The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 29, 2009, 06:57 PM   #26
ironhorsedriver

New in WV

Hello, New to handguns. Just received concealed carry. Looking to learn from experienced people.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:15 PM   #27
My870inVT

Oh wow I just found this thread...

Anyways I found this forum the other day and wow I absolutely love it. This place has been a wealth of information as well as a good place for me to start spending some money .

A little bit of background on me... I'm a 21 y/o male from the gun loving state of vermont. I am currently a city boy but I come from all over. I have been really into shooting the last few years (mostly skeet) and have fallen in love with the sport, as well as the right to bear arms. I look forward to visiting this forum a lot and hopefully getting to know some of you fellow Gun Lovers.

_Chris
Old March 30, 2009, 10:57 AM   #28
chicharrra

New here, Obama got me worried...I wana keep my guns!

New here, Obama got me worried so I joined this forum to learn and reasearch so that I can try and protect my Gun Rights.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:30 PM   #29
Ares

Hello there

Brett ,22, from the lou kentucky, ive been trolling here for a while thought I would sign up. Ive been shooting since i could hold a gun, love it and need to start going to the range and stuff more, kind of new to louisville area thought I might be able to find some people to shoot with. I have a decent collection of firarms so far.
CC/HD - XD9SC
HD - Stag AR15 With AMEEtech Heavy upper assemblie
Sniper - Remington 700Police 5.56 & 7.62 variants
Fun - Ruger 10/22(some mods), Benelli 12 Gauge (duck/turkey gun)
Old March 31, 2009, 02:01 AM   #30
DCXD45

Joined about a few weeks ago and bought my first fireard about 2 months ago and absolutely love it.
After comparing the Glock models with the Springfield XD models. i decieded to go with the springfield xd /45 acp with a 4" barrel. Absolutely love it. Going to get my ccw class done on april 5th...
Also found the best holster ever for IWB
the MTAC minotaur hybrid holster
cost about $80 only problem is my slide disassembly lever tore up the leather and i had to buy some leather ball glove conditioner to streatch out the leather a bit. Most comfortable holster i can ever imagine.
And it conceals great too. definately look into it.
COMPTAC.com

I am 22 yrs old and live in AZ. I am in the US Air Force..
Been to AFGHANISTAN in support of OEF. awesome experiance. would like to go back but i have a 5 month old son i have to take care of now. dont want to miss too much with him...
well thats all from me!!!

happy shooting!!!
DC
Old March 31, 2009, 02:13 AM   #31
fireaway329

just saying hello

hi my name is justin and im a gun fanatic like most of you i live in southern utah and i am completly surounded by blm my nearest neighbor is 11 miles so i shoot every day i love when i want to test my reloads i just walk out and shoot, im on these forums for all the good info so thank you every one for the information plus its good to know there are other poeple like me out there with how much gun rights are getting assulted these days,i also have been getting into bullet casting lately and reload about ten diffrent rounds and wish i had more guns so i could do more. nice to meet you all.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:19 AM   #32
jeepstrapped

Hello

I am new here, been looking through the forums for a while. Mostly I look for answers and ask few questions.
I am 36, I grew up shooting .303 brits (my first rifle) and .44 Pythons and Redhawks which explains my tastes in firearms.
I am married, 10 years, and have 4 kids, 9, 7, 3, & 11 mo's. I live in Southeastern South Dakota in the country and have my own, small, plinking/skeet range.
I own an 870 Express Super Magnum, a Yugo SKS, a Mossberg Model 342 .22.
I have a CCW but do not carry: 1. I haven't found a pistol I like yet, 2. I drive through Iowa, Nebraska, and the Omaha Reservation on my way to work, hence too many hassles to carry to and from work.
I teach math at a community college and am getting my Doc in Adult Higher Ed.
I like, and appreciate, milsurp rifles etc... enough that I am considering a C&R FFL in the near future.
My future plans include pistols in .40 semi-auto and .44 wheelgun, a boomstick along the lines of a mossberg 500, and rifles: mausers, springfields, enfields, of the .30 and 7.56 variety, of course I would not turn down a nice deal on a .300 Mag either.

If you haven't noticed yet, I am a bit long winded and don't plan on changing .
Ideologically I am Libertarian.
I enjoy older full size jeeps, chainsaws and cutting firewood for the furnace and fireplace, lawn tractors and implements, target & skeet shooting, and spending time with my wife and children.

One of these days I will take my uncle up on a hunting trip for deer, elk, and maybe bear.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:00 PM   #33
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Hello Everyon

Thought this was the best website with "serious" shooter, meaning when you have alot of people who have screennames from Sci-Fi movies or something, it makes you wonder. (I am a big Star Wars fan). Not trying to pick on people, need to have fun doing this, so I guess screennames should be fun. Most of what I have read is great, and seems everyone is very knowledgeable. Looking forwards to blogs and info.

Question #1 for the day: Reloading. When I see the cookbooks for reloading, for example, .223 I see different grains for different bullets from different makers. Ex. .223 (55 grains) from Barnes, and if you use H335, it'll say for a minimum load, you only need 23 grains. But for another bullet, same grain, it'll say to use 23.5. Along with that, they'll specify a certain brass maker, i.e. Remington or another. I thought if the grain for a caliber is the same, then you are safe to use the H335 minimum for most loads and the maker of the brass should not be an issue?? Hope I didn't conuse anyone.

Anyone have any load info for Lake City brass .223? Thanks Guys and Galls!!!

Last edited by Solvo Pium; March 31, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old April 1, 2009, 04:08 PM   #34
Keech

Hello all. New forum member here. Have enjoyed reading posts for a while and recently decided to join. I'm 55 years young and have been shooting since I was 12.
I'm a Vietnam veteran and have 18 years experience in law enforcement, security management and corporate investigations. Have owned S&W revolvers and semi-autos, H&Ks, SIGS, Colt 1911s, and now carry a Kahr PM9 or a FNP 40 depending on the job requirements and the weather/clothing.
Hope to learn and few things and offer anything I can.
Good luck to you all and God bless our troops!
Keech
Old April 1, 2009, 06:41 PM   #35
Rian

Hello

Hello to all. My name is Rian. I've been reading the forum for some time now and figure it's time to say hello. I've learned alot from you all and appreciate the information.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:53 PM   #36
old knife buddy

just saw this post my name is bruce im 54 live north west n.j. tri state area
Old April 1, 2009, 10:13 PM   #37
22250shooter

hi everybody. new to the site. my name is brian. been shooting since i could hold a gun, but still considered very young "25" with alot of learning to do. ive been reloading now for about 6 years, but like said i have alot to learn. hopefully i can get some help on this site for some questions i may come across.
Old April 2, 2009, 03:54 AM   #38
Hellbilly5000

Im mike from austin tx (librel mecca of the midwest) althou i will say as librel as austin is the librels here even like there guns. Im 30 years old and am a supervisor for a security company here in austin. I am currently trying to get on with the texas dept of criminal justice to be a corrections officer.
I own a few guns and am always trying to convice my wife to let me buy more (she keeps tellin me that rent is more important then guns and i dont know why) I was active in demolay when i was younger (if you dont know dont ask) been in and out if the army and try to go target shooting as often as possible
Old April 2, 2009, 10:35 AM   #39
HuntinHabit

Great to meet you all....

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for about 2 months now, decided it was time to join.

I'm 40 years old and married with three kids, 15, 13, and 9. Started bowhunting at 13, and got into guns shortly thereafter. I have several rifles, shotguns, and handguns, but rarely hunt with them, I just prefer bowhunting. I signed up for a CCW class and started poking around here to find a pistol that I could carry, the Anaconda and Buckmark I already had aren't exactly carry guns. With info from you guys and other forums, I looked at a lot of guns, mostly new. Although I found a bunch that I really liked, I found a used SW 3913 for a price I could not pass up. Bought a case of 9mm, 5 mags, and a Desantis holster also. Class is coming up in about 3 weeks, and I'm heading to the range tomorrow morning to shoot the SW for the first time. And I'm already eyeing a couple other pistols...

Looking forward to joining the conversations.

Dennis
Old April 2, 2009, 03:32 PM   #40
PDBILL

New to the Fourm

Hi My name is Bill Wilson Or PD Bill and I'm new to the fourm. I got on the the Fourm when I was looking for information on a EAA Witness Match.
By the way great information and I bought the gun. I've been shooting for over 20 years and got my wife itto IDPA. she shoots a S&W M&P 9mm. Well that it. I live in Texas and can't wait to here from you all.

Bill
Old April 3, 2009, 09:45 AM   #41
Irishman

I'm new to the board but a lifelong shooter. I recently got into black powder revolvers and found this board looking for info on my new hobby.
So far I am really impressed with the board (i didn't know anything like this existed)
I'm pretty much your average country boy. I'm 32 years old. born and raised in central Arkansas

I tend to be a single action guy when it comes to pistols. Always have been. I love some history to my firearms. I am a hunter, a plinker, and a target shooter. I am also soon to get my concealed carry permit so I suspect I will use the forum for some advice on that as well.

Thanks for having me guys

Last edited by Irishman; April 3, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old April 3, 2009, 10:20 PM   #42
Lambdebois

New member here also.....

Current guns:
1. Mossberg 500A Pistal grip, modified choke, side sadle, 18" barrel
2. Ruger 10-22, several 25 round banana magazines, bushnell 4x32 riflescope
3. Tikka T-3 Lite 30-06, Sims recoil pad, 3-9x40 leupold rifleman scope
4. Glock 32, 357 sig, one 13 rnd mag, one 15 rnd mag, and one 17 rnd mag, speedloader, front night sight, drop in .40S&W barrel also
5. Smith & Wesson 686P 357 magnum 7 shot revolver

Currently looking for:
1. A good condition SKS or possibly an ak-47
2. A used but well taken care of .50cal BMG Rifle

I look forward to learning from you guys and sharing what I can.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:14 PM   #43
warriors42

Hello all. Although I am new to the site I am not new to the world of firearms. I am 48 years old, and was fortunate enough to have a father that loved the out doors, and firearms, and he passed that passion onto me,

Even though I have been around firearms most of my life I know there is still plenty I can learn, your site looks great, and full of knowledgeable people. I look forward to interacting here.

Joe
Old April 4, 2009, 03:13 AM   #44
porrpk

pleased to meet you

hello internets,

californian, just getting into trap shooting and looking to purchase a rifle, but starting out with a 10/22. been shooting handguns and shotguns at the ranges, but haven't been hunting in a long time.

looking for advice on mods for 10/22 for beginners, trap shooting, what type of semi-auto shotgun would be a good one to buy used.

happy shooting! (safe too)
Old April 4, 2009, 02:51 PM   #45
Dave_Shotgun

Hello everyone. This site looks very informative. I'm new to shooting and recently passed the non-restricted and restricted firearms training courses. I'm 28 and I'm from Canada. I'm planning on buying a 12 gauge shotgun and just reading up on whatever I can find on them.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:00 PM   #46
Jofaba

Hello, my name is Joshua. I've always been interested in firearms, and in High School I actually wanted to join SWAT, but my life never got that exciting. I was an impressive shot with a bb gun when I was a kid, but never handled an actual firearm until just under a year ago. Met a guy at work who had land you could shoot on, and the opportunity was there. I turn 28 in July.

Not long after that, I purchased my first gun in a private sale from my friend: a Yugo SKS. I've since modified (or butchered it, depending on your opinion) to the specs in my signature. I soon afterwords purchased a new Walther P22, and the taste grew from there. I've since purchased seven firearms, two of which I no longer own. My biggest mistake, one of the two sold, was a Mossberg Rolling Thunder. I'm embarrassed by that purchase, but I feel that the rest of my collection is very nice, and I enjoy them all.

I look forward to joining this community and sharing my enthusiasm for the sport of shooting, the practice of self defense, and the discussions of 2nd Amendment rights and gun legislation.

Speaking of the latter, I don't really fit into any mold. I voted for Obama. I fully support him, but I do (obviously) fear for my newly exercised 2nd Amendment rights (and other things). I have my CC permit pending in the state of Maine, which is a shall-issue state, and hope that I never find myself an opportunity to exercise THAT right, but I will be ready to if my hand is forced.

I am opinionated but I am always open for other viewpoints, and consider myself a constant learner. I am not impressionable, but I do not consider my viewpoints infallible. My goal in joining this community is to learn from others, most of whom I feel have much more experience and knowledge than I have, and I will never discount someone's point of view or write you off.

Otherwise, I am into video games, movies, and writing. I specialize in science fiction (not fantasy, I lean heavily towards actual science, even if speculative, in my writing) and other various genres of fiction. I also plan on writing a non-fiction book on an introduction to gun ownership, gun reviews, as well as game and movie reviews.

So that's that, nice to meet you all and look forward to some engaging conversation!

- Joshua
Old April 5, 2009, 04:27 PM   #47
Bob Moore

Gun Safe questions

I'm a new member going through the big D and need to change the combination on my Morgan gun safe. Anyone know how to do that?
Old April 6, 2009, 04:02 PM   #48
412driver

New here

North Carolina resident.with gun powder in my veins, been outa gun biz awhile but getting back. Never much for shotguns but for home defense they make sense. Just got a Express 12 ga, Turkish made and a Rem 1100. I am looking for a stock with vertcal grip for the Express. Was told Moss 500 would work, anyone have info?
Old April 7, 2009, 08:27 AM   #49
recoilguy

Hello,

I am 50yrs old and live in MN where I fish every day and enjoy the seasons. I dig riding my motorcycles and spend time with the family out on the lake. I hunt big game in Montana and birds in MN South Dakota and Iowa. I have been a rifle shooter since 1967 and shotguns since 1971. I bought my first pistol this year and now I have 2 of them. I really love shooting and the challenge of getting better. I will buy another pistol soon. I am reading through this site looking for information and guidance. The site is helpful, at times I get lost in the my brand is better then your brand retoric. There have been many threads that I have read that have helped me in recent purchases and tweaking some trouble I have getting consistant groups.

All in all this is a very helpful and very good source of information and ideas. I will be here often.

RCG

Last edited by recoilguy; April 7, 2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: forgot a word in a sentence
Old April 7, 2009, 10:53 AM   #50
ericg13

Introduce Myself

Stopping in to say hi and introduce myself. Eric from Illinois, like to hunt small bird and trap shoot. I am shooting a Citori which my dad gave to me. I do have questions about that gun but I will get to that at a later time (after looking through all the forums). So being a noob, I do thank all you for sharing your knowlege.

Last edited by ericg13; April 7, 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent