The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 19, 2018, 01:41 AM   #26
Jeff22

I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA since 1978 and IDPA since 2001.

All my guns have always been stock except for sights except for my Colt Combat Commander that has different sights and a speed safety and a trigger job (4-3/4 lbs) and a beavertail grip safety.

I usually shoot in Production Class in USPSA and in Stock Service Pistol class in IDPA although I am classified in everything in both disciplines except for CCO. That's my next project.

I like the old IDPA classifiers (both the 90 round version and the 72 round version) as tests of basic skills. Shoot those a bunch of times and note where you have problems and that way you know what to practice further. The 5 X 5 classifier is a nice little CoF too.
Old September 19, 2018, 10:17 AM   #27
RickB

All of the IDPA classifiers are good practice, but none of them correlates very strongly with match performance.
The 5x5 has no transitions, no movement, no cover, which are all important skills for success in IDPA or any other dynamic shooting.
I like the old 90rd classifier, even if it did have too much emphasis on 15-20yd shooting; good skills, but out of proportion to what you see in IDPA competition.
Old September 19, 2018, 10:33 AM   #28
MarkCO

Good for you! Stared the 3rd IDPA club in the US in 1996 along with Tom Judd and Michael Bane. We ran the few few CO State matches. Have started 3 more IDPA clubs since. It is a good game to get into action pistol shooting.

I liked the old 90 round classifier too Rick.
Old September 19, 2018, 02:10 PM   #29
MisterCrabby

Agree about the classifier.

I shot a club match on Sunday and North Porter County Cons Club. Nice people. Really cool stages. Got to shoot from around a pickup truck.

It was hot! By last stage most of us were pretty wiped.

So, a couple of observations/learning:

One is regarding limited capacity guns like my xde 45 and poppers/ movers. And maybe everyone has to deal with this but it’s not very realistic or fun to have to count rounds and mag changes to get to the poppers with enough left to engage.

The other is to stop rushing. As i critique myself I know I’m taking shots before picking up front site and ensuring I have it on target. I was 48 down. Most of the guys in the top 20 were under 30 down.

Anybody else shoot this weekend?
Old September 19, 2018, 06:20 PM   #30
Jim Watson

Got to learn to take your time in a hurry. (Earp)

In my younger years, I actually ranked higher in CDP with 8+1 than ESP 10+1. I hope I can regain my approach as I set up in CCP.
You must make reload planning second nature.
I see a lot of CoFs with activator at shot 9, mover at 10-11.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:24 AM   #31
RickB

Quote:
One is regarding limited capacity guns like my xde 45 and poppers/ movers. And maybe everyone has to deal with this but it’s not very realistic or fun to have to count rounds and mag changes to get to the poppers with enough left to engage.
What's unrealistic is thinking you will be able to count rounds in a gunfight. That's why the slidelock reload is considered "standard"; the first clue that you'll need to reload in a self-defense situation is realizing the gun is empty.

The emphasis on reloads in practical competition is itself somewhat unrealistic, what with the average self-defense situation summarized as "three seconds, three yards, three shots", but I'd still like to have skills that may be needed in the worst way.
Old September 20, 2018, 10:58 AM   #32
Jim Watson

Quote:
The emphasis on reloads in practical competition is itself somewhat unrealistic,
I agree, but one instructor who was NOT of the "competition will get you killed on the street" school of thought, said that it will help to think of an IPSC (now USPSA or IDPA) stage as several different defensive encounters strung together.
Old September 20, 2018, 01:19 PM   #33
RickB

Our state match had an expansive, 18rd stage with 18 targets to be engaged one-each; if you think about it as a single encounter with one threat in a maze, it could be "realistic"?
Old September 20, 2018, 02:26 PM   #34
zincwarrior

Best not to think of these that way, just as fun competitions, like golf with guns instead.
Old September 21, 2018, 07:19 PM   #35
MisterCrabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior View Post
Best not to think of these that way, just as fun competitions, like golf with guns instead.

Exactly.

There is some applicability to defensive shooting. But it ain’t training.

Also, in combat you better be fing counting rounds. You be better be doing tac reloads. You get slide lock at the wrong time yer fing dead. Stupidest thing I ever heard to wait till slide lock. Really fing stupid.
Old September 24, 2018, 11:28 AM   #36
RickB

Who said anything about "waiting" for slidelock; it's going to come a heck of a lot sooner than you want it to!
Old September 24, 2018, 04:10 PM   #37
Jim Watson

Jeff Cooper thought you could and should count rounds to an empty magazine - loaded chamber reload even in actual combat, but that was back when he was touting the 1911 with GI 7 shot magazines. Higher capacity makes it harder to keep track.

USPSA Open or Limited shooters don't go to slidelock, but they are reloading at convenient places in the stage and usually abandoning ammunition, not actually counting shots on the fly. At least I am.
IDPA requires you to shoot to slidelock or make the sleight of hand Tac Load. I don't count rounds there, either, but I know by feel when the gun is empty and reload without hesitation.
Old September 26, 2018, 10:04 PM   #38
Wagonman

I have been shooting IDPA for a few months.. I shoot my duty rig in concealed. I haven't met an -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- yet. Huge difference from qualifications to shooting on move. I'm hooked
Old September 27, 2018, 11:49 AM   #39
RickB

Quote:
USPSA Open or Limited shooters don't go to slidelock, but they are reloading at convenient places in the stage and usually abandoning ammunition, not actually counting shots on the fly. At least I am.
IDPA requires you to shoot to slidelock or make the sleight of hand Tac Load. I don't count rounds there, either, but I know by feel when the gun is empty and reload without hesitation.
And you've probably seen plans fall completely apart when someone fires one extra round; now, the gun is empty after hitting the activator, or a reload is flat-footed rather than moving, or racking the slide because the shooter isn't sure if there's a round in the chamber, or not?
And that's after planning in advance, multiple walk-throughs. . . and you're going to keep track accurately "on the street" when someone is shooting at you?
Old September 27, 2018, 11:56 PM   #40
Wagonman

Are you doing zombie shoot?
Old September 29, 2018, 01:46 PM   #41
MisterCrabby

Yep!!

No match this weekend. Will just have to play golf and drink beer to make up for it
Old September 29, 2018, 01:49 PM   #42
Glenn E. Meyer

We've been rained out for ages now. Bah!

Hoping for a match tomorrow.