loose, or ones that hold 12 shells in elastic.

Bandoliers expose your shells to the elements, and if the elastic starts to go, they'll drop shells right about when you'll be needing them.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:19 PM   #5
KSFreeman

Hate them. All kinds of problems.

Prefer sidesaddle. Butt cuff gives me ouchie when I have to switch sides, but I am a mere lanky office geek unlike most of the former ST4 members that hang out at the gun shoppe.

I use a surplus gas mask bag for shotgun skuls. The divider in the middle separates the bird from the buckshot. Handy to have, just remember to load from the sidesaddle.
Old July 16, 2002, 09:21 PM   #6
jthuang

I'd also say ditch the bandoleer - reloading while trying to reach a swinging strap full of shells doesn't seem very conducive to success, especially if in a high-stress situation.

If you need that many shells, get a shotgunner's tac vest. I think Blackhawk's shotgunner vest puts 25 shotshells on your weak side, all in a non-floppy format.

Justin
Old July 16, 2002, 10:43 PM   #7
NIGHTWATCH

Just bought 2 last week from www.firequest.comThey are great quality (mil-spec) and a good price at $20.

If your going to be a shotgunner, and the SHTF, ya gunna needem.
Old July 17, 2002, 05:45 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Drjones, don't bother getting a bandolier. Since you're using a PG only shotgun, chances are excellent you'll be dead well before you need to reload.Excuse my bluntness, but these things are egregious.

Seriously,let's do some math. A round of 00 weighs about 3 oz. 60X3=180 oz, about 11 lbs and change. And I have to admit, even in my more paranoid moments, I've trouble thinking of a scenario where I have to repel 60 boarders.

Extra ammo is good, but there's limits.

A more practical bandolier may be the neoprene ones used by waterfowlers. These hold 25, IIRC, and come on a wide belt in a marsh type camo.

Two of the Nam style nylon pouches would hold 24 rounds,and would work with LBE or even a good leather belt.

And finally, a Side Saddle mounted with double sided tape or industrial Velcro might be the best choice. For an A/S, grab your weapon in the dark cuz' it's realy hit the fan scenario, this is the simplest approach, thus the best.

HTH....
Old July 17, 2002, 08:52 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

"You'll probably need that much ammunition if you have a PG on your shotgun anyway "

Yup.

Sam
Old July 17, 2002, 03:11 PM   #10
Andrew Wyatt

Bandoliers are better than bags of loose rounds because everything is oriented the same direction.

With a bandolier, no matter where on it you grab (assimung it's full) you'll come up with a loaded round. with a bag, you have to fumble around inside, and then the round will be in a bad orientation (like base first)

A bandolier is also more space efficient.

so, basically, a good bandolier (like the eagle) is the way to go, unless you're hunting or you're overly paranorid about whether your cases will get dented.. in that case a vest or a bag would be best.

I use a bandolier for all of the shotgun shooting i do, besides hunting, because i'd rather not attract attention to myself.

Last edited by Andrew Wyatt; July 17, 2002 at 06:54 PM.
Old July 17, 2002, 04:23 PM   #11
CWL

If equiptment has to be differentiated for "indoor use only" rather than "out in the weather", it's crap.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:18 PM   #12
NIGHTWATCH

Indoor/outdoor use

Doesnt matter. When it comes to shotgun ammo, which is heavy and space consuming, nothing beats a bandolier on the move (if fifty shells doesnt meet your needs, maybe its time to get a different type of firearm).
I say this because I have a "uncle mikes" shell belt that holds 25 shells, but I can go through that pretty quikly. With that in mind, Im opting for the bandolier. A shotgun without ammo serves no purpose except a kodak moment.
Old July 17, 2002, 10:06 PM   #13
Andrew Wyatt

I don't load my bandoliers to capacity, anyway. I've found that loading them up every other loop makes the rounds easier to grab and slide out.
Old July 17, 2002, 10:12 PM   #14
K80Geoff

European hunters tend to use bandoleers to feed their doubles. Carrying the weight of the shells around your waist is probably the most comfortable way to hunt.

There are many high quality bandoleers available at the upscale shooting suppliers like Orvis and Galazans. Some are made of high quality leathers and are pricey.

Another option is the Euro style shell bag that resembles a woman's large purse and has a strap that goes over your shoulder. The Brits use these for "Driven" shoots where shooting is fast and furious and quick access is needed. Usually made of pigskin, just the thing for fending off Taliban

Some links:

www.bsaltd.com
www.drake.net/html/field.html

A read through an issue of Double Gun Journal or Shooting Sportsman will turn up many manufacturers.

Sidesaddle! WE don't neen no stinkin sidesaddle
Old July 18, 2002, 12:22 AM   #15
Drjones

They make perfect sense to me, and I'm probably going to get one. Sure, I'll hopefully never need that many shells, but who knows??? And I think I'll forget the sidesaddle 'cause of the problems I read with the screws stripping and stuff.

The bags don't make much sense to me because the shells are all jumbled in there. A bandolier keeps them very orderly.

And a belt or pouch for a belt or LBE? Riiiiiiight.... This is strictly for home use. I'm really not gonna have time to put on a belt, but shouldn't be a prob tossing a bandolier over my head, pickin up the gun, and away I go...

Just my opinions

Drjones
Old July 18, 2002, 07:00 AM   #16
KSFreeman

Dr., you don't load from the bag. You use the bag to fill your sidesaddle (or whatever). Please note this is just for range use.

You should load the weapon from whatever ammo carrier you pick so that it becomes automatic and you do not have to use your eyes.

If you are in a very dark place where you need a lot of ammo, I suggest you load multiple guns and get someone on the radio. "War Rocket, this is Devil Dog . . . fire one round, vee tee frag."
Old July 18, 2002, 11:41 AM   #17
huntsman

bandolier you bet, I don't know much about all this tactical stuff but as a grouse hunter who has humped a lot of miles with a box of shells the best way I've found to carry is a bandolier. Do you need one just for home ? no I doubt it , but if I were to bug out with my SG then I'd grab my banolier . I've tried everything for long range carry and my second choice would be a leather cartridge belt. The bandolier I use is leather with 25 leather loops down front , the great thing about leather is if the loops stretch and loosen just wet them down and when dry they tighten right back up.