The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 29, 2018, 12:02 AM   #26
Cirdan

CCI minimags or Aquila for the most part.

During the great shortage, I actually bought a Heritage Arms Rough Rider 22 revolver so I could shoot all the ####### Winchester white box that would NOT cycle my semi-automatic 22.
Old December 27, 2018, 07:44 PM   #27
usr1987

I would never buy again Winchester unless you use it in a SA/DA revolver but even than might cause issues. I am good luck with Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet but best was any CCI.
Old December 27, 2018, 08:10 PM   #28
2wheelwander

CCI and Aguila for me.

I'd like to take this moment to formally curse those who hoarded .22 LR for the sole intent of flipping it at a gross profit causing artificial inflation and empty shelves everywhere.

May your bowels be forever loose and suffering a minor headache.
Old December 28, 2018, 09:00 AM   #29
cw308

For my CZ452 I only feed it Wolf target match , nothing shot better .
Old December 28, 2018, 09:28 PM   #30
TruthTellers

I'm not going to say that I haven't had issues with Winchester White Box in some of my .22's, but it's worked well in others and I just figure that's normal .22 rimfire for ya. The worst I've encountered was the polymer coated CCI (they've had Red, White, and Blue for July 4tha and Red/Green for Xmas) and that stuff shoots very inaccurately in all my guns and/or won't feed in some.
Old December 28, 2018, 09:30 PM   #31
Doyle

CCI Standard followed by Federal bulk. NEVER Remington Thunderduds or Win Super-X.
Old December 29, 2018, 04:32 AM   #32
AzShooter

CCI SV, Mini Mags and Blazer are what I shoot most but on Thanksgiving Academy Sports had Eley for a great price and I bought a case of Standard and a few boxes of Force. I would never buy that stuff at full retail.
Old December 29, 2018, 05:53 AM   #33
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Since the .22 ammo panic is long over and prices are low enough to buy in large quantity again, I decided earlier this year to start cutting down on the variety and different brands/loadings of .22 I have. I'm shooting up the bulk packed ammo when I go to the range and have decided on only buying a handful of .22 to keep stockpiled.

I'm just wondering does anyone else do this or do you just buy whatever .22 you can find or what's cheapest? . . . .
Having bought both boxes and bulk packs in a "catch as catch can" manner for several years, I've got kind of a little of everything. That means that it'll take me while to shoot through the variety I've laid in. I'm good with that. Shooting .22s makes me smile.

I must admit to being a BIG fan of being able to buy .22 regularly again, but I bought my first case online last year about this time. Federal somethingorother. I'd have to go look at the box. I'd like to lay in a couple more cases of bulk .22, including but not limited to:
1. CCI Standard Velocity. Just about everything I've bought over the years has been HV, but I've begun to think that SV may group better for some of my guns. And I'd love to do some "serious" testing. (That's pronounced "kill more soup cans.")
2. Aguila SV. See above

I'd like a good supply of those, but am pretty content to keep a mishmash on hand. Only a couple of my .22s seem to show much preference, at least as far as feeding and ejection. Grouping may be another story.
Old December 29, 2018, 12:41 PM   #34
TruthTellers

Aguila makes good ammo, but when it comes to standard velocity I stick with CCI because almost anything CCI is always available at any gun store or Walmart. Same goes for Mini Mags, Stinger, Velocitor; Aguila makes similar ammo, but the CCI stuff is easier to find and IMO, a bit better.

If Aguila just shoots better out of any gun that a person owns, by all means, by whatever shoots best from your gun.

Stuff that is completely unique and no one else makes that only Aguila does, like Colibri, Sniper SubSonic... just for the niche uses they're made for are worth trying and stocking a few hundred rounds of if they shoot well in one's guns.
Old December 31, 2018, 08:33 PM   #35
berettaprofessor

CCI Standard is about all I buy these days. Sometimes Remington subsonic or GemTech subsonic if it's a good price. I'd buy Wolf Match, but I haven't seen it on a shelf since 2012...just online and I don't get much 22LR online. Like the OP, I've got too much "crap" that I bought before the panic when I was not as discriminating...Federal Automatch, Champion, etc....I should just sell it away cheap because I purchased it at pre-panic prices.

What I won't buy ever again:

CCI Quiet (worthless except a revolver)
Rem Golden Bullets (nobody wonders why)
Federal Automatch (lousy accuracy in most of my guns)
Federal Champion (poor plating...corrodes over time)
Any supersonics; Browning, Velocitor, etc. (lousy accuracy)
CCI Select ("select"...is no better than CCI Standard and more expensive)
Old December 31, 2018, 11:45 PM   #36
kenny53

I have been in the habit of buying the cheapest stuff I can find. I still have stuff that I had stashed during the 22 drought from a few years ago. I had it stacked deep then and still have it stacked deep. I do rotate my stock. I will say I never gouged anybody during the 22 shortage. I sold one brick for $20 and gave one brick away. The rest I kept for me and family. I try and stack all my calibers pretty deep and would suggest that if you can you should start doing the same.
Old January 1, 2019, 12:26 AM   #37
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
CCI Standard is about all I buy these days. Sometimes Remington subsonic or GemTech subsonic if it's a good price. I'd buy Wolf Match, but I haven't seen it on a shelf since 2012...just online and I don't get much 22LR online. Like the OP, I've got too much "crap" that I bought before the panic when I was not as discriminating...Federal Automatch, Champion, etc....I should just sell it away cheap because I purchased it at pre-panic prices.

What I won't buy ever again:

CCI Quiet (worthless except a revolver)
Rem Golden Bullets (nobody wonders why)
Federal Automatch (lousy accuracy in most of my guns)
Federal Champion (poor plating...corrodes over time)
Any supersonics; Browning, Velocitor, etc. (lousy accuracy)
CCI Select ("select"...is no better than CCI Standard and more expensive)
CCI Quiet is a non-semi auto ammo. Can't remember if it says on the box it won't work in semi-auto's, but on CCI's website they have in red letter that manual cycling of the action may be required.

The Hyper velocity stuff is for max power when needed. It's not going to be as accurate as standard velocity or subsonic .22, but that ammo isn't nearly as powerful.

Federal can be okay ammo, but it's not worth it to me to keep on hand over CCI Standard.
Old January 1, 2019, 07:40 AM   #38
Mannlicher

I sure hope .22 LR has no expiry date. I bought cheap and deep back 10 years ago, and have never come close to a shortage.
CCI and Federal are what I usually choose when I buy now.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 1, 2019, 04:58 PM   #39
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa View Post
Mainly CCI standard velocity followed by Aguila Super Extra standard velocity. These seem to be the best “bang” for the buck, excuse the pun..
Exactly what I do.
Old January 1, 2019, 11:45 PM   #40
GarandTd

Blazer is my favorite and shoots very well out of all of my 22's. Remington Thunderbolt has also worked well for me. I've had a lot of problems with Winchester Super X so I avoid it. I like the cci quiets and they DO cycle my M&P22c most of the time. Federal has been hit and miss.
Old January 5, 2019, 01:08 PM   #41
ZVP

Aguilar not so good!

I've tried this brand in all my RF's and found their cases to be too soft and have experienced damage on extraction
I' ve read many good reports but still don't trust soft brass!!!
Give me WW Super-X , RemingtonGolden or CCI topgrade ammo,my RF's all shoot best with Super-X. Hen I shoot, it's always for real and there'sNO room for inferior ammo!