The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 10, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1
steelbird

Broke the extractor spring on my Uberti

Just like the title says, the extractor spring on my Uberti Chisolm broke. For those who may not know the model, it's the same as the Cattleman, but with steel where the brass would be, and with dark checkered grips. Anyhow, I looked at VTI and Uberti's sites, only to find that I'd need to buy the whole collection of springs just to get that one. I will probably poke around at Ace, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, or my local flea market to see if I can find something similar, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a suitable replacement that didn't entail having to buy the whole spring set.
Old July 10, 2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Hawg

The Chisolm is the same as the Hombre except steel grip frame and checkered grips. The Cattleman doesn't come in a matte finish. You might try ebay for an ejector spring. Does it not work with both pieces in it?
Old July 10, 2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Harbor freight sells a bag of springs

and one of them might be the right size
Old July 10, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
steelbird

Yes it does still function

But the break was just enough to reduce the tension, so the rod drops back a bit into the chambers when I raise the gun. Just enough to be annoying and block the cylinder from rotating.

But thanks, Doc - that might just work. I was also thinking ( of course, after I posted ) that a guide rod spring from a semi-auto pistol could work, too. Of course, the problem would be figuring out which one.... There's a Harbor Freight that just opened up in my neck of the woods. I'll see if they've got that bag of springs there.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Hawg

I know you said you didn't want a set but this reduced power set is well worth the money. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...322270_d_11663
Old July 10, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
steelbird

Forgot about Wolff

Thanks, Hawg -

I completely forgot about Wolff - a 40-something "senior moment", I suppose. Also, the parts kit from Uberti and VTI are both at $40.00, before the shipping. $23.00 looks a little better.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

PM me your address Steelbird. I've got a few extra ejector springs & can send you one.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 11, 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
sltm1

Ya know you could always make a spacer out of brass tube for about $.43 if ya wanted
Old July 11, 2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Spring in the mail.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce