The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 29, 2018, 08:15 AM   #1
PACKIN' PLASTIC

Gun part ID help - the mystery bolt

I got this in a ziplock lot with some other parts I needed, I can usually figure out what a part goes to but this has me stumped.

Clearly some kind of bolt head that doesn't rotate to lock, the breachface is .45/308 size and it is fairly small only 3.3 ounces. Material is carbon steel with blued finish.

I'm pretty sure it is for a firearm that feeds from a bottom-feed box magazine and has an internal hammer and some kind of buffer or bolt carrier attached to this bolt head. I've looked up every model I could think of and nothing is close. Not a Kriss vector or STG44 or VZ52 and not a fixed firing pin so most obscure SMG's are out. Not a camp 45 or hipoint or PC40...so what?

Old November 29, 2018, 02:15 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

Hmmmmm

Could be internal slide and firing pin for a semi-auto shotgun.
Old November 29, 2018, 03:23 PM   #3
PACKIN' PLASTIC

The breach face is only barely big enough for a .45 ACP or 308 it won't come close to fitting a .410 shotshell.
Old November 29, 2018, 03:52 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Can you see a surface that's aligned and worn such that it is a locking surface?

Based on breechface wear, it's definitely been used, so if there is a locking surface, it should show wear too.

If there's no locking surface then that probably narrows it down to a pistol caliber firearm.

It kind of looks like something that would be roll-pinned in place inside the slide of a pistol. I just don't know which one.
Old November 29, 2018, 04:48 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It kind of looks like something that would be roll-pinned in place inside the slide of a pistol. I just don't know which one.

The breechblock of an early Sig (P220) would be my guess, but its only a guess.
Old November 29, 2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Skans

That bolt looks familiar, but I can't for the life of me think what it goes to!
Old November 29, 2018, 06:41 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The breechblock of an early Sig (P220)...
I think you're onto something with that. The firing pin definitely looks like a SIG P220 firing pin.

Here's a picture of a P228/226 breechblock.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...rod/34226032-R

Here's a video showing a P6 being detail stripped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITuM4QYB18c

Looks like the firing pin safety is missing from yours.
Old November 29, 2018, 08:10 PM   #8
krunchnik

Looks like the insert for a Sig with the outdated carbon slide.
Old November 29, 2018, 11:41 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
insert for a Sig with the outdated carbon slide.
That would be the original breechblock for the P220/Browning BDA 45 which was pinned into the slide...

my guess, anyway

and yes some parts seem to be missing...
Old November 30, 2018, 12:32 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

The shape of the firing pin seals it for me. The only ones I have ever seen with the front half round cut out and the rear half round and stepped cutout is the BDA 45.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 4, 2018, 09:47 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looks like a Sig Sauer to me. Don't know which model though. ''

You can see the cut for the firing pin block and the groove for the extractor.

In support of what Mike says, the BDA was a Sig marketed by Browning.
Old December 4, 2018, 10:58 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
In support of what Mike says, the BDA was a Sig marketed by Browning.
The Browning BDA 45 was made by Sig-Sauer marked with Browing's name on it, and sold in the US in the late 70s (78- I think) I bought mine in 1980. The left side of the slide is marked
"Browning Arms Co
Morgan, Utah & Montreal P.Q."

The right side of the slide is marked
"SIG-Sauer System
Made in W.Germany"

The right grip panel of the plastic grips has the name "Browning".
The checkered wood grips, do not,

From what I've read, there were approximately 5000 some BDA 45s in .45acp, somewhere between 2 and 3,000 in 9mm Luger, and a few hundred in .38 Super imported under Browning's name.

I took the breech block out of the slide of mine, once, before I learned that you really weren't supposed to do that, and if you did, you were supposed to use new roll pins when you reinstalled it. Its been more than 20 years, so from the best my memory can do, the pictured item looks like what came out of (and went back into) my BDA 45 slide.

So, that's my guess, and no, I'm not taking one out of mine again, for comparison or any other reason.
Old December 5, 2018, 09:53 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

44AMP - bottom magazine release on that BDA? That's one feature I didn't care for as well as the hooked finger rest trigger guard. Despite that, I carried a P220 for years (it was very southpaw friendly).
Old December 5, 2018, 12:55 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
44AMP - bottom magazine release on that BDA?
Yes. Heel type mag catch. The trigger guard "hook" never bothered me, I did try to use it for a little while, but it didn't feel right, so I stopped, and now I just don't even notice it.

The mag release however did bug me for a long time. I did play the run dodge and shoot games for a while with the BDA, it was the only pistol I had then. The European style heel clip mag catch did make me slower than people using a pushbutton type.

Over time, however my resentment diminished, as I realized that #1, in any realistic real work situation I was likely to be in the very, very slight time difference in reloading speed wasn't likely to make a crucial difference.

And, I took up other games, such as looking at what might be valuable/useful with the impending collapse of society...(and just because we've avoided it for the last 40 years doesn't mean we ALWAYS will, )….and I noticed a couple things...
first, the heel type release is about impossible to ACCIDENTLY release the magazine. Colt/Luger style buttons (which I do love, and prefer) can be bumped and under the right conditions, dump your magazine, or worse, just unlatch it enough to fail to feed...and extended mag buttons, used for that extra fraction of a second speed on race guns, are notorious for getting bumped at the wrong time.

The other thing that turned me off to the "speed games" was the required tactical reload. Looking at it from a (slightly) more real world perspective, and knowing that you will "fight like you train", it occurred to me that, if you were a single individual, without backup from others, or a support organization, dumping your mag, and 2-3 (or more) rounds to the ground might not be such a good idea.

They would say, "well speed helps you win and after you win you can go back and pick up your mags... " which is true in a game, but might not be in real life. And I'm using a gun with uncommon magazines, so tossing them means pretty quick I'm down to one mag, with no reliable source of resupply in bad times. Not a good idea, I thought. Works if you're carrying a dozen Colt mags, they're common and relatively easy to get more, but if you're using something else, then not so much.

the point being that I discovered that I was still a little faster reloading with a heel clip gun than a DA revolver and since I used those too, I didn't think I was going to die, die, die, due to being 1.37 seconds slower than the guy with the 1911. And I had my empty, or partially empty mags in a bag or a pocket to be reused when time permitted.

Fortunately, the real world has not, to date, ever challenged me to prove my opinion on this, and isn't likely to in the time I have left, so I'm not very concerned about it anymore...

Just my opinion, and I do prefer the "American" over the "European" standard, but have decided a heel clip is not a deal breaker for me.

FYI, "modern" SIG P220 mags (for the American button release) DO work in the BDA with the heel clip, IF they don't have a "bumper pad" on the bottom.
Old December 5, 2018, 01:20 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks for your insights on the BDA. Didn't realize the bumper pad issue until you mentioned it.