The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 31, 2005, 08:24 AM   #1
boogeyman

folding knife advice

I've found myself with a renewed interest in folding knives. If you could clear up a couple of things since I'm still a newb. I'm looking for a folding knife that has around a 3" blade and no greater than a 4" handle (it should be able to dissapear in a relatively small pocket) so the handle must be thin. The knife is going to be both an EDC and a boat knife. With that being said, I think that the blade should be made of S30V. Would the spyderco native fit the bill? Also, should it be smooth or combo edged? I don't anticipate cutting rope or anything (but it does happen), truth be told I don't want to sharpen a serrated blade. If someone has better advice than S30V than by all means suggest it. Also, I'd like to keep the knife under $100 since it could be dropped into the deep blue.
Old October 31, 2005, 09:20 AM   #2
Bowtier

Kershaw

I'm a big fan of Cold Steel knives. But I just bought 2 lockblades by Kershaw, designed by Ken Onion, they are really nice. One is kind of small, maybe 3" open with a smooth blade. I got it for my dad. The one I got is 6" open with about a 2 3/4" blade with a combo edge, sharp as a razor! Nice & thin too. The coolest part about them is the "assisted" open feature . There is some kind of cam or something inside, just push a little nub on the back of the blade and it flys open quick, a lot like a switchblade. Good for quick access.
Old October 31, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3
exoduster16

Easy....

....the Gerber Parafarame ll. It's what I use in a daily basis. I've owned it for about a year now and it has taking a beating and it still looks new. I have the one with the titanium nitrade coating.
Remington Model 11-87 12 guage
Remington Model 870 Express 12 Gauge w/18.5 in. barrel
And plenty of ammo for all of them
Old October 31, 2005, 12:23 PM   #4
TheeBadOne

M.O.D. Trident has been one of the best EDC knives I've ever owned.
Old October 31, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5
model 25

I am a big fan of Spyderco, I like to be able to hold something in one hand and be able to open my Knife and cut something with the other. I only use a serrated edge and I sharpen it with ceramics. This is my work knife.

Old October 31, 2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Mikeyboy

I usually wear a shirt and tie to work and the knife I like to carry is a Gerber LT (I think it is actually 3 letters LT something). 3 inch blade, no belt clip, about the same length and width of a bic lighter but real thin, less than a half an inch. It is real lightweight too, you can slip it into your pocket and forget about it, yet easy to pull and open with one hand. You can buy them for about $20.
Old October 31, 2005, 01:39 PM   #7
sendec

If you like Spyderco, look no farther than the Delica, or if size allows, the Endura. The also have the extremely corrosion resistant "Salt" series, which are purpose built for the marine environment.

I prefer the combo edges, sharpening them on the Spyderco isnt difficult, and for lines and heavy material the serrations cannot be beat.
Old October 31, 2005, 01:56 PM   #8
JR47

If you're going to be operating around rope in a marine envionment, look at the Spyderco Harpy. Do get the serrated edge, and ceramic sticks will work on the serrations.

I've carried Spyderco knives since they first appeared. At that time, the pocket clip was formed from the scale of the knife, as an integral piece. I carried a Standard until it was lost in a blizzard while operating at a building collapse in 1993-94. I bought another Standard, and it's sitting on my hip as I write this. The closest thing to the Standard today is the Delica II. At a 2 5/8" blade, and all stainless construction, it's as close to indestructible as you'll get for under $50.00
Old October 31, 2005, 02:27 PM   #9
svtruth

Boat Knife

I sail a lot. I have a Buck cross lock that can be opened one handed, has a liner lock and has two blades, a blade and a tool. Each blade has a different serration on the back so you can tell which you are opening without looking. Only works for righties though. Also have a David Boye dendritic, cobalt carbide knife which has the sharpest durable edge I have ever used.
Good luck.
Old October 31, 2005, 02:43 PM   #10
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I too am a big fan of the Kershaw leek knives from Ken Onion, and also
the Voyager from Cold Steel. I use one or the other on a daily
basis, and I have NO complaints. Both, are razor sharp~!
Old October 31, 2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Ya know fellers (as he prepares to be laughed off the planet), I must be an older, set-in-my-ways fart than I thought, because after all these years, I still prefer and carry my trusty old Buck folding hunter in a belt holster. It's never failed me, and the folks at Buck are the greatest to deal with (at least they were and I hope they still are; been awhile). Bench Made, Cold Steel, all great knives, but a little too pricey for my taste. I don't want a knife that I'm afraid to use in rough conditions for fear of a second mortgage to replace it. And while I can't really explain it, those that have SWAT, or Special Forces, or Black Ops, etc. on the blade absolutely drive me nuts! Yep, give me a plain Jane, un-tacticool Buck every time.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 31, 2005, 03:18 PM   #12
Musketeer

I carry a Kershaw every day. I find it to be a slim and durable knife and is FAST on the openning thanks to the SpeedSafe feature. Note, it is NOT a switchblade as the blade is openned by pressing directly on the blade, not on a button or actuating device.
Old October 31, 2005, 03:22 PM   #13
springmom

cheers for Capt. Charlie

Buck knives are inexpensive, relative to some of the stuff out there, but they'll last forever. I'll join you as we get laughed off the planet because *I* don't know the acronym EDC.

Springmom the old fart #2

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 31, 2005, 03:27 PM   #14
Pilot

Benchmade 710. If you're cutting rope, get the combo plane (half plane, half serrated). Its one of my EDC's along with the shorter, less expensive BM 551S and CRKT M16-13.
Old October 31, 2005, 03:56 PM   #15
'75Scout

Spyderco Salt. Will not rust is marine environments. Spyderco is a great brand.
Old October 31, 2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Dragun

one word: SWAT. sorry charlie, had to to it. my smith-wesson swat is the shiznit. its just a name for this model, like BM 551S or M16-13 or any other name they give a knife. it's just easier to say. that said, my swat is 440 surgical stainless blade and handle. no liner as the handle is the liner and the lock is a frame lock as opposed to a liner lock. 1/4 inch thick excluding the pocket clip. paid $35 bucks for the midsize swat with a 3+ inch blade, then found his big brother with a 4+ inch blade at a gunshow for $30 bucks. doesn't break the bank so go ahead and drop them into the deep blue.

crappy camera/phone pic so please forgive the low res.
http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=swswat15kg.jpg

i never liked serrated blades and tend to feel they are for only good if you don't know how to sharpen a blade. i don't have time to sharpen all those little cresents so after sharpening a serrated blade everyday for a couple months, a serrated blade becomes a smooth blade anyways.
Old October 31, 2005, 06:50 PM   #17
the possum

If you plan to cut a lot of really big synthetic rope, (like, over 2" diamter) then I agree the serrated edge will be better. But if this is more of a "general purpose" folder and the rope is only occasionally, then I'd say go with the straight edge. It will work better for darn near everything else provided you keep it sharp, and that is much easier to do with a straight edge.
Old October 31, 2005, 07:03 PM   #18
losangeles

Kershaw Onion Leek model might work for you. I would have suggested others but you have a blade length restriction.
Old October 31, 2005, 11:02 PM   #19
blackmind

You will not go wrong with anything by Spyderco or Benchmade. I cannot decide which I like more.

I am partial to the Benchmade Mini Griptilian, but it does not have a slim handle -- more of a hand-filling one.

The Spyderco Para Military may be of the dimensions you are looking for. I have one and really like it, but I don't carry it. (It's tucked away as a treasure. And it's about $100 or so and I don't like using knives that cost that much.) I can't remember the dimensions.

Check out websites like KnifeCenter.com for good deals and quality merchandise. (That's a very searchable site, too. That's part of why I like it. Prices there are okay.)

The Benchmade Ascent series might do you. I think they make them in Taiwan but still of very good quality. (They are mostly American-made, but now Benchmade has a line of foreign-made econo-knives.)

Don't bother with serrations. I hate them. I liked combo-edged knives for a while, and now I go for straight. Like you, I hate sharpening serrations. HATE it. And you get such better, cleaner cuts with straight plain edges.

If this will be a boat knife, near water (particularly salt water), consider the Benchmade SALT. They now have a couple of different ones, I think.

-blackmind
Old October 31, 2005, 11:09 PM   #20
Blackwater OPS

The colombia river knife[edit] and tool company makes some great knives, I started carring one when my kershaw wore out.

Currently I carry the M16-14LE, quick to open, nice looks and tough sharp blade. Its pretty big but thay have smaller sizes.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old October 31, 2005, 11:10 PM   #21
blackmind

Yeah, well, you won't wear out a Benchmade!

-blackmind
Old October 31, 2005, 11:44 PM   #22
Dragun

as with most (expensive) good knife makers, you wont wear it out but i bet i could snap the tip off of one. seems to be a lot of thin blades to me. i stab my knife into a soft 2x4 and then bend it sideways. if the tip breaks off i put another tip on it. my gerbers and my swats just rip out a hunk of wood with the tip intact. i refuse to pay more than 50 bucks for a knife. usually less. if you payed say $100 bucks or more would you even try this test?
Old October 31, 2005, 11:50 PM   #23
Gravitas1

I carry a Gerber FAST somethin' er other knife. Pocket clip, assisted opening (automatic basically), sharp edge, sturdy, THIN, about 50 bucks, you could attach a lanyard, about a 3 or 3 and a half inch blade. Good simple utilitarian knife. A lot of the "bells and wistles" of the other knives at a much lower price. I own several hundred knives and I'm very happy with this Gerber.
Old October 31, 2005, 11:59 PM   #24
blackmind

I have nothing against a good Gerber knife. I think that for way-mass-produced Taiwanese stuff, they are functional and durable and reliable. Some of them even look cool. But I bought the Frame Lock something or other and it, as a folder with one-hand-opening thumbstud, was a total P.O.S.!

I like those Gator-grip ones, and some of their fixed-blade knives as well, but then the Gator-grip folders are not one-hand-openers as I prefer.

No, I do not subject my knives to crazy metal-bending stress tests. I think that if my knife blade is reasonably thick, and of a quality steel, it'll do just fine; perhaps it would pass such a test swimmingly. But since I'll be slicing or stabbing with it, not opening paint cans ("the right tool for the right job"), why would I care how much lateral pressure I can put on the tip before it snaps??

-blackmind
Old November 1, 2005, 12:06 AM   #25
Gravitas1

yeah I must admit I've seen some pretty [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]ty Gerber knives, but my FAST knife is pretty good. I also have an older one, prolly somethin' like 40 years old and it too is a good one, back when they were actually made in America. Made in Taiwan??? Really? Better than China I guess.