The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2002, 04:48 AM   #1
GCT00427

Sights

I have a Remington Marine Magnum and wondered what aftermarket sight options were available. I would like something that I could install myself. I would also consider a professional install but something that would not require a refinish. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old July 10, 2002, 05:18 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Chuck, what's the mission? Different sights for different purposes.

Birds, clays and HD, that bead works fine.

Slugs? That bead'll still work, but rifle type sights, GR or peep sights, Red dot or scopes all have some merit.
Old July 10, 2002, 05:39 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Ditto......

What do you want to do?
Old July 10, 2002, 07:03 AM   #4
GCT00427

I really just use the gun for home defense. I was interested in some of the fiber optic or ghost ring sights. I appreciate the quick responses. Maybe if the bead is O.K. I don't need to do anything. Any imput is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old July 10, 2002, 11:09 AM   #5
stinger

Whatcha need sights for? You don't even have to aim a shotgun.

I've never used my shotty for anything but bird/bunny hunting and clays. It is also my HD weapon. The bead works just fine for my purposes. But choose whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

Regards,

Stinger
Old July 10, 2002, 11:35 AM   #6
Bruce626

With only a few months of shotgun usage under my belt and 34 years since I last fired a rifle, I took a two-day training class and was hitting man-sized targets with slugs at 114 yds with a bead sight on a short barrel Mossberg 500.

The two other guys in my class both had ghost ring sights and I must admit to having some "sight envy"... but not enough envy to spend $125+ to add GR to my gun.

To "scratch the itch", I bought a $20 snap-on fiber optic front sight that allows me to finally shoot with both eyes open. It installs right behind existing bead and has survived 100 slug shots so far without moving a bit.

--Bruce.
Old July 10, 2002, 01:14 PM   #7
CWL

Ashley has a dot sight that you can glue over the bead. Don't know how rugged this is though...
Old July 10, 2002, 02:02 PM   #8
Melos

I have had MMC Ghost Ring, Ashley Outdoors Express, and stock front bead sights on my 870s.

For HD, I find that nothing suits me better than the stock front bead sight.

Last edited by Melos; July 10, 2002 at 03:47 PM.
Old July 10, 2002, 02:40 PM   #9
Andrew Wyatt

the mossberg factory ghost rings cost about 40 bucks.

the front is designed to be silver soldered on, but you can have your gunsmith or the local machineshop modify it to be screwed on with number 6 screws (the same as the bead, so you only have to drill and tap one extra hole in the barrel)

that's what i did, ahd the sight's still on.

haven't fired more than about a hundred rounds through it, though.
Old July 10, 2002, 04:25 PM   #10
DML

If you want ghost ring sights, one of the best combos for the Marine Magnum is a plated MMC rear sight and a Wilson/Scattergun Tech. front sight. The front sight is epoxied over the existing base that the bead is on. If it's done right, it will not come off. I always put a cross pin through the base for insurance. It's not cheap though.

If you will never shoot at anything over 20 yards the bead should work just fine. Be sure to take it out and shoot it. You have to know where the pattern is going. At close range (under 10 yards) your pattern may be under 6". You have to aim it like a rifle and mass produced shotguns do not always shoot where you point them.
Old July 10, 2002, 05:18 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

DML's on the money about shooting for impact.

For HD, I doubt any of the sight setups would show a noticable advantage over a bead in trained hands. And, nothing's faster than a bead.

I'm no big fan of Fiber Optics on shotguns, but I have been known to paint up a bead or front sight with bright yellow enamel to aid fast acquisition.

Before spending cash on a sight "Upgrade", why not squander a whole $2 on a little bottle of Testor's? White works also....
Old July 11, 2002, 10:25 AM   #12
GCT00427

Thanks for all the good information. I will try the testors idea. I had seen some adds for sights advertised and really just wanted to know what was available. I haven't shot the Marine Magnum that much but am really happy with it. All your replies are very much appreciated. Thank You.

Chuck
Old July 11, 2002, 11:24 AM   #13
Jeff, CA

I've used the Testor's on mine, but it wears off eventually (I don't recall rubbing the bead against anything, but the paint comes off anyway). Another option: Brownell's sells various sights with the (plastic) beads molded in color.

Old July 11, 2002, 11:29 AM   #14
hitnthexring

Instead of spending money on sights, I'd get a Sure Fire forend. The light will light up the sights and, more importantly, identify the target before you destroy it.