The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 17, 2018, 04:05 PM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
A pre-war Walther in good condition will perform like a new gun. Take care of it and it will last forever.

BTW, that's the first choice of James Bond
Actually, according to James Bond affectionados, James Bond preferred a 1932 in .380 (or was it the .32 1934?) and that "Q" had to insist that James switch to the Walther PPK. Myself, I don't know...not a fan of James Bond stuff. I have however, been a admirer of the .380 Walther PPK for many years.
Old September 17, 2018, 04:26 PM   #27
Paul B.

"Actually, according to James Bond affectionados, James Bond preferred a 1932 in .380 (or was it the .32 1934?) and that "Q" had to insist that James switch to the Walther PPK. Myself, I don't know...not a fan of James Bond stuff. I have however, been a admirer of the .380 Walther PPK for many years."

Bond's Beretta was .25 ACP. M ordered him to go with the PPK in 32 ACP as the .25 had jammed on Bond and darn near got him killed. I've had several PPK's but prefer the PPK/s in .380. I also have a Manhurin PP in .32 ACP made under license from Walther. Very nice pistols.
Paul B.
Old September 17, 2018, 05:17 PM   #28
GarandTd

The Remington RM380 is a good looking little pistol. The one I have has been 100% reliable with round nose and hollow points. Remington bought Rohrbaugh and improved upon their design, adding a slide release lever and ambi mag release. It is not unpleasant to shoot either.
Old September 17, 2018, 05:21 PM   #29
jar

Sig P230 with some nice grips;

Smith & Wesson Double Action model 4;

Colt Detective Special with some aftermarket grips;

Old September 17, 2018, 05:41 PM   #30
Dred

Well, not mine, but:

https://www.thektog.org/threads/wts-...pistol.269576/
Old September 17, 2018, 06:44 PM   #31
Carmady

Colt 1908 in nickel.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...4&d=1507674733
Old September 17, 2018, 06:47 PM   #32
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPMJUSTICE View Post
Hello all. New to posting but I’ve read the firing line several times to answer questions I’ve had. I currently have a good IWB 1911, a good OWB double stack H&K, and a good gym/beach gun in an NAA 22 mag. What I feel like I’m missing in my concealed carry tool box is a good pocket pistol for when I’m in dress pants with a tucked in shirt. I live in the south so when I dress nice it’s usually without a jacket. And since dress pants pockets have more room than gym shorts and swimming trunks I feel like I should take advantage of being able to carry something better than a 22 mag that I can’t reload. But since I’ll be in dress pants when carrying it I kinda want something with a lot of style. Something I can show off in the right setting. Like I said, I live in the south and it’s not uncommon to be in an upscale setting and someone curious about what you’re carrying. So:

1. Pocket pistol
2. Quicker on the reload that an NAA mini revolver
3. Something with a lot of style
Colt Pocket Hammerless.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 17, 2018, 06:58 PM   #33
105kw

For style, a Smith & Wesson Model 38. Nickle plated, they are just cool.

Pocket carry using a Kramer holster. Like I said ,just cool.
Old September 17, 2018, 07:44 PM   #34
jrothWA

Style, then consider a Colt Model M in .32 ACP or .380 ACP.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:29 PM   #35
jr24

Rather then get another gun for dress clothes, I'd just get a tuckable holster for your IWB gun.

Vedder light tuck and a 1911 disappears with a tucked shirt in my experience.

I always just run my EDC tucked under a dress shirt at church on sundays.
Old September 18, 2018, 07:20 AM   #36
CAPMJUSTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Well,we must agree to disagree. If I carry it it is loaded. Loaded means one in the pipe. One in the pipe means I don't show it off to anybody! No matter what the attitude of surrounding people is. Every time you handle a loaded gun, no matter how safe you think you are being, you risk a negligent discharge. Guns, especially loaded guns aren't meant to be a status symbol fashon accessory like a fancy watch, ir expensive jewlery. Not in my world anyway. If I want to show off one of my nicer guns it is taken from the safe where it is stored empty.
You’re still presenting my situation as something it’s not. I never said a gun is a fashion accessory. I’m a combat veteran and a gun is a serious thing in my world too. I just have an appreciation, and I’m obviously not alone in that, for well engineered and well designed arms. By your definition you risk a negligent discharge just by carrying a loaded gun. In my world you don’t handle a gun unless you know what you are doing. I’ve seen guns dropped a few times by timid handlers too, so it’s just as important to be confident and treat a gun with you as the master of it, not as someone with a tornado in their pocket, with shakey sweaty hands any time they get near it. I get it, your wanting to communicate that you’re a serious safety oriented person. But painting a false image of someone else as a starting point to make yourself look better is a logical fallacy.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:00 PM   #37
Cheapshooter

Not trying to make anyone look better, or worse. Just stating the facts. A loaded gun safely secured in a proper holster in a pocket is not a danger like a loaded gun being handled just to "show it off". No matter the experience level of the person handling it. Trained LE, and firearms instructors have had a ND. Many of which have been documented in videos. To me it just isn't that important to show off my "style" with my carry arms.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 18, 2018, 01:39 PM   #38
Bill DeShivs

Don't you have to UNLOAD those guns to get the unloaded guns out of your safe?

Capmjustice seems to be well-versed in firearms handling.
Old September 18, 2018, 02:36 PM   #39
peterg7

Pocket carry in slacks requires a light gun and good holster, nothing heavier than LCP. IMHO forget style and do practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 18, 2018, 02:37 PM   #40
CAPMJUSTICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Sig P230 with some nice grips;

Smith & Wesson Double Action model 4;

Colt Detective Special with some aftermarket grips;

Those are beautiful pieces. Do you carry them in rotation? Which one’s your favorite? Or would that be like asking which child is your favorite lol?
Old September 18, 2018, 02:40 PM   #41
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Don't you have to UNLOAD those guns to get the unloaded guns out of your safe?
The guns in the safe are not loaded when they are put in there.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 18, 2018, 03:12 PM   #42
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPMJUSTICE View Post
Those are beautiful pieces. Do you carry them in rotation? Which one’s your favorite? Or would that be like asking which child is your favorite lol?
Yes, they all see regular rotation but in slightly less formal dress. The Detective Special and 230 get rubber grips, Pachy's on the DS and Hogue on the Sig. There is also an East German Mak I forgot to post. Most often though they end up OWB or IWB rather than In The Pocket but they all are small enough for that and I have pocket holsters for each of them.

The Sig (I'm carrying this today) in a Hume IWB:

The Smith (yesterday's companion; it was made most likely in 1903) in a Galco OWB:

The Detective Special in a Lou Alessi OWB:

and the Mak in a High Noon Softie IWB:
Old September 18, 2018, 07:40 PM   #43
CAPMJUSTICE

Found this today, thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DA81E702-51B0-4636-8653-DE4209AD7900.jpeg (31.4 KB, 92 views)
Old September 18, 2018, 07:50 PM   #44
bn12gg

Ha, wants to "show off.".......

FN Browning 1900. .32
Colt 1903
Colt 1908
FN Browning 1910 // 22

Pull some real steel from those pants !!

.02. David.
Old September 19, 2018, 08:02 AM   #45
PSP

Currently pocket carry a Beretta Pico. It has all of the features I want in a small gun; DA/SA, reliable, lightweight, thin and a safe trigger suitable for pocket carry. It's very easy to clean. Good sights allow you to shoot well and has an optional integrated laser.

The other gun I pocket carried is the Seecamp. It was very reliable. No sights, harder to take down but so, so tiny and easy to conceal.

Those were my picks for my needs. I think in terms of function over style. There are many good choices these days.
Old September 19, 2018, 04:51 PM   #46
Bill DeShivs

A lightweight Browning .25 is a pretty flashy little gun, and the Renaissance model is probably the ultimate.
Old September 28, 2018, 12:36 PM   #47
lewwallace

pocket pistol

For its time the 1870s the Webley Rpyal Irish Constabulary (RIC) was a international favorite!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160327_101820(1).jpg (71.0 KB, 54 views)
Old September 28, 2018, 04:42 PM   #48
Dano4734

For me its a 9mm glock 43 with a quality pocket holster
Old September 28, 2018, 07:23 PM   #49
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano4734 View Post
For me its a 9mm glock 43 with a quality pocket holster
Just bought one the other day. I normally carry a sig .380 and put it in a sticky pocket holster. That works great in smaller pockets but in larger pockets, it would turn on me and make it hard to retrieve. The slightly larger 43 fits well in my larger pockets and stays put with a Sticky holster. I guess you could say one size doesnt always fit all. The important part for me beyond staying put is that when in the right pocket, neither prints.
Old September 28, 2018, 07:41 PM   #50
tallball

Small handguns which I own personally and are "cool-looking"...

The Mauser Model 1910 is in 25acp and somewhat smaller than the Model 1914 in 32acp.

The Colt 1903 is a great-looking pistol.

My Star Model CO is stainless steel, good-looking, and much better built than most small 25acp pistols.

The Pico is stainless steel, interesting looking, and is a Beretta. Plus, if your hand isn't too large, it's actually very practical.

Personally, I carry an LCR or LCP most of the time, but I'm kind of boring in general.

Tags
pocket carry , pocket gun