The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1
crooked stripe

Smoke and fire

We are giving a demonstration on shooting to the scouts. .22 caliber and up. What ever the other folks have to shoot they are bringing. I have a 45 colt and would like to load up some bullets that produce a good muzzle flash and as much smoke as I can get without going to black powder. First I have no experience with black powder and the stories I have heard I want nothing to do with it. Would someone give me some ideas of a powder that would produce as much fire and smoke as I can get? This hole thing is for fun and we have a 50' place the scouts can shoot 22's after the demo is finished. Thanks for any help as I can get. John
Old June 23, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Pyrodex.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old June 23, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Pahoo

The smoke and smell is part of it

Quote:
I have heard I want nothing to do with it.
Then for the most part, the same thing is going to hold true for Pyrodex. On replacement M/L propellants, the manufatures have tried to retain the smoke. Instead I would suggest American Pioneer or 777 and then there is Blackhorn 209. You will still have the smoke. It will cost you and see if someone can give you just a bit, for your project.

I know some of you folks feel that BP is still the greatest and that's fine. I'm just trying to address the OP's request. I cut my teeth on BP and nothing can compare to the smoke it makes. Also one of those smells that will burn into your brain, forever. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 23, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
crooked stripe

Those powders mentioned are still black powder aren't they? I just can't bring myself to cleaning my investments with soap and water. And like I said I know nothing about black powder. If no smoke and fire then so be it. Just one of my crazy ideas anyways. Thanks, John
Old June 23, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
mrawesome22

Only black powder is black powder.

The others are bp substitutes.

For "proper", old school 45Colt loads, bp would be the way to go though. I believe Goex is the only one left making the stuff.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old June 24, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Pahoo

The learning curve

Quote:
Those powders mentioned are still black powder aren't they? I just can't bring myself to cleaning my investments with soap and water. And like I said I know nothing about black powder. If no smoke and fire then so be it. Just one of my crazy ideas anyways.
No sir; the basic difference is the presence of "Sulphur". By your post, that is what you are trying to shy away from. Sulphur is present in BP and Pyrodex. Hot soapy water does not have to be a big problem but certainly a concern, mostly with revolvers. ....
A friend of mine loaded some 777 in some long-colts and he did not like the results as it's was still pretty dirty. Regardless of what powder you use, you will still have to solvent clean. Also, it's not a crazy idea and we have done these kinds of demos and adds to the learning curve. Is it worth the effort? Your call. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 25, 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
SonOfGun

HERCO will smoke
Old June 25, 2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Power Pistol will flash and bang. It will smoke appreciably if you use regular wax lubed cast bullets, although not like real gunpowder, of course.
Old June 26, 2012, 05:26 PM   #9
mingheemouse

I have always found Hodgdon Universal to be pretty smoky and flashy, and gets extra smoky if you tumble lube your bullets with Lee Liquid Alox. Hodgdon has .45 Colt SAA loads from 160gr to 300gr with it. Six rounds will leave a serious haze between you and your target, particularly indoors.
Old June 26, 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
crooked stripe

Great ideas, I have some of the mixes and will give it a try. Thank you all. John
Old June 26, 2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Jeff H

Cast bullets (with the wax lubes) and Bullseye powder smoke pretty good in the low pressure rounds, but no where near as much as BP.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:27 AM   #12
jmorris

Dont know if I would do it around a scout group or not but as teenagers we always enjoyed shooting the old paint cans that were clogged up and wouldn't spray.

Old June 27, 2012, 09:42 AM   #13
crooked stripe

Fantastic

What a show. Scouts will never see this from me. Look at all the fun I missed not thinking of this. Will have to give it a try. Thanks. John
Old June 27, 2012, 06:07 PM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

Best thing I can think of is to buy an el cheapo cap and ball revolver, and use some corn meal filler with Triple7 powder. I get a nice smoke cloud shooting it with my 51 navy brass framed .36 cal.

If using Triple7 use some corn meal on top it gives a bit more smoke that way.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Lost Sheep

Is it within reason just to buy a 20 round box of Black Powder cartridges. I know they would be pricey, but this is a once in a great while thing.
Solves all the "how do I handle this stuff while loading" questions.

Cleaning is not that difficult. I don't believe you HAVE to use soap and water. A normal cleaning with ordinary solvents and oiling afterwards seems to me to be able to clean steel just as well.

Lost Sheep
Old June 27, 2012, 08:38 PM   #16
crooked stripe

That is one thing I never though about. I don't recall ever seeing them for sale. With reloading the only bullets I buy are 22s so I am never strolling through the bullet isles.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:08 PM   #17
mrawesome22

You would, more than likely have to order them. No hazmat on loaded cartridges.

But why not just load some of your normal loads with Pyrodex?

You can't get enough in to cause an over pressure. Just eyeball it to where you think the base of the bullet will be. Compression won't hurt a thing.

I've never used water to clean up Pyrodex. Just the usual shotgun cleaners.

There is something magical about all that smoke and rotten egg smell.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:05 AM   #18
crooked stripe

Thank you I will try it. I was watching cap and ball revolver video clips last night and there is no way putting black powder inside a cartrage would be as dirty as the paper method. John
Old June 28, 2012, 11:31 PM   #19
10-96

On cleaning- google up "Moose Milk" and "Ballistol". It's water mixed with Balistol, which emulsifys. The water evaporates out of it and leaves the oil. I forget what property it has that neutralizes the sulfers and salts, but.... oh duh, I guess that's the water doing it's part.

Considering your target audience is scouts, they would probably benefit from knowing about all the uses for Ballistol anyhow.

http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/firearms.html

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.