The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 3, 2002, 08:08 PM   #1
super cub

Browning A-5 information

Hello,
Fairly new to the Shotgun Forum. I apologize if this is a tired subject, but found nothing much thru a thread search.
I keep a Browning Auto-5 12 guage handy at home. Was wondering if anyone sells or ever made a magazine extension for these? I have not seen one. There seem to be plenty for Remingtons and Winchesters, so the Browning design may be the problem.
BTW, I have used an A-5 for hunting for many years and it never failed to function, so I trust it as a home defense weapon. I know pumps are the trend, but I forget to rack them! Yes, lack of practice, I know.
Thanks. D
Old July 3, 2002, 10:58 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

I don't know where once can be found, but i know they're available, because i've seen them in use at the Swat magazine world championship 3 gun match in use by one of the shooters on the milt sparks' team.
Old July 4, 2002, 05:02 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Choate used to advertise extensions for the A-5. Remember, you cannot clamp the mag and bbl together.

HTH....
Old July 4, 2002, 05:50 AM   #4
Kilrain

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...tSKU=252020-01
Old July 4, 2002, 10:24 AM   #5
TwoGuns

I have a Remington Model 11, which is basically just an A5. Does anyone know if the threading on the magazine tube is different on the A5 and Model 11?

I tried a friends 870 extended magazine just to see if it'd work, and with a spacer I think it'd be possible. But if the threadings the same, I could just use an A5 extension.
Old July 12, 2002, 08:41 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Wow Erick.....what a neat show n tell piece.

Sam
Old July 12, 2002, 09:06 PM   #7
BAD_KARMA

Remington model 11

If you have a 3 shot sportsmen model you need to change the magtube and forend to use an extension.

The Remington model 11 takes the 870 extension the a-5 will not work. you do need to shim between the extension and the forearm. I use one I got from a gunsmith that also serves as a front sling mount.