The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 7, 2018, 08:41 PM   #1
thallub

Dentist Arrested In Road Rage Incident

Incident began after Dr. Lona Bibbs, driving an Escalade, brake checked a red car. All three cars exited the interstate. The female passenger of the Avenger and Dr. Bibbs exchanged words at an intersection. Then things got crazy fast.

http://times-herald.com/news/2018/12...-rage-shooting
Old December 7, 2018, 08:46 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Ah the Christmas season . . . Anyone remember when Christmas brought out the best in people, and not this kind of crazy shenanigans?
Old December 7, 2018, 09:10 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Just the kind of cool even-tempered person I want taking care of my kids' teeth.
Old December 7, 2018, 09:26 PM   #4
Rachen

Classic case of people allowing their emotions to completely drive their course of events. Even when they CAN SEE, that their emotional screwups are going to have potentially disastrous consequences, they still refuse to acknowledge the gravity of the situation and find an escape ramp before the tires go POP.

It seems like had just ONE person possessed a cooler head, things could have been sorted out without having to blow over into the shooty category.

Is there any additional updates on the husband of the victim who had fired the shots that struck Walker? Would this go down as legitimate self defense? (Walker drew his gun first) And did the other guy get his gun back? This is going to be interesting.
Old December 7, 2018, 10:22 PM   #5
thallub

Update:

The altercation was witnessed by an off duty deputy who broke up the fight between the females. The shooter has not been charged.

The lawyer claims Walker never drew his gun.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...rLOlj5fj3h3BK/

Last edited by thallub; December 8, 2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old December 7, 2018, 10:32 PM   #6
Rachen

Quote:
The altercation was witnessed by an off duty deputy who broke up the fight between the females. The shooter has not been charged.
So Maxwell did not draw his weapon until Walker pulled out his gun...

Walker is guilty of more than a few serious infractions here: Intimidation and felony assault with a deadly weapon. Brandishing. Harassment. He produced the handgun when there was NO necessity for lethal force. It was a fistfight between two female combatants where no weapons had been present, until Walker "intervened" and now turned it into a dire situation.

Maxwell can legally say that, by Walker drawing his firearm in an obviously threatening manner, he was legitimately in fear for his life. There is still a possibility that someone will try to charge Maxwell somewhere down the line and this is going to turn into another long court battle.
Old December 8, 2018, 07:45 AM   #7
thallub

Not sure where i got the name Maxwell from. Apparently the names of the couple have not been released. It's an error on my part.

IMO: The dentist's irrational actions trashed her practice.
Old December 8, 2018, 12:25 PM   #8
jmhyer

It's hard to know for sure what happened at the scene of the shooting and who is at fault. But for the dentist to go fetch her armed husband and returning to the scene to seek out further confrontation? Stupid, irresponsible, and criminal. In my opinion, this is where the majority of blame should rest.
Old December 8, 2018, 04:29 PM   #9
Chaparral

Sounds like this Walker fella found out real quick he's not the only one carrying a pistol, and more importantly he knew how to use it on this Walker!
Old December 8, 2018, 05:23 PM   #10
TXAZ

As a pretty pro-2nd guy, there are clearly people who self identify that they should not be carrying a firearm. This might be one (or two) of them.
But considering the credibility of media reports, we need to wait for the investigation and verdict.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 8, 2018, 06:21 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Just the kind of cool even-tempered person I want taking care of my kids' teeth.
There is a goodly amount of mental issues with dentists as far as the industry goes.
https://www.dmdtoday.com/news/depres...ilent-epidemic

Suicide amongst them is high as well.
https://www.businessinsider.com/most...mit-suicide-18
Old December 8, 2018, 06:24 PM   #12
thallub

There were 30 witnesses to the altercation.

The account given by the dentists lawyer differs greatly from that of the police investigator, Herbert. The lawyer claims Walker is badly wounded and may lose his arm.

The dentist and her hubby have not yet given statements to the police.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/att...dent/884109038
Old December 8, 2018, 07:23 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub
The account given by the dentists lawyer differs greatly from that of the police investigator, Herbert. The lawyer claims Walker is badly wounded and may lose his arm.

So the dentist and her husband have not given a statement to the police, but their lawyer is already telling their version to the press. Good start. IMHO, he's trying to poison the jury pool.

Regardless of whether the dentist called her husband from her office or he was already there, the fact remains that they went hunting for the other couple, entrapped their car, and engaged in a confrontation that was entirely unnecessary. Apparently witnesses to the confrontation agree that the dentist's husband drew first, escalating a verbal disagreement into a gun fight -- which he lost.
Old December 9, 2018, 09:56 AM   #14
USNRet93

Bet it never sees a courtroom/jury..Bet the husband will get a plea deal so that he doesn't do any time..Good to see the dentist's practice has tanked..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 9, 2018, 07:41 PM   #15
Rachen

Quote:
True, at the same time. i feel they are a lot of incidents and death and unnecessary fight this time of the year.
Well, kicking off the holiday season by having folks ram, shove, punch, push and jostle each other for very cheap electronics and household goods seems like one way to get the festive mood going in high gear, right?........NOT

Last edited by Rachen; December 9, 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 9, 2018, 08:20 PM   #16
Rachen

Quote:
There is a goodly amount of mental issues with dentists as far as the industry goes.
https://www.dmdtoday.com/news/depres...ilent-epidemic

Suicide amongst them is high as well.
https://www.businessinsider.com/most...mit-suicide-18
A thread and poll posted on Arfcom (ar15.com) around the same time that the Ashley Madison scandal broke out revealed that the medical professions in general, including nursing, has some of the highest rates of infidelity as well, and that people working in the healthcare fields are more likely to engage in adulterous affairs. Alcoholism seems to be rather high among this socioeconomic group too. I do not mean to disrespect or belittle the members of this very honorable profession who are responsible for giving care to patients all over the country, but certain social conditions and peer influences seem to work harder in certain groups and lead to more irrational and self-destructive behavior.

Quote:
As a pretty pro-2nd guy, there are clearly people who self identify that they should not be carrying a firearm. This might be one (or two) of them.
But considering the credibility of media reports, we need to wait for the investigation and verdict.
You are definitely not the only one on this ship man! I think one of the last things anyone on God's green Earth wants to see is someone who is emotionally unstable getting access to firearms or any other dangerous implements. Hell, I wouldn't want them to drive either.

Quote:
There were 30 witnesses to the altercation.

Makes you wonder why they have not given statements to the police yet. They are fully aware that not only they started the confrontation, Walker escalated it by pulling out a gun, turning a fistfight into a deadly force situation. And now Walker's defense team trying to pull off a sob story about how this poor outstanding citizen is suffering so much pain unnecessarily because he got shot? If he had not played stupid games, that would not have happened to him. He had learned a lesson now, that just because you are a big and fast rat in the rat race does not mean that there aren't rats that are bigger and faster than you are. There is always going to be someone who will outclass, outgun and outmaneuver you.

Last edited by Rachen; December 9, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:32 PM   #17
jmhyer

"If he had not played stupid games..."

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Old December 10, 2018, 01:36 AM   #18
cpt-t

Sounds like maybe the old saying applies. You can take the couple out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the couple.
ken
Old December 10, 2018, 05:05 AM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachen
Makes you wonder why they have not given statements to the police yet.
It takes time to concoct a story that has a prayer of appearing credible when it has to contradict the testimony of thirty eyewitnesses. Their lawyer will keep them from giving a statement for as long as he possibly can, while he coaches them on what not to say.
Old December 10, 2018, 10:23 AM   #20
BarryLee

Yes, if this does go to trial all they have to do is win over one member of the jury. I was once on jury duty for a DUI case which featured video of the guy driving drunk, video of him failing field sobriety test and medical records showing blood alcohol over the legal limit. However, when we had our fist round of voting a third of the jury voted not guilty. They guy had a great lawyer and he really muddied the water, but after reviewing the facts we did find the guy guilty.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 10, 2018, 02:34 PM   #21
DavidAGO

well, dang, I am now in trouble. I am a dentist and I have a CC permit. But as for road rage, I live in a small town. When two cars meet at the same time at a 4 way stop sign usually both wave the other to go on first.

One reason I think I am not going to be one of the suicide statistics is that I do not read articles such as the one the OP linked to. We all have enough going on in our lives without spending time reading about other people's problems and stupid behavior.

David
Old December 10, 2018, 06:14 PM   #22
2wheelwander

The first comment under the story

"Now accepting new patients!" BWWWHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAA
Old December 10, 2018, 06:22 PM   #23
RC20

I do have to then ponder the "an armed society is a polite society"
Old December 10, 2018, 07:01 PM   #24
xandi

“I do have to then ponder the "an armed society is a polite society”
Of coarse it is, when everyone is smart enough to realize that, hey that guy could be armed
Maybe I should treat him/her/idk with respect and as a individual whom is as intelligent as i
Old December 11, 2018, 10:58 PM   #25
Colorado Redneck

Quote:
Of coarse it is, when everyone is smart enough to realize that, hey that guy could be armed.
The problem is, however, in the heat of the moment, some never think of the eventuality. If all of us did think, potenial jail time would prevent all crime.