The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Bubba the Roach

JSP 158GR vs 158gr JHP

Okay so being new to reloading I read alot about everything. I have been shooting a lot of PMC bronze 158gr JSP, which seems to perform fairly well in both revolver and 1894c. But can buy hornady 158gr ftx for $18 a 100 at the wal mart and JSP for around $20 for 100 online not including shipping. Been loading the Hornady's with 7gr Unique for a fairly mild load but would rather shoot the JSP with Lil'gun. what is ya'lls thought on this?

Bubba
Old June 29, 2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Adamantium

6 of one, half dozen of the other? Almost every reloader has their preferences on what they like to shoot. I'd never let a component preference get between me and not shooting but spending a couple extra bucks here or there doesn't bother me so much.
Old June 29, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
jmortimer

I like Unique but if you want more "speed" I would look at AA9 or 2400 or 4227 or Power Pistol, or H110/W296 before Lil'gun. I have read about errosion issues with Lil'gun at high-end.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
I have read about errosion issues with Lil'gun at high-end.
Yep, me too. I gave up on Lil' Gun in all of my revolvers. Since for me, it never outperformed H110/W296 and IMR4227, it wasn't hard to let it go.

As for the JHP vs JSP, I have found those from any major/reputable manufacturer perform about the same. I buy what's the cheapest at the time when I need them. For targets I use JHPs and for hunting I use either JSPs or XTP-FPs. I have found the XTPs(both HPs and FPs) to be accurate, widely available and reasonably priced. Remmie JHPs when on sale are reasonable when bought in bulk and are accurate also. I have yet to see any reason to use those red-tipped FTX bullets in any of my revolvers. At revolver ranges and velocities they perform no differently that standard HPs and I don't need to trim cases shorter than standard.
Old June 29, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
jmortimer

Don't rule out hardcast bullets. They are cheaper and work real good for plinking, self-defense (assuming overpenetration is not an issue) and hunting for less $$$. Also, easier on your barrel and you can use less powder. 158 grain hardcast SWC is a beautiful thing, as is any hardcast bullet as far as I'm concerned.
Old June 29, 2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Shootest

I agree hardcast is the way to go for target shooting. It is a waste of money throwing jackets at paper.
Old June 29, 2012, 01:45 PM   #7
amamnn

I've been shooting Lil Gun in all my magnums for over 10 years and have had no signs of accelerated throat erosion-For me, it works better than 110. 296 is not even on my radar anymore since it tended to throw out half burnt embers in all directions--including--most importantly--back at me--2 different lots of it did that same thing in 3 different revolvers--call me wimpy, but I don't like flaming cinders in my face..........

Going from Unique to Lil gun or 296 might be something of a shock if you are recoil sensitive--the slower powders will increase perceived recoil. I've used HS-6 or N-540 in magnums with success. I do better downrange if I have a little slap in the palm with each shot so I use the slow stuff...I know others at bowling pin shoots here that use bullseye or 231 and do well with it...to each his own