The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 8, 2018, 04:07 AM   #51
kozak6

9x18.

I was doing some Mak shopping a couple years back. I was still unhappy about never being able to find 7.62x25, so I was keeping an eye out for 9x18 to see if I'd find myself in the same predicament. Yep.

I think I've seen it three times in a gun shop.

Once at at an almost fair price, once at Sportsman's Warehouse for a fair price (none last time I went), and once at $35 for the lone box on the shelf.

It's very very easy to order online nowadays, but still...

More lately, I'm thinking I would prefer not to be dependent on foreign ammo or milsurp if practical. Seeing 7N6 get banned was an eye opener. Obscure stuff is an easy target. Russian stuff in particular is at risk. Ammo hasn't been affected much, but we sure can't Veprs or Saigas anymore. And if milsurp dries up, it REALLY dries up.
Old December 8, 2018, 04:28 AM   #52
TruthTellers

If it's something I want to shoot, I'll reload it. So the answer is it doesn't bother me at all because I avoid buying ammo at the store and paying a sales tax to a state that wastes the money.

If we leave reloading out, the one cartridge I'll say is concerning with ammo droughts today, it's .327. Thankfully you can shoot .32 S&W Long in it, so it's not a paperweight, but if you want something powerful to shoot from your .327, you'll have to wait at times.

It's worse with rimless cartridges and bottleneck cases; you're stuck with what the gun is chambered for.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that we never know what legislation is going to come in the future that bans sales of gun related stuff online. California already made it so all ammo sales require a background check, there's nothing saying that can't happen in other states or Congress won't add ammo sales to the 4473 requirements.

In that event, having a local store that won't charge you for ammo transfers will make the process easier, so going to Walmart, where they don't sell .327, 7.7 Jap, .22 Jet, makes you think a moment before you buy an oddball cartridge.
Old December 8, 2018, 01:22 PM   #53
jgrns

What are the new CA ammo laws? I assume they are not good for us at all, right? I thought New York was bad enough with the SAFE Act, having to have your identification logged for purchasing ammo, correct ammo for gun registered to you, etc... What have they come up with in CA this time?

Currently, buyers can only buy from a licensed vendor (store, etc).
Starting July 2019 store owners (venders) will run background checks on buyers to insure the can buy, own, possess ammunition.
No person to person exchange of ammo unless thru a vendor.
No mail order ammo unless shipped and processed thru a vendor.
and so on...
Old December 9, 2018, 09:28 PM   #54
Rachen

Quote:
Starting July 2019 store owners (venders) will run background checks on buyers to insure the can buy, own, possess ammunition.
and so on...
This is basically like our SAFE Act. Which has absolutely no use in actually preventing gun crime, like all knee-jerk gun control laws. That is their logic of course. If your arm hurts, get the bonesaw

All the more reasons to start learning how to reload and invest in reloading supplies.
Old December 9, 2018, 11:12 PM   #55
bamaranger

not very

As a reloader, I do not worry about factory ammo much. The exception to that is my 5mm Rimfire Magnum......once again out of production.
Old December 22, 2018, 08:24 AM   #56
jackstrawIII

Yeah, it’s not really a consideration for me at all. With that said, I have learned to check and make sure that brass is available somewhere online. I’ve owned a few guns in “off the reservation” type calibers and the struggle to find or make brass got old quick. So, I still own and enjoy rounds like 257 Rob, 358 Win, and 338-06 that you can’t buy in stores, but can find or make brass easily enough.

For handguns, I stick to regular calibers and buy in bulk online. Easy.
Old December 22, 2018, 03:27 PM   #57
M88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44AMP
...if you have an uncommon round, and your own supply already, its not an issue, is it??
Referring to a scenario where normal commerce breaks down and guns and ammo are scarce. This made me think that IF I were ever in a situation like that, and I DID have an uncommon round, if I DID run into a group, or even family I linked up with, at least I would be way less likely to have to "share", and my rounds would only be needed by ME! Just a thought.

To answer 44AMP's post, the availability of the round was never a consideration as to whether I'd buy that gun or not. My goal was to have a collection of as many calibers as I could afford. That obviously includes many calibers that are hard to find in most retail, even many gun stores. But, almost anything can be found online now. Sure you'll pay a premium for odd stuff, but I just don't shoot that as much as a result. Now that I'm starting to reload, the oddball stuff assuming I can get dies for it, just becomes an issue of getting brass for it once I've used what I have to many times.
Old December 23, 2018, 08:19 AM   #58
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrns View Post
What are the new CA ammo laws? I assume they are not good for us at all, right? I thought New York was bad enough with the SAFE Act, having to have your identification logged for purchasing ammo, correct ammo for gun registered to you, etc... What have they come up with in CA this time?

and so on...
So you buy from an online vendor of ammunition and they do a background check first?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 23, 2018, 11:06 AM   #59
joed

I've never worried about ammo or components for anything I own. My first rifle, a .25-06 taught me well. I stock up on components for everything I shoot just in case it becomes scarce. I'm still shooting bullets I paid $7.50 per hundred for on the .25-06.

I've done the same for every rifle I shoot. The only cartridge I could be hurting for is a .35 Rem that I inherited a few years ago.

Rarely do I use factory ammo in anything.