The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 9, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1
BobH

Of Special Importance to Gun Owners

UPDATED ! ! ! ! ! ! ! - Link is now correct!

In reading a thread here yesterday, someone had posted a link to this site:

http://www.guncite.com/journals/okslip.html

I was intrigued and read then re-read this treatise by 2 law professors. It is one of the most interesting things I've ever read. I urge you to read it.

In fact, if I could wave a magic wand and bend folks to my way of thinking (heh, heh, heh - who in his right mind would make such a statement on a gun enthusisasts site), I'd make reading this mandatory and force everyone to take a quiz on its contents before posting or reading this forum. [ He SAID WITH TONGUE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK!! ]

Seriously folks. This document analyzes how slippery slopes occur and what to look for as enabling conditions and how they evolve over time. The authors use an examination of gun ownership laws in Great Britain as the paradigm for examining the slippery slope phenomenon. The treatise is excellent both for the slippery slope treatment and for the information reported about how gun ownership and other very important civil rights traditionally enjoyed by the British have been taken from them.

I URGE YOU TO READ IT.

And thank you to whomever posted the link. I tried to find the thread so I could attribute your sponsorship but thought it more important - for the moment - to encourage everyone to read the treatise. My apologies for taking the liberty.

Since posting this originally, I found the thread wherein I found the link to this law review article. It was posted by SigFanTN in about the 45-46th post in this thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...guncite&page=2

Last edited by BobH; March 9, 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: correct link; correct citation for source of link
Old March 9, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2
C Philip

That link references a file on someone's own hard drive, not on the internet.
Old March 9, 2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Creature

Kinda hard to get to when its linked to a document on your dad's desktop....
Old March 9, 2009, 06:45 PM   #4
SigfanTN

Your link is broken...looks like you saved it on your PC.

In this http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=336755 thread I had posted this link:
http://guncite.com/journals/okslip.html

I agree that it is very interesting reading. It is easy to see (as if it hasn't been already) how "reasonable restrictions" turn into a nightmare for gun owners. I really have a soft spot for our friends across the pond, but they allowed it to happen. I know they don't have a document like our COTUS, but it's still sad to see a population virtually disarmed.
Old March 9, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Dry by, wrong forum, gneral over and over again malarkey...

IBTL or M

WildwhatsnototloveAlaska ™
Old March 9, 2009, 07:08 PM   #6
SigfanTN

Quote:
Dry by, wrong forum, gneral over and over again malarkey...
I agree wrong forum...mods move or close this as they see fit...

What's dry by?

WA, your posts are usually fun reads, so in case this one stays open, what's the malarkey part? That this couldn't happen here or the accuracy of the information?
Old March 9, 2009, 07:21 PM   #7
BobH

Can't Figure Out What's Wrong

Sorry about this bad link, folks! I copied the HTML to my computer and then used that as the link by mistake.

Here is the correct link:

http://www.guncite.com/journals/okslip.html

I checked it this time in Preview and it works.

This is not a drive by (unless I seriously misunderstand the term). Read it closely. The consequences of the 'few changes' that have been promised by the new administration are cited as one of the steps down a slippery slope.

Again, I urge everyone to read it. It is pro civil liberties and defends - among others - the Second Amendment.

UPDATE: I've discovered that I put this in the wrong forum topic, too. (Don't you just HATE new folks who don't pay attention!). It should be in the Law and Civil Liberties forum topic, I suppose; but, then again, maybe it should be posted as a sticky in every forum topic. Guess it depends on how important you think the content to be.

Sorry for my mistakes folks! I'm still finding my way here on The Firing Line.

Last edited by BobH; March 9, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old March 9, 2009, 10:38 PM   #8
bob.a

An interesting paper on the erosion of rights in England. Thanks for the link.